Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #1

Malibu on an EZE Tow Dolly

I am considering purchase of an EZE Tow Dolly to tow our 2008 Malibu. I have a trailer hitch installed on the car. Does anyone have a similar setup? I am concerned with the hitch hitting the ground due to the reduced ground clearance of the hitch, especially entering/exiting gas stations or other ramp like locations.

Also, does anyone know the front tire height when the car is on the dolly? I may be able to jack the car front end to find out how the clearance changes prior to purchase.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I remember correctly you have a gas MH with considerable overhang. With the hitch ball needing to be in the 14 to 16 inch range for the EZ Tow you are going to occasionally drag the ball nut, period. Just grit your teeth, so far as the car the dolly adds about 7.5 inches to front height. If your Malibu has a lot of rear overhang a trailer hitch on it to take the hit might be in order. Enter slowly. Please add your description to the signature so members can help you easier.

BTW: If you jack up the car measure at the bumper not the bottom of the tire.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #3

Thanks. Just did some quick looking. It appears the lowest point is the hitch rather than the ball mount itself. I do have one car that I drive which is very low (3" clearance) and am used to entering/exiting at angles to avoid hitting the front.

I see you are using the ACME dolly, do you find loading/unloading to be a chore? I can flat tow the Malibu but prefer not to hack up all the front air baffles that are required for tow plate installation so the dolly seems like a better choice.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:30 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Thanks. Just did some quick looking. It appears the lowest point is the hitch rather than the ball mount itself. I do have one car that I drive which is very low (3" clearance) and am used to entering/exiting at angles to avoid hitting the front.
Yeah, I had a 78 with the Silver Anniversary Package and Pace Car spoilers, easy does it. Glad to help, what brand MH did you end up with?
Old 07-13-2014, 07:47 PM   #5

2005 Newmar. Tried to update my signature but it appears to have not worked.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The tray of the EZE tow is the lowest of any dolly made, because there is no pivot pan or steering axle...only about 6" off the ground.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-39.jpeg
Views:	1656
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	67794

This picture shows the old style ramps.
More pics are here:
http://cartowdolly.com/gallery/

Doubt the Malibu would have a problem, but couldn't be sure...jacking the car is smart.

About bumping the RV's hitch on the ground, we have only done it once - caused by a car that cut us off in a Denny's parkinglot entrance. Had to cut the turn or slam on the brakes...I knew it was gonna hit, but despite a bit of grinding, there was no damage.

We have a receiver that is at 24" above the ground and use a 8" drop. Puts the hitch at 16" so the dolly's tongue is slightly nose high, but it works perfectly.

We have a light duty receiver on the toad (a small SUV) used to move the dolly around (plus it works for a bike carrier and a cargo tray) and have only needed to use it to move the dolly 1 time in about 15,000miles.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post

I see you are using the ACME dolly, do you find loading/unloading to be a chore? I can flat tow the Malibu but prefer not to hack up all the front air baffles that are required for tow plate installation so the dolly seems like a better choice.
I had missed this part on your post earlier.

If you have the new style (single strap no slide ring) straps and the new metal ramps it is very easy and user friendly. The old straps can be a bit of a pain.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly