Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #1

Manual or Automatic better for a toad

Hello Team RVers,
I have a 2013 Journey and am getting a new vehicle. I am looking at the jeep wranglers. Anyone have an opinion if a manual or automatic transmission is better for a toad for the Jeep Wranglers?
Thanks
Jeffrey
riojeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #2

It seems to me that either can work just fine. There are two concerns. First is what can you do to disconnect the wheels from the transmission. If you have a manual, putting it in neutral is fine for most vehicles. For automatics you must add a disconnect or in the case of Jeep 4 wheel drive, put the axel into neutral.

The other concern is unlocking the steering wheel. Many cars require that the switch be in the on position for the steering to be unlocked. You can either get your mechanic to disable that feature like I did or follow the manufacturers procedure for towing with the switch in the on position.

Both of these concerns should be addressed in the owners manual or by asking the dealer.

My advice - Select the type of car you (Or in my case my wife) likes to drive then take the necessary steps to make it towable. If you are an FMCA member you can get their towing guide which list all cars that are easily towable.

Have fun on the road.

- Jerry
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:57 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not an expert in this subject. But, I do know that some vehicle automatic transmissions will be destroyed when towing "all wheels down". You must determine which vehicles are safe to tow in this manner.
Also, it seems to me that leaving the ignition "on" for hours at a time might result in a dead battery. And, that means key in the ignition and doors unlocked. Thus, while you are away from your vehicle, making the towed vehicle an easy target for a thief with a vise-grip plier or adjustable wrench. Unless, of course, you remember to turn off the ignition and lock the doors. Food for thought.

"To travel is to live"
travelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:54 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Here's the skinny from a Jeep owner who has towed over 30,000 miles. Either the automatic or standard are perfectly fine on a Wrangler. The transfer case goes in neutral and the shifter back in park if it's automatic, or in a low gear if it's a standard. Extremely easy to set up and tow. Mine is automatic, so here's the process.
1)With engine running, Shift transmission to neutral.
2)Shift transfer case to neutral
3)Shift transmission back to D then R and rev the engine to verify TC is neutral.
4)Shift transmission back to neutral, kill the engine and shift the transmission into Park. If you try to shift into Park before killing the engine, the gears will grind (that from experience).

Make sure you didn't set the parking brake.

I've towed for three days in a row with an RVI2 brake and never ran the battery down enough to even tell. No auxiliary wiring is necessary with this brake.

When you unhook, put the transmission in neutral with the engine running and shift the transfer case back to 2H and you're ready to go.

That's all there is to it. If it's newer than a 2008, the key does not have to stay in the ignition since the steering doesn't lock.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What does the DW want to drive in traffic? We have 3 stick shifts, but they are not town cars, The Toad and DWs is an auto.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:25 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On a Jeep Wrangler and flat tow, no difference between auto and manual. The transfer case is what allows the flat towing. So choose whichever you prefer. Note that for off-roading, most folks prefer auto.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, toad