Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:36 AM   #1

Master tow dolly ????????

I've recently purchased a new Master tow dolly and I'm on the road alone. I can't seem to unhook my car, Toyota Camry, without a third hand. I wonder if anyone knows a secret to doing this. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I tow a Camry 2005 with a master tow dolly. Perhaps I can help. Can you describe your specific problem please.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Old 04-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #3

Sure, I can't release the hold down straps without a third hand. I hold up the lever with one hand and push down another part on the bottom and the straps are supposed to come free at that time and they don't. I hope you understand what I'm trying to write.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:19 PM   #4

Been a while since I used mine and not sure if the straps are still the same - on my 2012 to release the straps you first released the handle (pulling up on the lever in the handle and then insert a flat blade screwdriver and pry toward the handle. This releases the rachet mechanism and allows you to pull the handle and unwind the strap. if you happen to have the users manual (one page) there were instructions there. Or maybe a call to Tow Master would get a better worded suggestion
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gma-n-Gpa View Post
Been a while since I used mine and not sure if the straps are still the same - on my 2012 to release the straps you first released the handle (pulling up on the lever in the handle and then insert a flat blade screwdriver and pry toward the handle. This releases the rachet mechanism and allows you to pull the handle and unwind the strap. if you happen to have the users manual (one page) there were instructions there. Or maybe a call to Tow Master would get a better worded suggestion
My experience is similar. Pull the release lever all the way up on the handle and the strap should loosen. If you don't have the room to move the handle completely vertical, I also use a screwdriver on the small hole to release the lower cam while holding the lever in the open position. Pictures are on page 8 of the Master Tow manual. (was too big to upload manual)
Old 04-21-2015, 06:37 PM   #6

Thanks for the answers. I have the manual as I recently bought it new and have called them. I have pulled the release lever all the way up and inserted a 8 inch screwdriver and still need another hand. At this point I think I should mention I normally drive 4 to 5 days without releasing the car and tighten the straps before I get started and another time during the day.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:39 AM   #7

Given your process (tightening every day) I can understand how the strap would come under significant pressure. I might suggest a slight modification to your process. At the end or beginning of each day release the tension on the straps and retighten. That may help with the "binding" you are experiencing. Not sure what other advice or suggestion I can offer at this point. Sorry Maybe others can chime in and offer alternatives.
Curtsr - does this match your experience?
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:26 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I tighten my straps extremely tight also, you can't move the ratchet at all. Haven't gone more than 2 days without disconnecting toad, so I can't comment on time beyond that. However, no matter how tight the straps are, they come loose easily using a screwdriver. I use a 6 inch Phillips screwdriver in the small hole on the plate to loosen the cam pushing down on the catch mechanism while holding the handle latch open. My toad has skirts and I can't open the handle enough to release the ratchet and must use the screwdriver every time.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:51 AM   #9

Gma n Gpa, Thanks for the suggestion on loosening the straps daily and retighting them I will see if that works, it sounds completely reasonable.

Curtsr, Do you ever have a third hand? Skirts, I love it haven't had a car with skirts since my 55 Olds.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:43 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by easywind View Post
Gma n Gpa, Thanks for the suggestion on loosening the straps daily and retighting them I will see if that works, it sounds completely reasonable.

Curtsr, Do you ever have a third hand? Skirts, I love it haven't had a car with skirts since my 55 Olds.

I called them skirts, I guess they are really called spoilers... I load and unload the trailer by myself, no third hand.. takes about 10 minutes on a dry day.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly