Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2015, 09:37 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Metal Brake Buddy

I have a new to me metal Brake Buddy and I don't have an instruction manual for it. The toad (came with the BB) has an emergency switch in the grill which the previous owners instructed me to use. But the problem is I can't figure out where the attachment to the BB is for the emergency wire. How does the BB know there's an emergency? Are there any online manuals? I've tried the Brake Buddy website and there's no mention of this older unit.
Thank you everyone for all you assistance.
Scott
sdorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2015, 10:13 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The emergency switch should haVe a plastic insert with a ring.. Your break-a-way cable goes one end to the ring (I suggest a clip here) and the other end to a part of your motor home NOT part of the hitch.. Suggestion is to run it through one of the safety cable attachment points and then on to the frame of the MH or some other part NOT part of the hitch.

Finally, Google: Brake Buddy (The model number) Manual
REplacing the portion in prens (and the prens) with the model number

Save resulting PDF to your hard drive.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:06 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you, I'm already set up with the switch and cable by the front bumper. It's the interior wire part that I'm questioning. There literally is no model number on the Tan Metal Brake Buddy to reference, hence my problem finding a manual. I saw somebody selling the same unit on ebay and the manual was included so I know it's out there, somewhere.
sdorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:30 AM   #4

Two wires come out of the back of the breakaway switch. They should be routed into the cabin of the toad and terminate with two banana plugs (the old style 1 wire plugs that speakers used to use). The BB had four plugs in it. Two (one red, and one black or possibly white will take the two plugs from the breakaway. The other two are to light up a bulb in the cab of the towing vehicle to tell you when the BB is activating. The other plugs are for a wireless transmitter that also indicates to a receiver plugged into an outlet in the tow vehicle that the BB is activating. They are junk and break almost immediately.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 07:34 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I should add that the two wires can be plugged into the matching jacks two ways, The Right way and the other Right way (it does not matter)

IF there is an identical one on E-Bay.. Can you snag the model number from the for sale and look for that manual?
Old 12-27-2015, 06:07 AM   #6

If you aren't able to find a manual, let me know, and I can probably find, scan and send you mine. Do you have a pic of your unit?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:56 AM   #7

I have the tan metal one also-- but the manual is in the coach which is in storage. I suggest you just download the manual for the classic, which is listed online at several sites. The operation and controls are the same as the older one, just the packaging (e.g. the housing) has changed.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:13 PM   #8

I too have an older brake buddy in a metal box that I received. Unfortunately no manual.. It has five plugs, I'm assuming the red and black ones at the top of the unit are for the break away, and the wireless transmitter I have has a banana plug and a DC style male plug. Problem is there is a single banana plug and two DC style female plugs on either side of the banana plug! I don't know which DC hole to plug the transmitter into, and I don't know what the other plug would be used for. Any suggestions? Would love to see the manual for it as well. Unit seems to operate just fine, but I can't get the transmitter/receiver unit to function.

Thanks for the help!
analog999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:08 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Attached a manual & pic for my BB Classic. If yours is different, you can contact BB and they'll send you a manual.

They responded very quickly to my request: https://www.brakebuddy.com/#contact

On mine the unit kept jumping up/down when doing the setup and brake test as the piston pulls back in from the brake pedal so quickly. So I put couple bungee cords from the handle to the seat frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201001_174305.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	335058  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Brake Buddy Classic Manual - 2004.pdf (277.8 KB, 16 views)

Tags
brake