Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:42 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
MGB Roadster as a toad?

Does anyone tow an MGB 4 speed tranny car? Or have any knowledge if one is towable with tranny damage? I'm considering one as a playtoy type car and wondered if they would be towable.

capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2014, 06:33 AM   #2

Not sure they make a tow bar, but I would be more concerned with it getting beat up. I would like to take my Vette but it would have to be in a enclosed trailer.

vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:22 AM   #3

I'm a former MG Midget owner and have often thought about an MG or Triumph TOAD. I've seen a few people towing MGs behind their MHs and I'm pretty sure (as you probably are) that towing those manual transmissions in neutral will cause no damage. I suggest you contact one of the local British Car/MG clubs in your area. I just did a quick google search and it looks like there are several in Oregon. I'll bet there are plenty of expert resources that can answer your question. One thing that concerned me about an MG Toad is the strong wind vortices coming off the MH and damaging the convertible top over time. A removable hard top would of course be the solution. Another concern is reliability. Those cars are getting pretty old, even when they were new they required more TLC than most other cars. I've found that most RV Parks do not allow maintenance to be performed in the parks. That might be a problem. As far as the car getting beat up, as vettnuts suggested, I've been using the Protect-a-Tow on my Fiat. I've towed it for about 8000 miles now with no damage to the car. Good luck.

http://protectatow.tripod.com/
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:27 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are some post in this forum and many more on the MG Experience MGB & GT Forum : MG Experience Forums : The MG Experience.
I have often thought of doing the same to one of mine, just haven't got the round tuit.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #5

Don't be too sure. Quite a lot of British cars' stick-shift transmissions have a lube pump driven by the input shaft from the engine. I wiped out my Ford Cortina gearbox towing it behind our Marquis Colony Park station wagon on a cross-country trip. It was quite a surprise to suddenly start slowing down without braking - then I saw the smoke from the toad's back tires!
Old 11-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #6
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I'd be concerned about beating up the car. After all, they are more stiffly sprung and not as durable as most regular toads. I used to know some people who flat-towed their racecars behind their Pickups or Suburbans, and even then it was hard for them to know what the car was doing all the time. One guy seriously damaged his 914 because his Suburban drove right through a slippery corner, but the 914 hung its tail out and hit the curb hard. I'd get a cheap open trailer if it were me. The 2 or 3 grand for a used one would be worth it.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I own a black 1980 MGB LE (the last year they were made)with an O/D tranny.

Mine cannot be flat towed because of lack of lubrication to the overdrive unit.

Most MG owners say you cannot flat tow even a regular transmission car because of lack of lubrication to the rear output shaft although there are a few saying they have done it many times without any issues.

All MG's have a mechanically driven odometer so towing also would rack up additional mileage.

Also it sits so low that you would have to use a pretty severe drop down hitch to avoid a steep tow bar angle.

Add to that the fact that it is a classic convertible and with the physical abuse it might encounter being flat towed then I would seriously consider trailering it if you must take it along .

Mine only has 22,000 original miles and is in beautiful condition that even if it was flat towable I wouldn't take that chance.

Besides we're already having a blast towing our F150 twin turbo rocket truck!
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:49 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Before I decide to go ahead and buy my potential project car with the idea of occasionally towing it I will look into the available tow bracket issue, or custom build one. The mechanical odometer cable is another thing to consider, although I believe that can be disconnected temporarily, although that seems a bit 'shifty' for any potential sale later on. The option of course is simply putting the car on a trailer. Things to consider!

Thank you kind sirs for your sage advice.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Trailers work!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brits in sticks (13).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	501.1 KB
ID:	80093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Levenworth 09 (27).jpg