Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #29
Fleetwood Owners Club
Just took our 2010 Cadillac SRX in for service (oil change). Dealer noticed I had tow rig set up on it. His only statement was we might want to change transmission fluid more often that the manual says to. This car is front wheel drive, I think it's transmission was used in the Saturn cars also. I do have to pull 3 fuses before I tow or the battery will be dead when I stop. This car does not have a key, just a fob, so I have to start the car, place tranny in neutral then press button to kill it. This leaves the dash on, the GPS on, and evidently a bunch of other stuff also. It does not show any "toad" mileage. I use a separate electrical feed straight from the battery to power the Brake Buddy.

currently in Bridgeport, TX

2000 Fleetwood American Eagle DP
2010 Cadillac SRX, 4 bicycles
Fulltiming since Oct. 2, 2010. Kerry & Bess Ann
BABrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #30
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Not to throw a monkey wrench in the mix here, but...

The original contention was not whether a modern car would or would not register miles as it was being towed, but whether or not it was legal for it not to. I don't know the answer.

Years ago we had a Geo Tracker (We thought it was perfect toad. Light, and it would go anywhere we pointed it.) and, at the time, REMCO sold a solinoid that screwed into the side of the transmission and the cable screwed into that. I had it wired so when plugged into the wire harness of the motor home the solinoid would open, preventing mileage from accumulating on the odometer. They no longer sell these and some have contended because they are illegal, that it is, in fact, illegal for a towed car not to register miles as it is being towed. Again, I don't know what the law is, nor how we'd comply if it is required.

Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #31
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by chapdog
Thought I had read a number of times here and elsewhere that mileage did not accumulate on the odometer on a toad while flat towing.

Played golf with a gentleman today who works at Kia here in Kamloops, BC. He said that it's illegal for a toad not to register all miles whether being towed or otherwise. I countered saying I thought I had heard that it is not. He responded suggesting that it might not be for older ones but for today's newer digitally logged cars he was quite confident he was right.

Is there a definitive yes or no on whether toads register miles on their odometer while being towed?
Or is it qualified by year, make, model, how you hook it up, whether key is on or....?

BTW, I'm leaning hard toward a Honda CRV EXL 4WD 2009-2011 for my toad.

Oops, Should have put this in the Toad section.
Hogwash. Our 08 Jeep Wrangler does not register mileage while being towed.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #32
Maybe in Canada where you met the gentleman. I couldn't find any laws regarding towed vehicle odometer readings.

I tow my 2004 Buick Rendezvous 4 down. I have a battery disconnect for the toad.
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #33
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
If it was illegal for mileage not to register, the auto manufacturers wouldn't build them that way.
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #34
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Our old Tracker does pile up the miles as we go. I don't really care since it was towed by a PO and we got it with 96K on the clock. Up over 100K now and most of it in tow but we don't figure on selling it soon and if so don't think we will make a fortune anyway. It's in good shape and a great little toad.

I am so-so on how this should work. If your not driving it the motor isn't running but if you are towing it part of the drive train is spinning and causing wear on it. Should perspective buyers of your used vehicle be privy to this info? We were full aware that some or most of the miles on ours were in tow because it had the base plate and wiring already there. For us this was two good things. Less stuff to buy and maybe it had a lot less miles than the odometer showed.
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #35
2010 Explorer and it don't run the mileage. How could it be illegal? Can you get a ticket? Guys an idiot.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #36
Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by Dave and Jaime View Post
Our 2009 CRV EX-L will not record miles when towed if you have the key in the "I" position but it WILL record miles if you have it in the "II" position. The owner's manual explains the proper procedure for towing a CRV. Can't speak for anything newer than 2009 but I think the 2010, at least, did not change this feature.

I wouldn't be surprised if some manufacturers are trying to do away with the zero miles while towing feature, though, since that would cause the new warranty to expire sooner and save them some money.
Beyond starting, running, and moving the shifter through the prescribed sequence, with your CRV do you have the battery dieing issues I've read about here and if so do you pull any fuses to prevent same?

'05 Dutch Star 4011
chapdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #37
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Illegal for the miles towed not to register.

Well.. If you believe as I do that a car should record all miles driven.. That might apply.
BUT if you also believe as I do that a car in tow, is a TRAILER, And dang few (Relative) Trailers have odometers (Believe it or not some do) then he's nuts.

If you dolly tow with the drive wheels on the dolly, NO MILLAGE
If you tow with an axle lock or drive shaft disconnect NO MILLAGE

If your odometer is electroinc and the ignition needs to be on for it to rack 'em up, NO MILLAGE.

The person who told you it's illegal.. NO MILLAGE,, ur, No BRAINage, UR, ask to see he law degree. Or better yet. ask to see the law itself.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #38
Monaco Owners Club
My 09 CRV does not register while under tow.
Bev & Dick and Fuzzy the cat
2005 Safari Cheetah 38
2009 Honda CRV dinghy
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In general, if the key is in Accessory, a vehicle with an electronic speedometer/odometer will not register mileage. It will if you turn the key to "On", though. That activates the engine electroncis, which does the recording.

No US state requires that miles be recorded under tow. But the reference was to a gent in British Columbia, which may have different laws.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #40
Monaco Owners Club
Many toads are 4x4 vehicles, when you have the transfer case in neutral the vehicle should not be recording any mileage.
2005 Diplomat 40PDQ, Jeep Liberty Diesel Toad
Randy, Pam & Rascal (150lb Rottweiler in a Jack Russell Terrier body)
jeepsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #41
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Towing a 2010 Honda CRV AWD 4 down with a Falcon 2 tow bar. NO mileage added while towing the Honda. Your dealer friend is wrong.
Steve & Leslie
Winnebago 2007 Adventurer 38T
Honda 2010 CR-V "Toad"
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #42
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In another time and place you hear the phrase "Show me the money" as it were.

I'd ask the "Expert" to: Show me the law.

wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote