Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:08 AM   #1

I looked at the postings on this subject- they were posted a couple of years ago. I am wondering if there is any current information regarding towing a Mini Cooper 4-down. I have seen a couple of them towed this way but have not been successful in talking to their owners.

I realize that the factory does not support this practice, but often the factory takes this position as a matter of convenience, deciding not to do the thorough testing required before taking a positive stance.

So what I'm really looking for are any technical reasons why the car cannot be towed 4 down... or responses from those who may be towing 4 down today (I am not interested in using a dolly).

Thanks,
skip

If interested, come visit us in the iRV2 Chatters chat room. We're there just about every evening from about 8:30pm eastern until about 10:00pm. It's a great bunch of folks!

Skip- Kerrville, TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2006, 07:08 AM   #2

I looked at the postings on this subject- they were posted a couple of years ago. I am wondering if there is any current information regarding towing a Mini Cooper 4-down. I have seen a couple of them towed this way but have not been successful in talking to their owners.

I realize that the factory does not support this practice, but often the factory takes this position as a matter of convenience, deciding not to do the thorough testing required before taking a positive stance.

So what I'm really looking for are any technical reasons why the car cannot be towed 4 down... or responses from those who may be towing 4 down today (I am not interested in using a dolly).

Thanks,
skip

If interested, come visit us in the iRV2 Chatters chat room. We're there just about every evening from about 8:30pm eastern until about 10:00pm. It's a great bunch of folks!

Old 06-23-2006, 07:18 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Skip, AdrianLee of this forum currently tows a Mini four down....I've seen it firsthand.

His "Cooper" is a manual transmission,but I don't know of any restrictions for the auto version.

I'll drop him a line and get him on board here to give you his findings....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 08:00 AM   #4

Thanks, Bob. If we decide to give up the Miata and go to the Mini we will definitely go with the standard shift and probably with the Mini Cooper 'S' which has the six speed.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:04 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I have a Mini with a 6-speed that I tow using a tow dolly because Mini told me I couldn't tow 4-wheels down. I have read on another forum that someone towed a Mini 4 down for 3000 miles without a problem. The post was more than a year old. I sent him a message asking for an update, but haven't heard from him, yet.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:07 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

I've seen AdrianLee's setup personally and he's towed a 6 speed four down, ALL over the U.S.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 05:19 PM   #7

Thanks for your help Micheal. I gave up on the Mini and bought a Scion xA. It's not a Mini but in some ways that's even better, at least for me. It is towable 4 down with the standard transmission, has a bit more room and a useable rear seat. Now, If I could just get some more power....

Skip

Old 07-22-2006, 05:28 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The one thing the Mini has is plenty of power. I got a special computer program and put a smaller drive pully for the supercharger and picked up about 25 horsepower more. Now, if I could only keep the tires happy . . .
Old 07-26-2006, 03:57 PM   #9

I have a 2005 Mini Cooper S w/6-speed Manual Transmission.

It has 9000 miles on the clock (miles registered on the odometer) and over 11,000 miles being used as a toad (towed vehicle). I use TowMaster base plates and a RoadMaster Falcon II towbar.

Mounted LED (boat) turn/stop lights on the rear "package self" and wired directly to the MH tow connector for activation. No Diodes, just direct hook-up. Put the transmission in neutral, turn the key on and then back to "Acc" position - keeps the steering wheel unlocked and does not run down battery - Oh! Turn off the radio.

Have NO problems of any sort while towing or after towing or before towing or anytime.

Did hit a pothole that took out both front tires - not while towing - impact breaks. I guess I was going too fast to hit the "Mega" pothole safely.

PHE

PS took out the rear seats, no one to sit back there - and put in a Mini-Floor. A flat plastic panel that levels the rear floor, cost ~$100. It gives a lot more room to haul things like spouse's scooter.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:37 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PHESPE
PS took out the rear seats, no one to sit back there - and put in a Mini-Floor. A flat plastic panel that levels the rear floor, cost ~$100. It gives a lot more room to haul things like spouse's scooter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where can I find information about the Mini-Floor?

Do you use any brakes for the Mini when you tow it?
Old 08-04-2006, 12:20 PM   #11

No brakes as it weights 2600 lbs gross, and my DP weights 29,000 lbs gross.

Look at seat delete