Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-26-2005, 11:19 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Can a Mini Cooper with a manual transmission be towed with all four down? I've done many searches on this subject but have not determined the answer. Most of the info I've found is not very current. Apparently the manufacturer "does not recommend it," but some hitch companies make base plates for them.

Any insight?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2005, 11:19 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Can a Mini Cooper with a manual transmission be towed with all four down? I've done many searches on this subject but have not determined the answer. Most of the info I've found is not very current. Apparently the manufacturer "does not recommend it," but some hitch companies make base plates for them.

Any insight?

Old 06-26-2005, 07:39 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've seen it said here before, "just because a hitch company makes a base plate for it, doesn't mean its towable." If the mfg says no, IMO you would be asking for trouble if you tow w/o some mod like axel disconnect or tranny pump.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:14 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Probably good advice --- was hoping someone was going to reply that they do it with no problems. Oh well! Thanks
Old 07-18-2005, 05:40 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeeTheUSA:
Probably good advice --- was hoping someone was going to reply that they do it with no problems. Oh well! Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I do. The dealer said he knew of no reason why you could not tow it 4 down - if you have the manual transmission. He did ask that I let him know if it registered mileage when towing/ - It doesn't. I have had the Mini about 6 months and it tows like a dream and (so far) no indication that there has been, or will be, any transmission damage.

Mini says - in the 2005 owner's manual page 136 -
"Towing Methods
In some countries it is not permitted to tow the vehicle with a tow bar.... Familiarize yourself with the towing regulations for the country in which you are driving in.

"Being Towed
Make sure the ignition key id position 1; otherwise the steering lock could engage and prevent the vehicle from being steered.

"with a tow bar:
Only attach the tow bar to the towing eyelets. Other parts of the vehicle could otherwise be
damaged

Now all this (and more) information seams to be aimed at towing a disabled vehicle. But I think it is very significant that there is no restriction on the speed or distance that the vehicle can be towed. I think that if you could tow a MINI any distance at any speed when disabled you could do the same when it is running right.

PHE
Old 07-21-2005, 01:26 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Very good information, PHESPE !!! Happy to learn about your success. My wife and I love the MINI Coopers. Don't have one yet, but need to get something towable --- so still shopping!

How are you set up to tow yours? Wondering about baseplates, towbars, braking, etc.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:30 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Well, you wouldn't have to tow it at all if you had one of these:

The Travel Supreme mid engined coach has a rear garage. I'm pretty sure that the Mini Cooper is the only car that will fit in it (other than ATVs, bikes, etc). No bugs, no stone chips, no tow bars.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:39 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow! That would be the ultimate arrangement!

MINI Cooper sales brochure says the car is 143.1 inches long overall --- that's just under 12 feet, so it should fit.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:11 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeeTheUSA:
Very good information, PHESPE !!! Happy to learn about your success. My wife and I love the MINI Coopers. Don't have one yet, but need to get something towable --- so still shopping!

How are you set up to tow yours? Wondering about baseplates, towbars, braking, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry about the late reply.
I have Roadmaster Base-plates and they are somewhat different for the 2005 modles even though they were listed them as the same for all years of the Mini. Took them a while to figure that the 05 Miini was different than the earlier years. Once I got the correct ones they were easy to put on and work well. I have a Falcon II towbar and it is easy to use and works great. There's a guy on eBay that sell new Roadmaster Basp-plates and Tow-bars - new, dropped shipped from the factory. His prices are about half what the dealers want.

I tow with a DP that weighs greater than 26,000 lbs and the Mini weighs less than 2600 lbs so I did not see the need for brakes. Also in the state I live in the law requires brakes if the towed vehicle weighs more than "4 Tons" (quote for the NC Statutes) so I am OK there.

If you want brakes I would suggest one of the "break in a box" such as the Break Buddy? or the Appollo. I would get he cheapest one as I see no need for any thing fancy. The other ones such as SMI and US Gear and much better in the function and engineering areas but installing them would be a bear in the MINI.

Best of Luck and have fun with your MINI - I sure am.

PHESPE