Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:48 PM   #1

Mini Cooper Coupe

Does anyone have any experience with towing a Mini Cooper? We own a 2013 Coupe with a standard transmission that we plan to tow. From what we can tell is an acceptable choice. We checked with the dealer and also on Remco's site and since we already own it we believe it will be a good choice but would welcome honest feedback. We are new at all of this and would appreciate hearing your experiences.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2015, 10:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My Mini has been going where it is towed for 12 years. Sanford PS when you turn off the motor do NOT remove the key. That way the steering wheel will turn with NO drain on the battery.

deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:33 AM   #3

I have been towing my '12 Countryman using a tow dolly. I just recently purchased a car trailer, I think that will be slightly easier than the dolly, plus I can backup.
Leaving the key in the ignition will run down the battery, I was told by the dealer that even having the key close to the car will allow the computers to remain powered. I found this out when I noticed a check engine light after being parked overnight next to the coach. I left the key in a spot that was within 20' of the car... and the fault code was for excessive battery drain.
You might check with the dealer to see if a fuse can be pulled to prevent the drain.
Go MINI!
dhlairbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:38 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We have been towing ours for the last 2 years with no issue.

No key required but we had to re wire the lighter plug to the battery to have the brake buddy run without the ignition on
Bleclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:16 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Have been towing a 2009 Clubman for 4 years,over 35,000 miles on a Demco dolly. I shortened the platform where the wheel are situated so that the articulation of the dolly doesn't cause the front wheels to turn. Recently put run flat tires on the car to give more assurance that a flat tire wont ruin the day/wheel.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:16 PM   #6

We tow a 2012 Mini Countryman behind our 2012 Mountain Aire and don't even know it's tagging along. It's a manual transmission. Just hook it up, put it in neutral with the emergency brake off, and the key FOB out (I just keep it in the MH while we travel), and go. No fuss, on muss. Never had any problems. No pulling fuses or anything else, and that makes it very simple. Great car for that use.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:37 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My old Mini 2002 with a 6 speed manual still has a "hole" to stick the key into. No battery drain with the key left in the steering lock doesn't lock. (wheels turn) We tow with all fours on the pavement no dolly to park etc. Our 2002 ELECTRIC blue is now a 2015 color. Looked at the new ones and noticed 97% were automatics. Glad we got a manual with a super charger. We added Air Force One and of course tire sensors. Sanford

deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote