Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2015, 10:23 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Ours is a 2002 Super Charged Mini that goes where it is towed. Sanford P. S. When towing we turn key on and then off, but do NOT pull key out and the steering wheel will turn while towing with NO battery drain.
My Mini is a STANDARD 6 SPEED MANUAL, and it has been towed on all "four" for 10 years and NO problems. Don't need a tow dolly to park etc. We use a Blue Ox tow bar rated at 5,000 lbs and is LIGHT WEIGHT ALUMINUM. Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #16

We tow a 2012 MINI "S" all 4 down, and it works out great.
Hook it up, put it in neutral (manual trans), and off you go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NewportBeach.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	114307  
Beach Aire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:58 AM   #17

Mini Cooper as Toad

The Mini I just bought for towing behind my Class C came with this tow (see pic).
Can anyone identify the maker of this tow bar?
Emmett
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mini Tow.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	114354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini Tow 1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	114355  

txsailorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:37 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
My 07 Cooper S tows well. As DeSanford stated turn off the ignition but leave the key in.

People is battery still goes dead! MINI rep tells me to run a charge line as the 07 Cooper is till drawing from the battery even though ignition is off?

Doesn't sound right to me. Battery is only 2 years old. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1453952222.685251.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	117574

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:51 PM   #19

To all pulling a mini cooper: Our son in law said to us to not ever get one. There is a part, thermostat, I believe, that can and does go bad. When it does, there is No replacement for quite awhile. He worked as a mechanic at a garage here in town, and there were two on the lot, plus some others that he knew of that were down for the count and they only get in like 7 pcs total for the nation. If it were my Mini, I'd be very unhappy. Just letting you know what I know about Minis....let the flames begin.
BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:18 AM   #20

I've toad my 6 Mini for three years. Knock wood no problems. Did have power line for battery run
Love it!
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:54 AM   #21

Mini Cooper as Dinghy (aka Toad)

Today's the day for our 1st trip.....albeit only 5 miles from home. 'Baby Steps' my wife calls it.
We're towing via a Dolly. Brakes off.....but, no where in this thread, or else where, does it mention what gear/neutral (mine is manual shift) to leave the mini, while towing. Any comments?
Emmett
aka txsailorboy
Old 01-28-2016, 11:18 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
If you're using a dolly, the gear shouldn't make a difference. As you noted, be sure the parking brake is off.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:22 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Thought of different ways to pull vehicles such as my Avalanche (too heavy), a Subaru Outback (automatic all wheel drive), trailer motorcycle (what to do with trailer upon arrival).

Got a 09 Mini Cooper JCW convertible and solved all issues. Use the Blue Ox Aventa which is way more than needed but does the job very nicely. Had the time and youtube instructions to do a self installed base plate on the mini. Installed a power line to keep battery charged while towing.

After easy and quick hook up, I just put in neutral, release parking brake and remove key. Steering does not lock and light enough that I haven't needed surge brake but that might come later. Just remember that you never EVER back up when using a tow bar. IF you drive it, it will be fun....
Old 02-02-2016, 07:46 AM   #24

Towing my Mini Cooper S

We had a wonderful trip....and towing the Mini for the first time was successful.
Wx, here in N TX was just perfect!
Pic of RV w/dolly w/ Mini is attached.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00567.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	489.7 KB
ID:	117979

Name:	DSC00569.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	520.2 KB
ID:	117980
Old 02-02-2016, 08:11 AM   #25

Just a word of caution--- some of the later year models of the Mini Coopers' allow you to remove the key FOB and the steering does not lock. However, we have a 2007 Mini Cooper S - 6 speed and tow it 4 down. On this model year the key FOB must be in the slot to keep the steering from locking.

Our Mini Cooper is for sale due to health reasons. It is a great car that is fun to drive, light and easy to tow.
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:51 AM   #26

Here is my 2006 behind my LexingtonClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1454507497.456664.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	118117
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:48 AM   #27

Towing my MINI

Advised by someone on this Forum, I left the key in my MINI...with the tranny in 1st gear.
If I had any problem, it was manhandling the Dolly. I backed the MINI off the Dolly....disconnected the Dolly....then manhandled the Dolly off to the side of the assigned camping space. Unfortunately, the place I moved the Dolly to was somewhat into a depression. When it was time to re-connect, I had a devil of a time manhandling the Dolly up out of the depression.
Later this week I'm having a Trailer Hitch installed on the Mini. My plan is: once disconnected from the RV.... reconnect the Dolly to the Mini & back the Dolly deep into the camping space...then back the RV into the space all the way to the Dolly. When ready to leave, all I have to do is the reconnect the Dolly to the RV....drive up to the street....and then drive the MINI onto the Dolly!!!
Emmett
Old 02-03-2016, 03:42 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
It should be in Park and not in 1st gear assuming you have an automatic. I carry a trailer dolly to move the tow dolly around.

Tags
toad