Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2016, 09:06 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
BobGed,

While it may not have come to light yet, I believe the same situation exists for the Grand Cherokee. In 2016 Jeep changed the V6 motor in the GC to a new lighter Aluminum version. As part of that change, the Grand Cherokee went to the same type of electric power steering that the 2014-2016 Cherokees have. Since the new version of the Grand Cherokee has only been out for 11 months, it may be too early to tell if the problem will present itself on the new model.

That being said, other than being pretty heavy, it has towed flawlessly so far.
I agree that since our newer GCs have electric power steering, we could potentially have the same "death wobble" issue as the Cherokee, but the fact that probably hundreds of us have been out there towing them all over for the last year or more with virtually no problems suggests otherwise. I suspect that the critical difference is the geometry of the GC's front end vs. that of the Cherokee. I have only heard (on this or another forum) of one such incident, and the guy who experienced it described it as an unusual circumstance (following a sharp turn uphill, or something like that) that didn't repeat itself. With several thousand miles towing our GC so far with zero problems, I'm not at all concerned.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2016, 04:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
I agree that since our newer GCs have electric power steering, we could potentially have the same "death wobble" issue as the Cherokee, but the fact that probably hundreds of us have been out there towing them all over for the last year or more with virtually no problems suggests otherwise. I suspect that the critical difference is the geometry of the GC's front end vs. that of the Cherokee. I have only heard (on this or another forum) of one such incident, and the guy who experienced it described it as an unusual circumstance (following a sharp turn uphill, or something like that) that didn't repeat itself. With several thousand miles towing our GC so far with zero problems, I'm not at all concerned.
I agree. I bought one of the first 2016 GC's off the line as a replacement for the 2015 Cherokee that we had. It towed well, and never exhibited any problems towing wise. It's problem was, it spent more time in the dealer's garage than mine. I knew about the electric power steering on the 2015 and that it could cause a problem. What I didn't realize was that the 2016 GC went to EPS as well. Surprise! I really like the 2016 GC. It is a heavy beast for a V10 to pull.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:45 PM   #17

For owners of 2016/17 Grand Cherokee, what are you doing for tail lights when it's being towed?

Demco has a wiring harness for the 2014-15 bug nothing for the 16-17. I asked them but was told no information at this time.

Thanks in advance
hdridermlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdridermlb View Post
For owners of 2016/17 Grand Cherokee, what are you doing for tail lights when it's being towed?

Demco has a wiring harness for the 2014-15 bug nothing for the 16-17. I asked them but was told no information at this time.

Thanks in advance
I used the Demco Harness for the 2015 and it has been working fine. Same with the Blue Ox baseplate. It didn't change from 2015 either.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:34 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Many many many of us cruise at just under 65. It is typically where you get the best mileage and is a comfortable speed for relaxed driving.
What speed do you typically cruise at? If it's at or below 65 then no big deal. Occasionally going over 70 for short periods, like long gentle downgrades will not hurt the tranny; only long sustained speeds are a problem.
Also remember, you will drive the toad much further than you will tow it so get what you like to drive daily and accept the trade off.
I agree. Only a problem if you plan to cruise all day at 75, and most of us don't do that.

As for choosing between the GC and the MKX, drive them both and you will see a big difference in ride and handling. One drives more like a truck, the other more like a car. Take your pick.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:54 AM   #20

I should have included the demco part number for the plug in wiring harness for the Grand Cherokee. This harness has connectors so the toad wiring doesn't need to be cut. They just add diodes in their harness so no wiring has to be cut. Demco said the 2016-17 is to be TBD as far as schedule, which means no schedule for availability.

Demco part number is 9523115 for Jeep Grand Cherokee 2014-15. Has anyone used this on a 2016-17.

Demco part number is 9523134 for Jeep Cherokee 2014-17 which is a different connector or so I was told by Demco, and it won't fit a Grand Cherokee or so I was told.

Trailermate has part number TM781118 for 2014-15 Grand Cherokee but nothing for 2016-17. Again a call to them was TBD, no schedule. These are on the etrailer web site. One of the reviews written by Jeff J says he used this harness on a 2016 Grand Cherokee, however that's the only one I have found. I am on the Tiffinrvnetwork and I sent email to everyone with a 2016-17 Grand Cherokee however they had the wiring done by a dealership and they didn't know what they used which I find odd that owners don't ask. More than likely they spliced in roadmaster diodes which is the usual response I got as I have called around to a couple of local installers. Demco and etrailer said the same thing.

I am going to install roadmaster tow brackets and an SMI Stay IN Play that I bought used, it's 2 years old.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:24 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
We used Blue Ox wiring kit BX8869 (the kind where you drill a hole in the back of your taillight housing and insert an extra bulb) on our 2016 GC. I called Blue Ox customer service before I ordered (via Amazon), and if I recall correctly, they told me that you couldn't use the diode-type wiring kits (which use the existing taillights) because the system that gives you a warning that you have a light out doesn't play well with the diodes. It's worked perfectly for us.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:13 AM   #22

I used the Demco harness for a 2014-2015 Grand Cherokee on my 2016 Grand Cherokee Limited. It works fine. I have had no issues what so ever. So I know the Demco harness will work on a 2016. I can't comment on a 2017.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:50 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
I used the Demco harness for a 2014-2015 Grand Cherokee on my 2016 Grand Cherokee Limited. It works fine. I have had no issues what so ever. So I know the Demco harness will work on a 2016. I can't comment on a 2017.
Thanks! I have a call into Jeep asking if the 2017 electrical to the taillight as well as the tail light is the same as 2016. I am pretty sure it is.

Tags
towing, tow