Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2017, 07:49 AM   #1

Modding 4runner for flat towing vs purchasing different toad

Hi all,

If I want to tow my 2010 4 runner I need a drive shaft disconnect kit.

4WD\AWD is a must for me as is a big cargo area if I did get something else.

A separate toad is not an option.

Any input?

thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2017, 08:00 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My advice: it may be cheaper to sell the 4runner and buy a Chevy Equinox or Ford Edge or maybe a Honda CRV. Can you even get a baseplate for a 4runner?
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
My advice: it may be cheaper to sell the 4runner and buy a Chevy Equinox or Ford Edge or maybe a Honda CRV. Can you even get a baseplate for a 4runner?
Just checked and no base plate for the a 4 runner.

I have driven an Edge and liked it
Old 09-25-2017, 09:11 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use a Ford Flex, it is bigger than the Edge and is AWD. Put in neutral and go.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:16 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If your 4Runner has a manually shifted transfer case then you can flat tow it. If you can't find a tow kit for it a good option is to buy an aftermarket off-road style bumper that has tow hooks on the front. Most of the companies making tow kits make a kit to fit tow hooks.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewbie55 View Post
If your 4Runner has a manually shifted transfer case then you can flat tow it. If you can't find a tow kit for it a good option is to buy an aftermarket off-road style bumper that has tow hooks on the front. Most of the companies making tow kits make a kit to fit tow hooks.
Unfortunately it's an automatic.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:44 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Unfortunately it's an automatic.
Bummer...I know there are ways to get the electronic T-case into neutral but do not know of anyone who has flat towed that way. I bought my 2007 Lexus LX470 specifically because it was the last year for the manual T-Case.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:52 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Toyota will say "no Toyota's can be towed 4 down". I think that is to limit any warranty issues from towing using them as toads.

My father wanted to by a new Tacoma as a toad, they said Toyota re-stated none of their vehicles can be towed 4-down without voiding the warranty
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:25 PM   #9

What you need is a 4Runner Trail Edition base model or the later 4Runner TRD Pro Edition. Toyota started building these in 2012. They are automatic with a manual shift transfer case with neutral position. This makes them fully 4 down towable as is, no modifications needed. Of course Toyota has the blanket statement that none of it's vehicles are towable behind a motorhome for legal reasons. But if you choose to ignore the warning these 4Runner models make excellent toads.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
What you need is a 4Runner Trail Edition base model or the later 4Runner TRD Pro Edition. Toyota started building these in 2012. They are automatic with a manual shift transfer case with neutral position. This makes them fully 4 down towable as is, no modifications needed. Of course Toyota has the blanket statement that none of it's vehicles are towable behind a motorhome for legal reasons. But if you choose to ignore the warning these 4Runner models make excellent toads.
That's great to know, I would love to be able to have a 4 runner as a toad.

Thanks,
Old 09-26-2017, 07:53 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Modding 4runner for flat towing vs purchasing different toad

Roadmaster makes brackets for the 4Runner and yes, you would need driveshaft disconnect on that model 4Runner. I just rigged up my Tundra in the same manner. I looked long and hard at it and debated getting a different toad but really wanted a Toyota and already own the Tundra. The only major difference cost wise is the driveshaft disconnect as you'll need brake system, light wiring etc on any toad. Very happy with my Tundra rig and glad I didn't go with another vehicle.
BW in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW in TX View Post
Roadmaster makes brackets for the 4Runner and yes, you would need driveshaft disconnect on that model 4Runner. I just rigged up my Tundra in the same manner. I looked long and hard at it and debated getting a different toad but really wanted a Toyota and already own the Tundra. The only major difference cost wise is the driveshaft disconnect as you'll need brake system, light wiring etc on any toad. Very happy with my Tundra rig and glad I didn't go with another vehicle.
I am very happy with my 4 runner.
Even though its 7.5 years old it looks new as got aftermarket leather added 2.5 years ago. Also added a rearview camera and remote start.

I would happily keep 4 runner for another 5 years.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:48 AM   #13

I called Remco and my 4 runner can be flat towed with a lube pump.

The lube pump is 1695$ and takes about 6 hours labour and about 2 hours to install the lube pump monitor in the coach. So that's about 2500$
Old 09-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Believe driveshaft disconnect would be cheaper. One concern I had with the lube pump solution was concern of some reports of pump failing and causing trans damage. If pump quits while in tow you may not realize until its too late. Maybe others who have used one can chime in to see if that concern is justified.
BW in TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, tow, towing