Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:56 PM   #1
Moldy Toad

We vacationed overseas for a month. Upon my return I went to check on my toad in storage. It is a Chevy Tracker FWD. I leave it covered with a breathing cover. I took the cover off the vehicle to find that the windows were fogged up on the inside. When I opened the driver's side door I was taken back by the smell of mildew and mold. The inside looked like a Petrie Dish. Almost every inch was covered with mold.

It was obvious that something leaked rain water inside as the carpet was sopping wet. I Started the engine and ran the heater to dry the glass surfaces. I didn't want to sit or do anything inside. I have asthma and in just a few minutes I was running for my rescue inhaler.

I called the insurance company (USAA) and they started a claim and will send an adjuster.

Has anybody had something similar happen to them? The Tracker is a 2001 in good condition but given my health problems I really am concerned about the remedies.

daydream37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #2
I'm sorry to hear that. I also have asthma, and know your pain. Mold will be present inside everything stuffed, under dash, etc. Were it me, I'd find it a new home after ins. settlement.
There is a product to coat and seal mold contaminated items. I found it at a big-box hardware store. It can be bought in areosol-form to spray under the dash, etc. Croncrobium Products
but I have no idea what it will do to electricals.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
I talked with my insurance people today. USAA aren't the the same people I started with 45 years ago. The new bunch are nondescript and weasely. I asked what was covered and does the cause matter. All I got was a dance on the other end of the phone. So, I don't know if a windshield leak or a flood would be covered. Since I was not there at the time I do not know what caused the water intrusion. It is stored in a swampy woodsy area (isn't all of FL) that may or may not have flooded. It didn't leak when I put it back there and it was covered.
2004 Winnebago 30b Motorhome
Accompanied by a 2015 Ford Focus or a 2007 Ural Patrol or 2006 BMW/Hannigan Sidecar Rig
daydream37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:22 PM   #4
Even without Asthma mold is very serious. Where I live if mold is found in a building workplace health and safety padlocks the building. Your insurance should cover this under comprehensive. Don't take no for an answer! If you are sol please get a professional to fix the problem. You sure don't need to aggravate your asthma!
2008 Dynasty 42' Diamond IV
2004 Safari Trek ( Mexico Unit)
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote