Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2013, 05:38 AM   #1

Mopar Jeep Toad Wiring

Based on my recent learnings from installing a Mopar wiring harness in my jeep, I thought I'd post them in an effort to help others.
--The Mopar P/N is 82211156AB.
--It will fit newer Jeeps. I installed mine in a 2013 Wrangler.
--The directions are HORRIBLE! Not a single word, just pics!
--There are 2 connectors in the footwell. The one you can see/touch IS THE WRONG ONE! The correct connector is above and behind this one. It took a small, skinny Chrysler tech to find it for me.... I'm neither.
--ThIS WIRING HARNESS REQUIRES A SEPARATE 12v SUPPLY FROM THE COACH TO WORK!! This power is supplied by the #4 'pin' in a 7 pin connector. There is absolutely no reference to this in anything I could find from Chrysler. Of course my RV (2000 Mountain Aire) didn't have power to this pin, so nothing worked until I ran power to the pin.

It was only SDL that I found a 2010 posting here that explained the 12v problem. Based on that, maybe we could stickie this for future jeep owners.

Despite all the aggravations I'm still happy I used this harness. No warranty issues and no new cables running under my jeep.
jdr159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #2

I have a 2012 Wrangler had the Jeep wiring harness installed by the Jeep dealer, they plugged it into a vehicle on the lot it worked fine. I have towed other vehicles with the MH so I assumed all was fine. When I plugged the Jeep in nothing. The fix like you mentioned is the the 7 pin connector on the MH did not have power, this was added and everything works fine now.
I wish I would have seen this post several months ago it would have saved me a lot of time and some money.
Do Mh generally have power supplied to the 7 pin connector?
Larry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Thanks for figuring this out. Several of us have been befuddled by this part recently, including my local Five Star dealer. Yes, this needs to be a sticky. I would recommend contacting the Moderator of the towing section in order to get that done.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #4

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
No need for Jeep harness, just use independent bulbs for towing very easy and straight forward. Does not affect Jeep wiring/electronics in any way. Installs in existing Jeep light housing, just adds another bulb for tow purposes. Can build your own from most any auto parts store or Blue Ox sells a kit.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaroamer View Post
No need for Jeep harness, just use independent bulbs for towing very easy and straight forward. Does not affect Jeep wiring/electronics in any way. Installs in existing Jeep light housing, just adds another bulb for tow purposes. Can build your own from most any auto parts store or Blue Ox sells a kit.
thats what i did on two jeeps about an hour total install time,cost less than $25.00
brianj
Old 05-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's what I did also after trying the diodes.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:33 AM   #7

I understand the separate bulbs option, but I guess I'm particular. I don't want to be drilling holes in my light assemblies and trying to run wiring all around the outside of the coach. I live in the Northeast and salt is really hard on vehicles. Don't want anymore places for it to get into the jeep. As always, to each their own. I just wanted to let others know what the issues are.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:00 AM   #8

perfect timing, thank you for this info... got the cable in the garage and just waiting for the rv to come from the dealer. I was hesitant instaling this cable since i heard mixed feelings about it. im more prepared now... will let you know how my install goes when its working.... yes, this should be a sticky.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:32 AM   #9

"This power is supplied by the #4 'pin' in a 7 pin connector. There is absolutely no reference to this in anything I could find from Chrysler. Of course my RV (2000 Mountain Aire) didn't have power to this pin, so nothing worked until I ran power to the pin"

How did you run power to this pin?
CarolynanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:28 PM   #10

Hopkins 56200 Plug-In Simple Towed Vehicle Wiring Kit

• Plugs directly into original equipment manufacturer (OEM) wiring system
  • Powers tail lights and turn signals on towed vehicle, safely alerting other drivers
  • Isolates towed vehicle with integrated diodes, protecting your motorhome
  • Mounting bracket and all necessary accessories included
  • No cutting or splicing required allowing for quick and easy installation
I installed this on my 2015 Wrangler.... simple installation.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:32 PM   #11

Power to 7 pin connector

First, you should confirm power/no power to pin #4. Do this using a multi meter from pin 4 to ground. If you have power, stop now, you're all set. If no power, then go to local trailer supply or auto parts store and buy a stand alone fuse block, some appropriate sized wire lugs (rings actually) and butte connectors and 2 conductor, stranded, wire (10-12 gauge. I don't remember which). All these items should be 'waterproof ' if you can get them. I used the starter batteries as my 12v supply. I built up the harness starting at the batteries and working back. I zip tied the cable to the frame until I got to the 7 pin connector. Once there disassemble the connector and connect the POSITIVE wire to pin 4 and the negative to the ground pin. Reassemble and you're done.

If you don't know PIN numbers, google it, there are plenty of pics online.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:38 PM   #12

Used a Cooltech wiring harness on my 2014, easy install.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:13 AM   #13

7 pin power

The issue that the latest poster is asking about is how to get power to the 7 pin connector, NOT what wiring harness to use on the towed vehicle. I'm guessing that all purchased tow vehicle harnesses get power from the same pin in a 7 pin plug. My rv (2000 Newmar Mountian Aire) didn't have power to this pin as I've mentioned in my original post and this was my problem. Based on the other posts, this seems to be a common issue..
Old 11-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #14

Thank you for the info. Will be checking the pin today.
CarolynanBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, wiring