Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:52 PM   #29
One of the Hoots

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A 1-3/8" hole is the perfect size ...

Mopar Wiring harness

Steve

FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #30

Help!!! Need the PIN out for the Mopar Harness

Well I managed to hose things up pretty good.

I went to tow my Jeep for the first time using the Mopar harness. I knew when I hooked it up the cable from the motorhome to the Jeep it seemed a little short, but I thought it would be OK... I was wrong.

Somewhere along the way the cable pulled apart. This damaged the plastic connector on the Jeep side, and the other end dropped down and drug on the ground completely destroying the connector on the end of the cable.

I managed to make it to the campground without incident, but now I need to fix this before hitting the road again.

My thought was to just replace both side of the Mopar 6 pin connector with a more universal 6-PIN connector.

To do this the PIN outs for the connector would help greatly! if anyone has this info please share.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
vtwinwilly, when out and looked at mine.

Jeep side -------------------Cord to Motorhome
Black---------->>------------Black---White
Brown--------->>------------Green
Green--------->>-------------Brown
Yellow--------->>-------------Red
Red------------>>-------------Red---Black

On the cord side small Black splices to large white and small Red splices to large black
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:13 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
vtwinwilly, when out and looked at mine.

Jeep side -------------------Cord to Motorhome
Black---------->>------------Black---White
Brown--------->>------------Green
Green--------->>-------------Brown
Yellow--------->>-------------Red
Red------------>>-------------Red---Black

On the cord side small Black splices to large white and small Red splices to large black
Oh man!!! You're a life saver. That's exactly what I needed.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks a million!
Old 09-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #33

Follow-up

Just thought I'd post a quick follow-up.

I was able to rebuild the connection between the Jeep and the cord going to the motorhome using a standard 4-flat trailer connector for the lights, and a separate 2-flat connector for the 12v(+) and Ground.

I also created the attached wiring diagram that others might find useful.

Interesting thing is that Mopar followed standard color codes for trailers on the Jeep side, but the Bargman cable (from the Jeep connector to the motorhome) did not. (see diagram).

BTW. Grant. In the process of doing this I came to the realization that the only way you could have given me the wire colors (particularly where the wire colors are spliced), was to dismantle your own wiring harness. This is going well above the call of duty ... so to speak. Thank you for that extra effort. This community is absolutely the best!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MoparJeep_Wiring_Diagram2.pdf (53.6 KB, 256 views)
Old 09-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
vtwinwilly, Glad to help.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I hate to be that guy, but...

So I installed my Mopar wiring harness today. After reading all of the related posts I must admit I was a bit apprehensive but I picked up the harness at my local Jeep dealer and got started. I have to say the installation of the wiring harness was a piece of cake compared to what others have described.

I think what made my install go so easy was I pulled the passenger seat. This meant I could easily lay down and look up at the two connectors.

I took my time and the whole job was about 2-1/2 hours including waiting for the paint to dry.
lymanlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:05 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sooooo...

I spoke too soon

While the installation when according to Hoyle, now my airbag light stays on. I remember reading a post about this but now I can't find it. Does anyone recall the resolution or have a pointer to the post?

BTW, I've already rechecked the connections and they're all as they should be.

Thanks,
Lyman
Old 11-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
lymanlouis, If I remember right the last time I hear that problem the connector under the dash was not all the way together.
Read post #14 of this thread.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
lymanlouis, If I remember right the last time I hear that problem the connector under the dash was not all the way together.
Read post #14 of this thread.

Yep...that did it!
Old 01-23-2015, 01:44 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Want to thank everyone who posted on this thread. My husband went to install our harness on our 2015 freedom JR and could not get plugs to attach under dash. Tab was in the way to plug them together. Went to our dealership and talked to someone in sales, then parts, then accessories and they had no answers (one said to just cut off tab). Reading this post, realized that there were two different connections behind glove compartment, and he had the wrong one. Now that he got it plugged together and know will work, he can go ahead and drill holes etc and finish.
Thanks everyone.
DMM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:50 PM   #40

I installed my mopar kit a few weeks ago and went to hook up to my motorhome and didn't like the length of the 7 blade cord as it seemed just a bit short. I could have gone back and tried to make the wire lume more direct but just decided to buy an 8' 7 wire with exposed wires on the other end and wire it in. The kit comes with a 6' cord. "vtwinwilly" that pdf you posted will really help me out as it gets delivered from Amazon tomorrow. I didn't have the huge problems many people have had with their installations. Mine went in fairly easy. For anybody reading this post and doing the installation themselves here are a few bullet points I would say and I know they have been all mentioned before here and there, but just for summary:
-It's the second connection you reach for under dash and must connect them "perfectly" to work
-Use larger hole drill bit than the 1 1/8 the poor instructions list
-Removal of fender isn't necessary if the tire is removed and fender slightly pulled back to get your hand in there (personal choice)
-*Now most important*. If you don't have 12v constant power on your RV side 7 pin it won't work. Most should, but for instance my GMC truck didn't until I hooked it up myself. My motorhome 12v was working

Thanks to this forum it really helped my install. I really like this kit since it used factory wiring from connection back to lights. Didn't require drilling into tail lights and used power from motorhome to light up instead of battery draw off jeep in which low jeep battery could be low illumination of tail lights without a trickle charger
Millennial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:42 PM   #41

Thanks for all the valuable info here - I got my Mopar wiring Harness installed and everything works great... Now I am looking at a Invisibrake braking system and wondering about all the comments around having diodes to separate out the feedback to the M/H when the brake pedal is activated by the Invisibrake and potential for the Brake light to override the turn signal - does anyone have a similar setup with answers?
bmfickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:53 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use an EvenBrake, they supply a relay with the brake kit that is installed on the towed brake switch wiring that prevents the brake lights on the towed from coming on when the pedal is pressed. eTrailer sells the relay kit here Roadmaster Brake-Lite Relay Kit for Towed Vehicles Roadmaster Tow Bar Braking Systems RM-88400.

UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring