Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
Like UsualSuspect, I too have towed my Jeep with the Brake Buddy plugged into the always hot port inside the center console.

I have towed for 3 days this way and when reaching my destination had no sign that the battery was weak or run down.

I suppose I could tap into the 12v supply coming from the coach, but so far haven't found it to be necessary.

As they say... "Your mileage may vary!"
Gotta say I towed with a Patriot braking unit that uses 12 VDC to power the electric motor to apply the brakes, and never had the Wrangler battery go dead after a day of towing. I as part of my end-of-travel-day procedures would run the engine to recharge the battery, so don't know if I would've got two or three days out of it - but from what others say, I suspect I would have. I believe the toads that drain their batteries when being towed are those that have the ignition left on in the accessory position, causing other components to run and drain the battery - hence many mfr's directions to lull a fuse or disconnect the battery. But just a braking device by itself shouldn't drain a healthy battery over one day's driving.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2015, 05:31 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebarge View Post
I plan on using the MOPAR harness on 2015 JK and using an existing Brake Buddy for tow brake. My previous application had a charge wire from the MH to the toad battery and powered the brake buddy from an additional unswitched (always-hot) 12v outlet. I understand the MOPAR harness needs 12v to properly operate the JK lights. Has anyone resolved the issue of power to the braking system without draining the JK battery? Does the 12v in the tow harness power any switched 12v outlets? Does it charge the battery?
I just added the Mopar harness this weekend. I have a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited. The directions do not show a wiring harness in the way. It was tough for me to figure out where the hole was supposed to be make, the + sign in the photo below is where I think they wanted it. I didn't want to put it under the bracket because I didn't want the wire bent over that much. This is what I did.

Have fun, I used a 1 3/8" hole saw. It is a pain in the butt but not to bad.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:21 PM   #59

Entegra Owners Club
Simply call your States Atorney General's office

Better yet, write them and copy Chrysler and your states Consumer Affairs Department.

Regards,

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
Here is something new, I installed the harness 2 weeks ago, was not difficult at all thanks to the step by step, and I have installed the baseplate. Yesterday the XM and the Nav System stopped working, the XM states "Check Antenna", and the Nav is stuck at "Acquiring Satellites". The AM/FM still works, as does the iPod connection.
Took it to the Jeep Dealer since it is under warranty, and just received a call that they now want me to authorize a $130 diagnostic fee because the baseplate installation is a modification and can void the warranty, and while Mopar sells a cable for towing, once you hook it up to a motorhome will also void the warranty as it is not factory installed. Mine has not been hooked up yet, still need to do the brake wiring.
I am now waiting for Chrysler Customer Service to call me back, but they are saying the same thing the dealer is, but are escalating since I asked them why they sell a harness and market it as a way to hook up your Jeep, if they will not stand behind it. I may try another Dealer as the local one has bad reviews on Yelp and Google.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:08 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
I just added the Mopar harness this weekend. I have a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited. The directions do not show a wiring harness in the way. It was tough for me to figure out where the hole was supposed to be make, the + sign in the photo below is where I think they wanted it. I didn't want to put it under the bracket because I didn't want the wire bent over that much. This is what I did.

Have fun, I used a 1 3/8" hole saw. It is a pain in the butt but not to bad.

i just installed this harness today and works perfect!
however i didn't do any drilling but did extend the the 5 wire part of barnes to go under carpet and over to driver side and through existing hole in firewall. super painless install. and very happy
Old 07-12-2015, 12:30 PM   #61

FLSteve thanks for the step-by-step tutorial on Mopar tow harness. Does anyone have insight/advice on connecting this Mopar two harness with a braking system? Specifically, I've purchased the invisibrake system for my 2015 wrangler and confuses by the wiring of this to the tow harness and where/how to install diodes (if needed with the Mopar harness).
Old 07-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
two2dogs I do not believe you will need the diodes. The diodes are to prevent back feeding into the Jeep's wiring system. The Mopar tow harness takes care of that.
I have a Brake Buddy Stealth and it works a little different. Hopefully someone will chime in with the same system.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by two2dogs View Post
FLSteve thanks for the step-by-step tutorial on Mopar tow harness. Does anyone have insight/advice on connecting this Mopar two harness with a braking system? Specifically, I've purchased the invisibrake system for my 2015 wrangler and confuses by the wiring of this to the tow harness and where/how to install diodes (if needed with the Mopar harness).
I looked at the Invisibrake wiring diagram, and the diodes that they show by the taillights are not needed with the MOPAR Harness. If you look at the MOPAR Harness there is a set of relays built into it that take the place of the diodes.

EDIT: I would call RoadMaster and ask them which wires on the MOPAR harness need to be cut for the Invisibrake to work. I am not sure what the pinouts are for the MOPAR Harness, but it can't be that difficult to figure out.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:11 PM   #64

UsualSuspect thanks for your response and suggestion. I called Roadmaster and hit a dead end. He knew nothing of the Mopar harness or the schematic or whether or not any diodes are needed.

Anybody running the Mopar Harness WITH the RoadMaster Invisibrake system??
Old 07-13-2015, 07:47 PM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
I called someone I know that does installs and asked him, he said he has done a couple, so he gave me these directions on how to do it.
He said the Mopar harness is electrically isolated after it enters the interior of the Jeep, where it connects to the factory harness. The diodes on the diagram do the same thing, they are not needed so you can toss them into the "I may need these some day bin". The diagram from Roadmaster assumes you are using the stock taillights and are running the Roadmster wiring harness to the brake lights, which he said we are not doing, Mopar did all that for us, we just need to find the right place to tap into the Mopar harness and connect the Invisibrake wiring.
He said to connect the Jeep up to the Coach, make sure you have a test light or multi-meter. Locate and mark the left and right turn signals, taillights, and ground wires in the Mopar harness, take note of the wiring colors.
Once you know what the wire colors are for the Mopar harness functions, find a place before the harness enters the firewall under the hood of the Jeep, do not cut the wiring after it enters the Jeeps firewall.
Make a cut in the webbing that covers the harness so you can get to the Mopar wires for splicing. Once the webbing is cut, route the wiring from the Invisibrake to where you cut the Mopar harness webbing. He said he solders the wires and uses heat shrink wrapping, but said you can use crimp connectors, just make sure you wrap the connections as good as you can to keep the water out, so it does not corrode later.
Next locate the wires on the Mopar harness for the left, right tailights, and ground and splice in the corresponding Invisibrake wiring. Finish wiring up the Invisibrake and test. He said he has done a few this way, and has not had one return to date.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #66
One of the Hoots

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by two2dogs View Post
two2dogs ... glad it helped. The forum has sure helped me in the past and I just wanted to pass it on. BTW I have had "zero" issues with the harness after about 15,000 miles of towing with it.

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:55 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
thanks for all the valuable information. I am curios before I order my harness. Dose this light up the parking lights on the side of the jeep?
Old 11-14-2015, 09:22 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
DWMeatloaf, it does not light the lights on the front fenders.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:26 PM   #69

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMeatloaf View Post
thanks for all the valuable information. I am curios before I order my harness. Dose this light up the parking lights on the side of the jeep?
No, it only activates the rear brake/tail lights. Also, here's another thread on the Mopar installation where I found an easier way to get to the plug up behind the dashboard.

2012 Jeep Mopar Harness Installation Update
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
thanks again all

Tags
wiring