Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #1

Most Affordable & Reliable Toad Vehicle

I'm in search for a toad other than a Jeep, which are a little pricey. I'm looking for an affordable and reliable toad. Any suggestions?

I'm in the process of purchasing a DP, 400 ISL, with tag axle. My car is not towable and I feel it's to low to the ground anyways.
RVGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My wife hates my Jeep. Says its too tall and noisy when we drive it so we tow her Traverse. Earlier models can be had pretty cheap. They are reliable and easy to tow.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:47 PM   #3

We have a Ford Edge, but only because we already had it when we bought our MH. I do often see them as toads. They also get brought up quite often over in the Toad/towing section. Ours was very reliable as a daily driver.
GeorgeandTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:13 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
This may sound crazy but we bought a 17' Ford Fiesta Titanium with 20k miles for 13 grand a few months ago. It is perfect for us, we don't plan to do any off roading, rather, just want the toad to get us to the local areas where we travel. Getting ready to put a hitch on it so we can take our ebikes to areas we want to ride and explore.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:40 PM   #5

I leased a 2018 JL. Checked with Chrysler Capital and no issues with mounting a baseplate, just remove and return to normal at turn in (unless you’re going to buy it after). You’ll find great feedback on towing Jeeps. Simple and relatively low weight. I think Jeeps provide phenomenal versatility, but that’s just me...
Old 04-14-2019, 10:16 PM   #6

Pre 14 CRV. Only 3500 lbs so not much load on your rv.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:24 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
X2 on a 2014 or older CRV. High reliability factor, way cheaper to fix minor stuff than our 06 Liberty was, much lighter than that Liberty & once you either put in a charge line or replace the crap OEM battery with a bigger one, there's no towing issues at all.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:49 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You will have to go back a few years, but for general utility:
Chevy Tracker
Jeep XJ
Suzuki Grand Vitara
I would shop for them outside the rust belt.

All are light and fairly comfortable, but you won't have the latest gizmos to drive the car for you - lane keeping, etc. But you will be able to pick one up for $5,000 or less.
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:31 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
CR-V is very reliable, comfortable enough for an everyday ride, seats four just fine, relatively inexpensive and easy to find low mileage '13 - '14 AWD model, light enough you won't even know its behind your ISL, high enough you can take it on a dirt/gravel road, 25mpg.
Stay away from Ford Fiesta and Focus. I had one with nothing but trouble from the electric shift transmission.
c_oneil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:32 AM   #10

Fiat 500 easy to pull 4 down
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:09 AM   #11
doc

Appalachian Campers
We towed a 2003 Honda Element for several years. Fold the rear seats up to the side and it is like a bowling alley. Getting ready to tow by running it for about 5 minutes and through all the forward gears (if you hit reverse you have to start over) put it in neutral, switch in the first position, brake off and you're ready.
If I could buy a new one, I would buy it this afternoon. Loved that thing
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:10 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
We have been towing a 2013 Chevy Equinox for 5 years across 4 different motor homes. we have had absolutely zero problems with the car.
I wanted something that was an automatic, and would be comfortable enough to drive cross-country and survive the trip!
Only regret was I should have bought one with the V6!
If you look for one, the 2015 and older still had electric/hydraulic steering vs. the later models with all-electric power steering, which can, and has, given many people problems with the hated "death wobble".....
2014 Jeep GC diesel - 2024 Renegade Verona 36VSB
mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #13

As mentioned the Honda CRV 2014 and younger, is a well known and reliable Toad. AWD will give you a bit more capability in different weather conditions. And with our 07 we put on a bit higher profile tires and raised it another 1" (The most we could do without changing wheels and having a hard ride, this has had no change to our comfort on the highways.), which has allowed the AWD to get us into some rather interesting places. Jeep - Nope! But, sure more capable then a front wheel only vehicle. And, with the All Weather Tires and AWD, we've gone into many National Parks with snow covered roadways without having to put on chains.

We'll either change to a 2014 CRV, or possibly an F150 with 4X4 (For more carrying space in a shell covered bed.), in the near future.

All that being said, if a bit more space and creature comforts are something you'd prefer, and better then the CRV as far as taking you off into dirt roads to explore - the Jeep Grand Cherokee is a well thought of Toad too.

The Grand Cherokee and the F150 are relatively close in weight, unless you get a Hemi option, then the GC is heavier (From memory.).

We have a 40' with Tag with the ISL370(400 now), and I'd have zero reservations about any of the above as a Toad.

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Pre 14 CRV. Only 3500 lbs so not much load on your rv.
Technically PRE 2015. (2014 and older)
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, toad