Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Motor Home towing

Which is better/safer - tow dolly or a tow bar. The tow bar is less expensive but the dolly appears safer.
Wayne-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
I have done both. I believe tow bar is safer as there are fewer wheels/tires to maintain, there is less weight, it is easier/safer to hookup and/or load unload (dollys and rain are a BAD combination), and the tow bar is MUCH more secure than the strap tie-downs over the car tires on a dolly. You need a braking system either way you go ...on the dolly, or auxilliary brakes for the car on a tow bar.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Paul,

I have seen and heard the probs with disconnecting the towbar and thought this might avoid it - tks for your insight, I am just getting started -- will be full time rv'er soon and wanted to do this part right.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #4

I agree with the AF Chap(how could you not agree with a preacher) I have towed 4 down with a tow bar for over 12 years and never had a problem. Keep it lubed. As for as I'm concerned it is safer, more confenient, easier and you don't have to worry about storing the dolly when parked.

Good luck with your choice.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:42 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
One advantage of a dolly over a towbar I found was that I was not restricted to towing just the one specific car. On occasion we towed my wife's car, instead of our regular car. Also one time I towed a small pickup. Any FWD or manual shift car can be towed on a dolly. With a towbar you can only tow the car that has the matching towbracket fitted to it. Also, my (Delco KarKaddy K66) dolly had a surge brake. Very simple to use and low maintenance, rather than the more complex (and expensive) brakes associated with a towbar. However, we do now tow with a towbar. The dolly is an extra little vehicle to store and maintain that I did not want to fool with any longer. But as a towing method a dolly does just fine.

Meurig Davies '07 Meridian 36G
Meurigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #6

When we first got our MH, we got a tow dolly, and went to Fla for the winter, when I got home I couldn't get rid of the damn thing quick enough, and got tow bars, MUCH BETTER AND QUICKER.
Al, Michigan.
Al, Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
tks all, you have helped me make my decision, tow bar it is !!
Old 11-14-2010, 08:19 AM   #8

I prefer the tow bar. With the dolly, there is something else to main. Then there's the issue of where to put it when camped.
Besides, I tow a Jeep with Qudra-Drive. It can't be towed with a dolly without damaging the transfer case.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
i am thinking a top of the line blue ox with a air force one brake controller by smi to tow a ford standard shift ranger.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally I think the tow bar, with a proper aux-brake system, is safer and here is why

When you are towing, if ALL WHEELS have working brakes, then the formula for skid distance on clean dry pavement has one, and only one variable.. SPEEED (Which is squared) For any given segment of road the size of the vehicle, weight, number of tires and such do not enter.. Only SPEED and one other factor.. (Coefficient of friction) which is the same for all vehicles on that hunk of road. Even the condition of the tires matters not less they blow.

BUT.. If you have any wheels NOT braking.. Then the math gets much, much more complex and the vehicle skids farther

With a 4-down system (Tow bar) and proper aux brakes (US Gear, M&G, Ready Brake, Air Force 1) you have all wheel braking

With a dolly.. Two wheels on teh car are NOT braking .... but that weight (mass) is still pushing you down the road and into the rear of whatever you are trying NOT to hit.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The point about being able to tow more than one car using a dolly probably wouldn't apply to a fulltimer.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #12

I bought the ReadyBrake system with the surge brake and it works great once I got it adjusted. I pull a chevy cobalt and don't even know its back there. slo-mo
ronswank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:30 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I had another person tell me that even with a stick shift sometimes you must disconnect the drive shaft, anyone know if this is true -- I have a 2004 ford ranger standard shift 2 wheel drive.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne-H View Post
I had another person tell me that even with a stick shift sometimes you must disconnect the drive shaft, anyone know if this is true -- I have a 2004 ford ranger standard shift 2 wheel drive.
The dingy guide at www.motorhomemagazine.com says you are ok to tow 4 down with the 2wd manual. It's recommended to tow at 55MPH.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote