Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
PDB

I hope this is the right forum, but I am looking for a power motorcycle carrier/lift to install on my 40' diesel pusher. I need a lift system that will drop down to ground level, allow me to roll on the bike, fasten the tie-downs, then push a button to raise the bike up 30" or 40", leaving room for my normal toad connection.
The bike weighs about 650 lbs, my toad is a Jeep GC.
Any ideas/recommendations?
Thanks.
Paul

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2006, 02:00 PM   #2
PDB

I hope this is the right forum, but I am looking for a power motorcycle carrier/lift to install on my 40' diesel pusher. I need a lift system that will drop down to ground level, allow me to roll on the bike, fasten the tie-downs, then push a button to raise the bike up 30" or 40", leaving room for my normal toad connection.
The bike weighs about 650 lbs, my toad is a Jeep GC.
Any ideas/recommendations?
Thanks.
Paul

Old 06-12-2006, 02:41 PM   #3

I have the Overbilt, Inc. motorcycle lift. Overbilt, Inc. is about 25 miles from where I reside in N.Y.. Anyway, I am very pleased with the lift. Mine is manually operated but you can get electric as an option. Lift itself weighs 250#. My FatBoy weighs 700#. A terrific lift.

Other lifts I know of:
Cruiser Lift
Hydralift

My set-up...

BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:49 PM   #4

PCB:
Your a lucky man. When we bought our coach it had a bike lift by Overbuilt.No bike for me, said wife. So I modified it to carry a 600 lb. 4 wheel electric atv. I'm able to lower the rack with the toad (Jeep) connected. Try this site.
http://www.overbiltlifts.com/

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:26 AM   #5

Check with Blue Ox they bought Overbilt and have several motorcycle lifts and carriers.
IrishBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:38 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BillArf:
I have the Overbilt, Inc. motorcycle lift. Overbilt, Inc. is about 25 miles from where I reside in N.Y.. Anyway, I am very pleased with the lift. Mine is manually operated but you can get electric as an option. Lift itself weighs 250#. My FatBoy weighs 700#. A terrific lift. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I look at the picture and am amazed that you were able upgrade the 500/5000 lb hitch of the 2002 Southwind 32V (I have the same year 35R) to a 1000/10000 lb hitch. In addition you tow a 4000 lb Wrangler on, what looks like a, 24" hitch extension (the lift). Doesn't the hitch extension de-rate the hitch (rhetorical question)? Somebody spent some time welding more steel under the back end of your RV.

Looks nice. Who did the hitch upgrade work? Another user only has a 5000 lb hitch on their diesel pusher and are looking at how to upgrade it.

Also how does the weight distribution work out? Is the 32V on the W20 or W22 chassis?
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:08 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I looked at a lift by "Hydralift". It is a hydrolic lift, and attaches to the frame, not the hitch receiver. It is probably more costly than the Overbuilt, but will handle a 1000# bike without modifications. I will be buying the Hydralift when I start to FT in 2 years. The hydrolic function is really nice, and it lifts higher than most. It also comes with an integrated 10K rated tow hitch. Good system, and they just came out with a integrated cover for the bike, but it is a little pricey.
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:14 AM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
Here is another: http://www.rvlifts.com/

or http://www.cruiserlift.com/
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:37 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IrishBear:
Check with Blue Ox they bought Overbilt and have several motorcycle lifts and carriers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is NOT true. Overbilt, Inc. was not bought by Blue OX !
Old 06-15-2006, 01:46 PM   #10

Alvin, The Overbilt, Inc. lift was installed at Overbilt, Inc. in Lake Katrine, NY which is about 25 mi. from where I reside. The owner of Overbilt, Inc. a fellow named Art and his son did extensive welding to include addition of structural steel under the rig. The original hitch assembly was completely removed. The work took hours. The workmanship/welds, etc. are impeccable. I've hauled my FatBoy over 6,000 miles on that lift. I have weighed the rig and use caution in how I load for a trip. Without thought I could easily overload the rear axel and leave to little a load on the front axel. The rig is terrific. Don't even feel the bike or toad back there but I monitor both closely with the rear camera. On, Ford Chassis with V10. Wrangler is a tad over 3,000 lbs. I'm not using a hitch extension. I watch tire inflation closely.

--------------------------------------------
Formula:

Measure the distance from the center of rear axle to the center of the weight (Lift). Divide that number by the RV's wheelbase. Multiply the result by 100 to get percent. That percent of the load is added to the load and becomes the total load added to the rear axel. That percent of the load is subtracted from the front axle weight and unloads the front axel by that amount.
----------------------------------------
Old 06-16-2006, 08:22 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BillArf:
Alvin, The Overbilt, Inc. lift was installed at Overbilt, Inc. in Lake Katrine, NY which is about 25 mi. from where I reside. The owner of Overbilt, Inc. a fellow named Art and his son did extensive welding to include addition of structural steel under the rig. The original hitch assembly was completely removed. The work took hours. The workmanship/welds, etc. are impeccable. I've hauled my FatBoy over 6,000 miles on that lift. I have weighed the rig and use caution in how I load for a trip. Without thought I could easily overload the rear axel and leave to little a load on the front axel. The rig is terrific. Don't even feel the bike or toad back there but I monitor both closely with the rear camera. On, Ford Chassis with V10. Wrangler is a tad over 3,000 lbs. I'm not using a hitch extension. I watch tire inflation closely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Can you share the approximate cost of the modifictions to remove the OEM hitch and add the Overbilt unit? This would give people an idea of what it would cost to upgrade a 5,000 hitch to a 10,000 hitch.

Thanks for the response. I must admit, lots of warning bells went off when I saw the picture. Nice setup. Again thanks.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:54 AM   #12

The lift was $2900.00 installed.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:57 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The lift was $2900.00 installed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:57 AM   #14
PDB

FYI, I bought the CruiserLift whch cost about $3500 installed. We'll see how it works out.
Paul