Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:28 AM   #1

motorcycle lifts

I am interested in hearing from others that have lifts placed on the back of their pusher. Type, easy of installation, and how they perform. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
Fro

Monaco Owners Club
I mosey over to Sturgis nearly every year and chat up the vendors about lifts and ways to transport my ultra. The advice I got from all the lift vendors was they wouldn't advise install on a single axel coach, tags only. Canter leaving a 900 lbs bike along with several hundred lbs of lift, reduces steerability and can bend your frame... or so I was told. Might be different for a dirt bike, but in any case, that is a LOT of steel hanging off the back. In my case, after researching all the lifts and options, I finally decided (since I want both my bike and toad) to install a load all ramp in the pickup, blue ox tow system, and air force one braking system. I just returned from a 4300 mile trip from Mn to Ca and back,.. worked great! MPG dropped about 1 mpg though, but I think it is worth it.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #3

Motorcycle Lift

Here is another thread on lifts.
GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:27 AM   #4

I believe they only belong on a tag axle coach also. That said, there are many who will tell you they are fine on a single axle. We chose to haul ours in the pickup bed and were very happy.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:42 PM   #5

Canter leaving a 900 lbs bike along with several hundred lbs of lift, reduces steerability and can bend your frame... or so I was told.

Hogwash! I did just what the OP is considering. I did it on our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. We looked for and found, a great deal on a used Hydralift on ebay. We got it for $1,800 and we picked it up. It was in flawless condition. Being a fabricator/welder for decades, I did the install on the back of our coach. While it was a bit of a challenge, it was also fun.

I could write pages here on how well it worked. But, many choose to believe what they want, without ever experiencing the real world. I will say, with all honesty, that our 36' single rear axled coach, handled flawlessly, with that lift and, an '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing (right at 900 lbs.) on the back. I weighed that coach, front, back and total, before the install of the lift and the bike. I was already close to the max of the rear GAWR. But, I knew all the consequences of the install.

As for steering issues, with the added weight on the rear, again, hogwash. I did some specific measurements for ground to body and ground to axle on that coach, again, prior to adding the lift and bike. Once the lift and bike were installed, I placed the coach in the EXACT same spot (accounting for imperfections on/in road surfaces and quality of cement finishing practices).

My front end, came up, a whopping 1/16th of an inch. Wow. The back, stayed at the same EXACT height, with them installed. The ride height leveling system took care of all the added weights. With that bike on the rear, and an '03 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon in tow, we cruised straight and perfect, right down the road. No wandering, no porpoising, no pulling, no bouncing, NOTHING.

And, since I did the install, I would very carefully and closely, inspect that total rear section of the frame, where the lift attached to, for any, ANY potential metal fatigue or bending. It stayed straight as an arrow for well over 8,000 miles of transport. And we ventured on some of the worst roads in America.

Was I overweight on that rear axle, yep, I sure was. Did anyone die, nope. Did the coach suffer ANY consequences? Nope, not at all. Since I did mine, I've seen multiple SINGLE AXLE rear coaches, even some GAS ones, with the same exact setup on them.

In a situation like this, every individual owner must take all things into account to make this decision. It was/is my coach and my decision. It worked, PERIOD! If the OP would like any info regarding install, steel/metal involved, installation technique, and more, PM me and I'd be glad to help. By the way, I set my Hydralift up so that it was completely removable, in right at 6 minutes. That way, I could service the rear of the coach without having that unit in the way. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than a permanent install.

Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #6

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for all the info Scott. I do have a tag axel so weight should not be an issue. Would love to see some pictures of the mounting. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:49 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We haul two Softails. Would never fit on the back so we pull an enclosed trailer. Keeps them out of the weather, dirt and stones, and out of sight of people that would like to grab them. We prefer the Harleys over a car but sometimes we drag the car although those are not usually the fun trips.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:58 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How long an extender due you use to space the jeep from the Hydralift? Do you worry about tight corners and the jeep getting damaged? I have a HL and jeep but have towed with jeep and Harley at same time, only with empty lift in vertical stowed position.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnordstrom View Post
Thanks for all the info Scott. I do have a tag axel so weight should not be an issue. Would love to see some pictures of the mounting. Thanks.
J,
You will definitely be in better shape with a tag, for sure. As for the mounting system I used, I'd be more than happy to share pics with you. Not many on here would be interested, I think, in seeing them so, If you shoot me your email in a PM, I'd be glad to send what I have and, any explanations that might aid in making things clear.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
We haul two Softails. Would never fit on the back so we pull an enclosed trailer. Keeps them out of the weather, dirt and stones, and out of sight of people that would like to grab them. We prefer the Harleys over a car but sometimes we drag the car although those are not usually the fun trips.
Old Radios,
Yep, without a doubt, an enclosed trailer is the PRIME way to go. We did that too when I first retired. WE had a 7' x 16' V-nosed trailer that hauled our Wing and, other stuff. It really was nice to pull into a camp at the end of the day and, off load the REALLY CLEAN bike out of that trailer for a ride to dinner or, wherever. But, as time went on, we wanted our Jeep along on trips too so, we did the Hydralift thing.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimacon View Post
How long an extender due you use to space the jeep from the Hydralift? Do you worry about tight corners and the jeep getting damaged? I have a HL and jeep but have towed with jeep and Harley at same time, only with empty lift in vertical stowed position.
trimacon,
Well, it's a long story but, I'll make it really short. Yes, I did worry about the clearance between the Jeep front end, especially the hood. In fact, when the Hydralift was first installed, I wanted a nice cover for the bike while it was in transport. So, I contacted H/L and, they informed me of their "No-touch cover". So, I ordered one up and, installed it. Well, it didn't work out. That cover would etch against the Wing in multiple places so, long story short, I sent it back, without the floor, that came with it. I kept that floor. But, keeping that floor meant decreased clearance between the Jeep and the floor of the lift.

So, I needed a riser to keep my tow bar flat anyways, so, I fabricated a riser that was also an extension. It was about a 1' extension. But, I was also, at the time, going to use the Ready Brake system. That incorporates an actuator that also acts as an extension. It's about 16" long so, between the two, I had plenty of clearance for the hood-to-floor when it was all done.

What you really need to pay attention to is,TURNING AND A DIP, AT THE SAME TIME!! When hooked up, and the lift is down, or, the bike is on the lift, and you're making a turn and, entering say, a driveway or, fueling station, you'll get dual problems, at one time as the rear of the coach, dips due to the culvert or, driveway entrance and, you're turning at the same time. That's when it becomes really close. A straight on dip is not a big deal. Or, a turn is not too bad either but, doing both together, that's different.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote