Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I'd call it a good move on Winnebago's part. Why not warn people about the problems associated with too much drop that allows the hitch to fold under the rig?
For exactly the reason HikerDogs stated...

Quote:
I would think this could be a real problem for Winnebago. If their recommendations are followed to the letter it would essentially put them out of the towing arena. The Jeep Wrangler has about the highest ground clearance of any stock vehicle on the market.
In addition to that, why do you think a towbar that is several inches out of level wouldn't be much more dangerous as far as "folding under the rig?" In an emergency stop situation, I'd much rather put my money on the drop hitch than a tilted towbar.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #16

I put the brackets on the Jeep baseplates yesterday and did another measurement. The brackets raise the attachment point by 1".

I also had an extended conversation with the people at the Customer Relations Department at Winnebago. They were willing to concede that using a 6" drop receiver would be feasable as long as the Jeep was equiped with a non-surge style braking system. We use a Roadmaster 9060 system.

I'll measure the height of the motorhome hitch receiver again today on a known level surface. When doing the previous measurement the rear axle was on a level part of the drive while the front axle was on a slope. I'm hoping the down hill position of the front wheels was causing a slight rise in the position of the receiver. If I gain another inch I'll be at the 3" difference recommended by Roadmaster.

Even if there's little or no difference in the motorhome receiver height the added height of the Jeep connection and a 6" drop receiver will bring the difference down to 4".
Old 05-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I'll measure the height of the motorhome hitch receiver again today on a known level surface. When doing the previous measurement the rear axle was on a level part of the drive while the front axle was on a slope. I'm hoping the down hill position of the front wheels was causing a slight rise in the position of the receiver. If I gain another inch I'll be at the 3" difference recommended by Roadmaster.
That's a good idea. Also, I would make sure the moho is sitting on the tires and not on the levelers for the measurement. Let us know what you find!
Old 05-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #18

I just measured the height of the receiver for the second time and much to my disappointment there's no change on a known level surface. It's still at the 27" mark so for now I'll give it a try with a 4" difference between the Jeep and the motorhome. If all works well I'll leave it alone. If there are some problems I'll have to decide between lifting the Jeep and putting on an aftermarket bumper with higher attachment points.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #19

Just food for thought... Buy a smittybuilt bumper with the D-ring attachment points & you can use a Blue Ox adaptor (BX88291) to hook up with.

As of now Smittybuilt is the only one listed for use of this adaptor. Now that being said, I've been building (or having them built) for years doing this hook up to the D-rings on aftermarket bumpers, works great and keeps a good approach angle for the jeep when offroad.

Jim Lewis
InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #20

I use a Curry Enterprise Skid/Baseplate.... it is 18" from the ground to the center of the pins, I have a 2013 Rubicon, it is on stock 32" wheels and suspension. The baseplate can use Blu OX, Roadmaster or demco attachments... just for your fyi. Im sure spacer pucks on the jeep will get you within range.

Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, toad