Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #1

Motorhome and Toad Height Difference

I know this is not a new subject, but here's another twist I just ran into when setting up our new Adventurer to tow our Jeep Wrangler.

As some of you may already know we recently purchased a 2013 Winnebago Adventurer 32H. I am in the process of setting it up to tow our 04 Jeep Wrangler. When I measured the height of the reciever on the motorhome it's approximately 27" off the ground. The height of the baseplates on the Jeep are 16" off the ground. That's approximately an 11" difference between the motorhome and the Jeep

There in lies the problem. The towbar manufacturer recommends the connection at the towed vehicle be no more than 3" lower than the height of the reciever on the motorhome. Winnebago on the other hand recommends no more than a 4" drop reciever be used. By using a 4" drop reciever there will still be a 7" height difference between the Jeep and the motorhome.

Has anyone heard of any kind of towbar attachment that could be used to raise the height of the connections at the Jeep, or any other way to resolve this problem other than disregarding the Winnebago recommendation and using a longer drop reciever?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I would use a longer drop .it is more important to have the bar level .That is just my opinion .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #3

You might also check for a different brand baseplate for your Jeep if not yet installed. Sometimes that makes a significant difference; it did on our Honda Pilot anyway.
danandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Does Winn state that 4" max drop down rec in their manual. I never heard of that. I use a 10" on my FW Bounder. It does scrape :( occasionally in driveways. I take it real slow and avoid steep ones ( driveways ) when I can.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
An aftermarket bumper for the Jeep and using the D-ring attachment points or tow bar brackets to connect the tow bar. This will raise the connect point and negate the need for a baseplate.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Does Winn state that 4" max drop down rec in their manual. I never heard of that. I use a 10" on my FW Bounder. It does scrape :( occasionally in driveways. I take it real slow and avoid steep ones ( driveways ) when I can.
Yes, it's in the owners manual. According to the Customer Relations department they started adding it about 4 years ago. They had a series of instances where people were towing over weight vehicles and heavy trailers with surge brakes. In panic situations the drop reciever, and in some cases the hitch itself folded under the motorhome.

This wasn't a problem with our 2001 Adventurer. The towbar was within 1" of level. The new motorhome is considerably taller due to the larger wheels and heavier suspension.

I was hoping someone had come across a company that made something like the reciever adaptors that could be use on the Jeep to raise the connection at that end.

I would think this could be a real problem for Winnebago. If their recommendations are followed to the letter it would essentially put them out of the towing arena. The Jeep Wrangler has about the highest ground clearance of any stock vehicle on the market.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
An aftermarket bumper for the Jeep and using the D-ring attachment points or tow bar brackets to connect the tow bar. This will raise the connect point and negate the need for a baseplate.
Another Jeep modification that would help is if your are considering to lift the Jeep. A 2" spacer spring lift is inexpensive and easy to do - also can then mount 31" tires on the stock wheels. You have increased the off road capabilities, improved the look/stance (IMHO) over a stock Jeep, and raised it about 3".
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I'm with Clifftall, I use a 10" drop receiver to tow my Envoy.
tomk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk52 View Post
Here's aquote from page 12-3 of the owners manual:

"When coupling the vehicle tow bar to the
Factory Receiver Hitch using a “drop receiver”
or a conventional “ball mount” (commonly
referred to as a “stinger” or a “draw bar”), do not
exceed a 4” drop, or one that the centerline of
the hitch pin to the centerline of the ball exceeds
8”. See the following Hitch Assembly
illustration."

The last part of the quote is referring to the centerline of the ball extending no more than 8" to the rear of the centerline of the pin that secures it to the hitch.

There is an illustration on page 12-4 explaining the narritive. Here's a link to the online manual:
2013 Operator Manuals

Old 05-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk52 View Post
Does your Itasca manual state the same as Hikerdog's Winnie manual?

I have to agree that this is not a good move on Winnebago's part. We also use an 8" drop receiver on our Bounder for the Jeep. It is a pain on steep driveways, however.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I have to agree that this is not a good move on Winnebago's part.
I'd call it a good move on Winnebago's part. Why not warn people about the problems associated with too much drop that allows the hitch to fold under the rig?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I kind of feel like the odd duck out I use a 2" drop.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Have you considered an aftermarket steel bumper for the Jeep - to which you could have "tabs" welded that would be compatible with your tow bar? That will significantly raise the connection point.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Towed a RAV4 behind a '04 Southwind using an 8' inch RoadMaster drop hitch for 110,000 miles. Bent two of them! The second one bent and several welds on the receiver cracked while traveling in Alaska. Welding shop in Calgary rebuilt the hitch on the coach so everything was level with NO drop.
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - Read my blog at https://goldberg-online.net/
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, toad