Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2014, 01:32 AM   #1

Motorhome charging toad battery

I just installed base plate, transmission oil pump and finishing final touches on wiring for Even Bake system, I want to install a feed wire to charge the battery on the toad. I don't want to run toad engine at end of day just to make sure battery will be good for the next.
My question is what gauge of wire to use and amps for fuse. I know I should put a fuse starting at MH batteries but do I also install one before the toad battery ??
Thanks for the info
High Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2014, 03:37 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Definitely install a fuse on both ends of the charge line. The toad battery can cause a serious short issue as well as the charging vehicle
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:45 AM   #3

Remember the alt in rv is going to try to give whatever the car battery can take. I would run a 10gage wire with a 30 amp fuse. That should handle most loads unless the battery is like 1/2 used.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:00 AM   #4

Use #10 wire with 30 amp fuses (or circuit breakers) at both batteries or #12 wire with 20 amp fuses (or circuit breakers) at both batteries. I used #12 wire with breakers and that works fine for my requirements.
jrd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #5

Thanks very much. Will go with the 10 wire and 30 amps breaker.
High Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Consider this: RVibrake Towed Battery Charger, charge line replacement

Tags
battery, charging, motorhome, toad