Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-03-2006, 07:59 PM   #15

I don't think the Honda dealers have very good communication with the corporate offices in terms of warranties. We went to our local dealer earlier this week and were told by the salesman that any Honda is towable. Having read this forum I was suspicious and asked to see the owners manual. I was considering the Civic or Accord. The only thing in the manual for both these cars concerned towing in an emergency and said the car could only be towed at 35 mph for 50 miles. The salesman was convinced that they were towable (which I believe they probably are) and that towing would not affect the warranty (which I do not believe) He finally called in the manager who was not sure and then called the headquarters. They were emphatic that the only 2006 Honda vehicles that are towable are the Element and the CRV. He then apologized for the incorrect info given out by his salesman. So we decided on a CRV but wanted to check with other dealers before committing to the local dealer

I called various dealers in Columbus OH to check out prices and also to ask about what is towable. Guess what - I got three different answers. One did tell me that the Accord had just been approved. So we decided to call Honda ourselves at the 800 number on their website. We were told in no uncertain terms that they would only support the Element and the CRV for towing. So very confusing and I feel sorry for people who rely on salesmen without verifying it any further in the event they have problems down the road. So we decided on the CRV and got a bare bones 2 wheel drive vehicle which we will pick up tomorrow. It is roomy inside and I think we will be very happy

Pam

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2006, 10:02 AM   #16

My Honda Prelude (1987) manual also says 35mph, 50miles limit, BUT, the first step in the manual says to ensure "the wheels & tires are NOT in contact with any part of the body or frame..." This implies to me that the speed & distance limit is for a wrecked/crashed car that is being towed 4 down to a repair facility?

Cabi~

Old 03-22-2006, 10:18 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I towed a 2002 Honda Accord lx, 3150 LBS curb weight for three years--no problems. Had 24,000 on the odometer and an additional 26,000 towed.

I just traded for a 2006 Honda CRV all wheel drive. Both vehicles have the instructions in the owners manual for towing.

I made a habit of starting the engine and running the Honda thru the gears after about 350 to 400 miles, when we stopped at a rest area , etc.

You just need your towing kit. Run the shift thru gears, leave in neutral, turn engine off, but do not lock the ignition/steering wheel.

Hundreds being towed all over the country.
Talk to the Honda managers, the sales reps. do not know what is going on.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:09 AM   #18
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I, also, have towed hondas for years(10). A 1992 Accord (25000 miles); a 1998 Civic (6000miles); and a 2003 Accord(10000 miles). I have never had a problem with the transmission. I make sure I start the engine every 2-300 miles and cycle the tranny thru the gears, ensuring I go to nuetral from drive. I also start the engine and cycle prior to starting out in the morning.
Discussions with other Honda owners confirms that the procedures for keeping the fluid in the tranny will keep you out of trouble when towing.
Honda won't warrenty thier towed transmissions because they can't control how the owners are treating them.

Dale
04 LaPalma
03 Accord

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:47 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Honda Accords and Civics automatics were never listed as towable in either FMCA or Motorhome's annual towing guides.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:05 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
Honda Accords and Civics automatics were never listed as towable in either FMCA or Motorhome's annual towing guides. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe FMCA did not want to recognize that a foreign manufactured auto could be towed----or maybe Honda did not offer to pay them to list them.
Honda is one of the few Automobiles that have the instructions printed in the owners manual for towing. A very simple procedure, No fuses to remove, No lube pumps to add, etc.--just leave it in Neutral.
Give a Call to Roadmaster, and ask them if Hondas can be towed. They make the tow plates.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:07 PM   #21

I just read a post on another forum that said the latest FMCA magazine had an article which said the 2006 Honda CR-V was no longer listed as towable.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:19 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I believe the 2006 CRV is still considered to be towable by Honda. The 2006 Pilot, Civic, Accord etc are definitely not.

That doesn't mean you can't do it, using the same instructions as for the 2005 models, but Honda will not honor the transmission warranty if they determine one of the 2006 "no towing" models has been towed.

Apparently salesmen are still telling people they are all towable, but it isn't so. I got a first hand report on another forum from a guy who bought a 2006 Pilot on the strength of the salesman's promise. Two weeks later he got his money refunded after Honda said "no way".
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:58 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The 2006 CRV handbook says it can be towed (ONLY) four wheels down.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:08 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

According to the issue of FMCA magazine I received the other day, Honda has now advised them that NO Honda vehicle is approved for towing, not even the CRV.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:07 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
According to the issue of FMCA magazine I received the other day, Honda has now advised them that NO Honda vehicle is approved for towing, not even the CRV. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I posted this in another area this A.M.

Picture of rogueii

Posted March 31, 2006 10:08 AM
I have a 2006 Honda CRV.--Just read the manual again--Page 77/78--Can be towed behind an RV--MUST be FLAT towed--4 Wheels down. Tow at safe speeds, not to exceed 65 mph. IN PRINT.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:52 AM   #26

To, All with ?? ,re; What's flat towable.

Just took delivery of new toad after a lenghthy search, a 2006 Pontiac G-6 with 3.5 engine, The 3.9 engine isn't towable.

When shopping and saw a particular vehicle the first thing I asked the salesperson was to read the owners manual for that particular car, after I read it re; Recreational Vehicle Towing, I asked to have a phto-copy of the towing section and I would pay any copying cost.

I did this with Ford, GM,Chrysler, etc.

If it is not covered in Owner's Manual, DON"T buy it to flat tow, unless you want to get involved with aftermarket, Remco, etc.,parts.

There are a lot of vehicles made Flat- Towable, My suggestion, make it easy on yourself, save money and eliminate the possibility of another mechanical problem.

Hope this info helps, by the way, my tow setup cost me approx $750.00 for parts, not including towbar, and about $450.00 labor. I had several other things done at same time so it is difficult to give exact $$$.. Rear receiver,wiring for toad tows, wind- deflectos, mud-guards etc.

Another bit of info that may be of help to some and save time hooking up.

One of things to do with most GM cars before flat- towing is to remove a 30 amp. fuse from the fuse-panel under the hood The fuse box is under the battery cover box and the fuse is under the fuse box cover. A cumbersome, uneccesary procedure.

I had tech. run 2 14 guage wires from fuse box, with a 30 amp. in-line fuse, throyfh fire-wall and install a toggle switch on the side kick-plate out of way of accidental foot area. By the way, this 30 amp. fuse is for the Emgine Control Module 1 and when switch is off, it's a KILL switch.

Haven't towed yet, but hopefully, Murphy isn't around when I do.

Thanks Aime==== AJBJRVERS :
Old 04-01-2006, 04:42 AM   #27
Administrator Emeritus

Good advice about reading the owners manual before you buy Aime....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 02:40 PM   #28

Less than a year ago I purchased my Accord. I questioned the towability and was assured by dealer there was no problem. I called the Honda people and they told me to follow same procedure as I did with my 2003 Accord. No problem. Picking up new MH next week and thought my Accord may sit to low so started thinking of a CRV. After reading the above posts I thought that something is wrong here. I want to tow a Honda so why should I listen to what FMC has to write or gather info from other various sources, I went right to Honda this afternoon. I received the following written information.

Models 2005 - 2006
Issue date of TSB is Jan. 6, 2006
Letter number is I-1-06
Title is Flat Towing Behind a Motorhome
It states the following.......As you are aware, not all Honda models are approved for flat-towing behind a motorhome. Models are approved only ater going through extensive testing by our Research and Development group. The models shown below have currently been approved for flat towing.
2006 - CRV only.
2005 - Accord (except Hybrid)
Civic (except Hybrid)
CRV
Element
Pilot.
More followed but nothing of importance except the procedure of shifting and turning off engine was explained again.
This is a canadian TSB and I believe the american TSB is #08012005.
Hope this helps.