Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
mre

Motorhome Turning Radius with Toad

We are shopping for a Class A motorhome -- more than likely a gasser. We will probably buy the new Jeep Cherokee as a toad. Having towed pop-ups, travel trailers, and 5th wheels, I know there are limitations on turning radius. I also kwow from talking with gasser owners and from the forums, there are some some differing annd shaper turning cuts the Class A gasssers.

My question, can the various tow bar systems (such as Blue Ox, etc.) handle the maxium turning cut of these motorhomes without damage motorhome, toad or towing system, or are there limitations?

thanks
ed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #2

I have a 2013 Ford Gasser and blue Ox and i can crank mine all the way and the tow bar is not a limiting factor. Honestly the biggest consideration when towing a car behind my class A is the fact that you can't back up. You always have to have an exit strategy when turning in somewhere, anywhere.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:12 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think it would take a test, as there are so many variables. Years ago I towed 2 different (identical) fords. One towed just fine the other would crab the front wheel if I turned a little to sharp. The alignment shops said the caster was the same on both.

A lot of gassers have a long overhang, that can cause the toad to swing very fast and far, sometimes finding the rear bumper.

Hope your tows great, but I would make some low speed test with an observer.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
No experience with a toad but have towed a 20' trailer without issues on a 60 degree cut. I would not let turning radius limit your selection of MH or toad. Once you get what you want take the unit out and test until you find the limitations (if there are limitations).
Old 08-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
A trailer hooked to the back of a MH will follow the MH. A trailer will only cut the corner if in attached forward of the towing vehicles bumper, like the bed of the truck for a 5th wheel.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
A trailer hooked to the back of a MH will follow the MH. A trailer will only cut the corner if in attached forward of the towing vehicles bumper, like the bed of the truck for a 5th wheel.
????

i have to differ with your opinion

my long overhang plus the length of my hauler trailer, it will cut inside the tow vehicles rear tire path in a minute
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 037.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	72077  
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:02 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
"We will probably buy the new Jeep Cherokee as a toad"....
The instructions for setting up your towbar mention to check the clearances between the motorhome and the toad. Make a series of sharp turns ( Slow and cautiously) and insure the vehicles do not touch. If it's close, you can move the towbar out one hole in the hitch or get an extension to provide room. Once it is set up properly, full lock turns are safe. Your toad will normally track inside the track of the motorhome...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:18 PM   #8

You will also want to check your hitch rating and your potential toad weight. I had a 2013 Sightseer that has a Class III hitch that is rated to 5,000 lbs which a 2014 Grand Cherokee exceeded, so I ended up with a CRV.

John

2015 American Revolution 42G

John & Dorene with Lexie, Bailey, Brie (Bernese Mountain Dogs), Chloe (American Eskimo), and Ember (German Shepard Dog)
Old 08-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post

This is incorrect! The determining factor is the relative turning radius of the tow vehicle and the turning radius of the trailer(toad).

1997 Tiffen Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126
Old 08-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #10

I scuffed our grand Cherokee on a full turn. I did have the tow bar at the shortest setting. I was pulling with a vista 26p at the time, that short wheelbase has tight turns. It turns so sharp I was able to make a u turn on a four lane road with a suicide lane pulling my 21' boat, wife's face was priceless.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
The biggest issue with towing anything and a sharp turning radius is having the corner of the toad and the corner of the MH touch during a sharp turn.

The length of the hitch will determine if this is an issue or not.

Some of the new MH can turn quite sharply with 55 or 60 degree cuts. Holding that tight a turn for a long time should be very rare as most of the turns are 90. Rarely you will do a 180 and at that time you will have to be more observant.

Easiest way is to take your rig to a parking lot and see if it is an issue. Then be prepared to take the correct action when you encounter situations where the turn can be an issue.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:32 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Some members have reported the MH and toad made contact on the sharpest turns.

When I got my rig, I had a friend walk near the back of the rig as I drove in a circle in a parking lot.

He reported that there was plenty of clearance.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Some members have reported the MH and toad made contact on the sharpest turns.

When I got my rig, I had a friend walk near the back of the rig as I drove in a circle in a parking lot.

He reported that there was plenty of clearance.
Once you know you are clear - life is grand - and one less thing to think about while you are trying to get into or out of a parking space/dead end/etc.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
you can back up 10-20 feet easy, more than that you need to steer it, a rear camera helps, but another out back with a cell phone is better

jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, toad