Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #1

Mounting Battery Disconnect

I want to mount a battery disconnect on my 2012 Ford Focus toad. Any one have a pic of where you mounted yours?
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2015, 09:28 PM   #2
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekwiat View Post
I want to mount a battery disconnect on my 2012 Ford Focus toad. Any one have a pic of where you mounted yours?
I just used to pop the negative cable off the terminal on my 2012 Explorer. Bad experience with a battery disconnect years ago left me stranded by the side of the road. Popping the cable off takes just a few seconds and is foolproof method.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:26 AM   #3

I've always installed the battery disconnect on the negative ( - ) post of the battery. If you install it on the positive ( + ) side ....when you lift the blade out of the contact and fold it back.... its " hot " and can be a hazzard. I like to leave the positive (+) side cable under the red rubber boot for protection. Just my thought.
Belladog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:38 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladog View Post
I've always installed the battery disconnect on the negative post of the battery. If you install it on the positive side ....when you lift the blade out of the contact and fold it back its " hot " and can be a hazzard. I like to leave the + side cable under the red rubber boot for protection.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:51 AM   #5

If this helps any......its how I did it on my Honda Fit..........

Old 12-11-2015, 07:13 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I mounted a blade style like the previous poster's photo only I put it on the positive terminal. If you leave the ground connected to the battery you can run a charge wire to the hot side of the disconnect switch. The lever of the switch is on the cold side so there is no danger of grounding when it is the open position. I'll try to post a picture later today and give some better details.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:36 AM   #7

I use the round knob " screw down " type connected to the neg. side on my Jeep Wrangler. Very simple to install / use.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1309.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	113907 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1310.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	113908
This shows both the open and closed positions. The black plastic battery cover is off in the pictures but can still be put back on in either switch position. The red wire with a yellow crimp connector that is screwed onto the always hot side of the switch at the battery post clamp is a charge line from the coach battery and power for the aux brake. The big red battery cable is the factory cable clamped to the switched or sometimes cold side. You should be aware that these post clamp types of disconnects are designed to fit the negative battery post/clamp and not the positive. The postive post/clamp is a slightly larger diameter and you will need to do some modification to make them fit. I opened up the inside of the post clamp with some coarse emery cloth to fit the positive terminal post and I wrapped a copper shim around the post on the cold side of the switch to make it fit the factory positive battery cable clamp.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #9

c oneil....nice job.

I had a 2002 Wrangler I used as a toad ( years ago ) and wired in a 12V automatic disconnect solenoid with a dash mounted switch. It worked very well but it was costly.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry,
But if you disconnect the battery what are you using to power your toads break lights and turn signals, running lights?

Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #11

spritz.....good question.

If you look at the pic I posted ....you will see a YELLOW inline fuse holder that I wired into the positive ( + ) side of the solenoid that feeds a extra 12V plug on the dash where I use to plug my brake buddy in.

As far as the lights .....you use the power from the coach to power up the toad lights.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:09 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Sorry,
But if you disconnect the battery what are you using to power your toads break lights and turn signals, running lights?

Tim
I'd think if your tow car is plugged in to the trailer/towing light connector, the motorhome is powering the lights.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:28 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks I had a mental block.
Your correct I have the toads lights working along with the trailer and MH Duh. Thanks for not beaten me up to bad.....
Tim,
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:31 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_oneil View Post
Attachment 113907 Attachment 113908
This shows both the open and closed positions. The black plastic battery cover is off in the pictures but can still be put back on in either switch position. The red wire with a yellow crimp connector that is screwed onto the always hot side of the switch at the battery post clamp is a charge line from the coach battery and power for the aux brake. The big red battery cable is the factory cable clamped to the switched or sometimes cold side. You should be aware that these post clamp types of disconnects are designed to fit the negative battery post/clamp and not the positive. The postive post/clamp is a slightly larger diameter and you will need to do some modification to make them fit. I opened up the inside of the post clamp with some coarse emery cloth to fit the positive terminal post and I wrapped a copper shim around the post on the cold side of the switch to make it fit the factory positive battery cable clamp.
Where did you find the knife switch with the extra screw terminal?
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect