Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Mud Flaps

I am setting my class C up to flat tow a jk jeep. Have been looking at Ultraguard solid flap and also the Rock Solid which uses 2 sections of rubber strips. Any information about your experience with different styles of flaps would be appreciated.

2013 Four Winds 22E
txhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2013, 04:47 AM   #2
Make sure you mount any mud guard at the proper height. If the bottom is too low, it will drag as you drive over dips in the road and flip small rocks up onto your toad like Tiddlywinks. It could be worse than nothing at all.

2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:59 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis

I raised my mud flap to about 5~6" from the road and never had any toad damage.
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
I'm thinking of taking off my rock solid and cutting it up to fit as regular mud flaps.
Rock solid scrapes in dips, acts as a wind block, and gets into the way if I need the spare.
I think it will work as well.
If you don't want to get shot by the police, don't be a criminal!
Winnebago adventurer 37g, 96 tracker
Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
The rear overhang is so deep on our rig that we have never had a problem with our jeep after 20,000 miles of towing it.
Don (RVM19) & Mary,
Furry friends Sophia & Zander
2006 Coachmen Freedom 289QB | 2004 Jeep

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Looking at the wheel well of my rear tires, there is already a flat piece of rubberized plastic that forms a short mud flap. Would there be a problem to bolting a longer piece of plastic to make a good mud flap?
2013 Four Winds 22E
txhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
With a long overhang I don't think I would mount anything at the rear of the coach. I would simply just use wheelwell mounted flaps approx. 3"-4" off of the ground.

On a coach with a shorter overhang I like the rear mounted flaps but tucked up under the rig a little bit. This is critical to keep it around 5" or so off of the ground, otherwise as the rig porpoises slightly going down the road the flap will touch and create more flying rocks/debris than without anything at all.

This also may or may not completely prevent any rock chip issues. I have towed our last couple of Jeeps for 100k plus miles with barely any chips to the front of them. Both were either stock or only 2" lift with 31" tires. However, our current Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with 4" of lift and 35" tires got quite a few small chips and a broken driving light during last years flat-towing. This year we mainly hauled it in our enclosed trailer but for short quick trips the trailer is a bit of a nuisance so I just installed a Tow Defender by Roadmaster. So far I like it.

Here is a link to the thread I just did on it.
Roadmaster Tow Defender
Mike & Chrystal/ 2011 Jeep JKUR
Link to our 2003 Monaco Baroness Projects/Mods thread here:
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #8

Lots of posts about folks worrying about chips on their toads, and protect a tow and full width mud flaps (et al).

2012 Wrangler. 28K miles on the odometer, another 21K as a toad. 2 chips from off-road. From being a toad, none. Just standard mud flaps.

According to DuraFlap, "For the most part the rear mud flap simply adds a little bit more protection."

I have confidence that the standard flaps behind my dualies are doing a great job and that a full-width rear flap or anything else is not required on my rig.
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #9
If you combine mud flaps right behind the rear wheels that are as wide as the extent of the rear tires and about two to four inches off the ground with an UltraGuard the full width of your rig, you should see virtually no rock damage to the toad from your RV. Damage from other sources on the road can be mostly avoided by slowing down on unpaved sections of road.

jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote