Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-07-2005, 03:59 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Am setting up to tow toad and would like opinions on effectiveness of splash stop. I really don't want to go the bra route for the toad. What is the effectiveness of the "mud flap" to keep most rocks and gravel off the toad.

Seems though there are three types - Each of the ones discussed below, go all the way across the MH and go down "almost" to the ground.

The long hanging bristles, which have been around for more than 20 years.

The "truck wheel type" that are split every 8 or 9 inches, - these are made of the same material as standard semi truck anti-sail mud flaps.

And the third type is the real heavy single piece that goes all the way across.

Looking for opinions on their effectiveness and just how close to the ground they should go. Some people have them just 1 or 2 inches and some 4 or 5 inches.

Your input is appreciated. More to the toad than just hooking up and going. Camping World wired in a 4 pin cable to our Saturn Vue, and I told them MH had 6 pin. "Well, just get a 3:2 adapter." Just one more piece of electronics in the circuit that could go bad.

Thanks,

Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2005, 03:59 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Am setting up to tow toad and would like opinions on effectiveness of splash stop. I really don't want to go the bra route for the toad. What is the effectiveness of the "mud flap" to keep most rocks and gravel off the toad.

Seems though there are three types - Each of the ones discussed below, go all the way across the MH and go down "almost" to the ground.

The long hanging bristles, which have been around for more than 20 years.

The "truck wheel type" that are split every 8 or 9 inches, - these are made of the same material as standard semi truck anti-sail mud flaps.

And the third type is the real heavy single piece that goes all the way across.

Looking for opinions on their effectiveness and just how close to the ground they should go. Some people have them just 1 or 2 inches and some 4 or 5 inches.

Your input is appreciated. More to the toad than just hooking up and going. Camping World wired in a 4 pin cable to our Saturn Vue, and I told them MH had 6 pin. "Well, just get a 3:2 adapter." Just one more piece of electronics in the circuit that could go bad.

Thanks,

Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we were towing a dinghy, we ahd trouble with stuff being thrown up and hitting the dinghy with the brush style and strip style deflectors. What we finally got that worked was the UndeRskirt. Also heard folks that used the solid TowGuard which is a solid plastic that stands up on the towbar at the dinghy.

As for brake/light connections, you just have to deal with the incompatibility of the light on the coach and the dinghy. There are just too many 2, 3 and 4 light systems to make it easy.

Ken
Old 04-07-2005, 09:23 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Blue Ribbon, welcome to irv2. I am sure you will get many comments, but I'll add my 2 cents. I've had both the bristle and full rubber flap. IMHO the bristles are better suited to protecting a following vehicle than a toad. The bristles 'fly' and let more gravel and such through. The full rubber 'flys' a little but on a round trip Fla-Or our toad had narry a chip. I did, however, attach small chains to the center & corners to keep the flapping at a minium.

In reference the tail & brake lights,after discovering the complexity of wiring the toad up front I opted for the magnetic lights that plug into a flat connector.

Hope this helps. Happy Trails!!
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I've only had my motorhome one season so far. When I bought the rig, I had the hard rubber one piece unit put on by the dealer. i think it is about 4" off the ground. So I cant compare with the other types of guards.
So far, I have had no stone damage etc to the toad. Now, obviously, I dont think it does much for rain spray or dusty roads, but apparently does keep the stones off it. I do also have the large mud flap behind the dual wheels. I'm sure those help also.
Mike

Please note the edit, my flap is about 3-4" off the ground, not 4'!!
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:01 PM   #6

.....I saw a guy in Fla that had set of flaps behind his duals and another flap along the back of the MH.....he said he never had any rock damage.....geofkaey
Old 04-08-2005, 03:51 PM   #7

I have had both the bristle type and now have the full width heavy mudflap. I also have flaps on all four corners behind the wheels. The brush or bristle model did not do a good job. The full mud flap does a very good job of holding debris down and off the toad. I also tried the bra route, worst thing I have ever done. I think the mud flaps on all four corners do help also. IMHO
Old 04-09-2005, 03:26 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
We have only had our motorhome since January and do not have anything across the back and have been on one 1,000 mile trip and did not have any rock chips on the the front of our toad. As far as the mud flaps behind the duals in most states those are required by law. Here in Texas if you do not have them and are stopped you can get a ticket for not having them. They are also required to get a state vehicle inspection sticker.
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 07:50 AM   #9

I use the Karguard that is mounted on the tow bar. Over 4,000 miles towing and not a nick on the Saturn. I also have the standard mud flaps behind each front wheel and behind both duals on the rear.

CAD-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 03:22 PM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CAD-Man:
I use the Karguard that is mounted on the tow bar. Over 4,000 miles towing and not a nick on the Saturn. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Me to!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:19 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I use the full width mudflap and haven't had any problems. However, that is going to depend upon where you go. If you have the mudflap nice and low and you start bouncing on a gravel road, the full width mudflap becomes a road grader and you start flinging gravel all over the place. Most Alaska caravans throw thenm away and make a sort of screen for the toad, very similar to the Kar Guard previously mentioned.

I think that the Kar Guard is probably the best thing out there. At present I'm just running the full width flap because I'm generally on paved roads, unless I'm crawling along. That way I don't have to put the Kar Guard on and off and it's one less thing to fiddle with. However, when I do get to our Alaska trip I'll get a Kar Guard in an instant and keep the full width at home in the garage. Driver has an excellent post on this website detailing the Kar Guard instalation which is a must-see.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote