Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #1

My 2014 Honda CR-V ..

I have an issue with my CR-V and my Doran TPMS system. I have the Doran 360 Rv for 10 wheels. 6 for the MH and 4 for the toad. The valve stems on my CR-V are rubber and are short. I f you are familiar with the Doran senders ( see attached the item on the left is to secure the sensor). Doran Mfg states that they should be on metal valve stems because the of the size of the sensor. The problem becomes the CR-V has its own TPMS system and I would need to replace the OEM with a sensor/metal stem. Honda really doesnt want to get involved. Has anyone had this problem and what was your work around
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DoranSender.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	96127  
edstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #2

I don't use TPMS but I can see Honda's point as an OEM. However, have you talked to a good tire shop? They are likely in a better position than Honda.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:00 PM   #3

I am talking with a auto repair center he is resarching the issue as well, off the top he said it could be something like 60 bucks a wheel, that is if they make such a item. To bad there isnt a device to plug into the Honda and transmit the signals from the OEM to my Doran
Old 06-03-2015, 03:08 PM   #4

Good Luck, I ran into this when I bought a set of rims and winter tires. They wanted something in the range your talking about for sensors so I opted for the old fashioned, check my tire pressure regularly. I check my MH and toad every day before takeoff and go around with my Fish Bat at each rest stop. I am anal about tires and brakes but TPMS does not get me excited.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:51 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I just looked at my 2013 Honda CRV with Honda TPMS... My valve stems are metal! Are you SURE your Honda TPMS stems are rubber... I've never seen an OEM TPMS that wasn't metal!!
Old 06-03-2015, 09:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
edstep,

I have the same issue. 2014 CRV and rubber stems. My tire guy said I can't put on the sensors either. If you find a solution, I'd be interested in hearing about it.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:44 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, I kind of have a similar situation, only different.

The tire pressure monitoring system on my 2005 Honda Pilot quit working last year. To date, I haven't found a Honda dealer that wants to fix it.

So, here's what I did. I recently purchased new tires for the toad, so when the tire shop was installing the tires, I had them remove the OEM sensors from the rims. They installed steel (well, OK, brass in this case) tire stems. I put the TPMS sensors on them.

When we unhook the toad, I put the coach TPMS monitor in the toad, and, VOILA!, we have a working tire pressure monitoring system when we're driving around in the toad.

The only downside is the OEM TPMS light is on telling me that the OEM TPMS is not working.

Oh well.

I suppose you could consider doing the same thing, and then re-install the OEM sensors and valve stems when you intend to sell the vehicle.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:49 PM   #8

Lots of stems at Amazon.

To install a new stem and remove the Honda TPMS unit only requires breaking the bead on the stem side. It does not require removing the tire fully from the wheel or re-balancing. Ought to run about $60 - $75 for all four.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:15 AM   #9
RV LIFE Support Team

Are you sure the TPMS is in the valve stem? I read someplace that it is in the wheel. We have lived many decades without a TPMS system in our tires and nver had a problem or a flat. I would put on the metal stems, put on the TPMS and jsut move the display to the toad if you feel you need a TPMS in the toad when using it.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:06 AM   #10

From what I am told its actually all one unit, sensor inside the wheel and the stem
Old 06-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #11

I figured I would update this post, if finally got my metal stems. Went to COSTCO and talked to one rep who says they install metal stem for TPMS. He says its done all the time. However when I went back I got another tech and he wasn't aware of anything like that

Hence I waited for the the fellow who I originally spoke with and I am set. It cost me $92 for the stems ( like $8 apiece) and installation etc

Hope this might help someone who is looking at this issue

Tags
honda