Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #1

My CRV w/ReadyBrake is powering my RV tailights

Ok, so I have my '07 CRV hooked up to my motorhome. I installed the Demco plug and play taillight wire kit. When I push on the brake pedal, my motorhome brake lights light up in conjuction with my CRV taillights.

I called NSA and he said I need a brakelight diode kit that installs in the brake wire at the brake pedal switch and plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. $50.

I just ordered a fuse bypass switch to cut off the accessories while towing. $60. This also cut off the cigarette lighter socket which would render the above kit useless.

It's because the ReadyBrake actuates the brake pedal thus creating two sources of power for the lights. He said it doesn't hurt anything, but when the CRV brake pedal is actuated, I won't have any turn signals of my motorhome.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2016, 03:55 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
TRY THIS

Old 05-09-2016, 03:55 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
On my 2014 Honda CRV my problem would have been the same as yours if not for the Roadmaster brake light relay kit for towed vehicles. It's $28.95 at Etrailer.com part #88400 it does not allow feedback into your motorhome.

They have an installation video but it is tight underneath the dash. Brake lights and turn signal on the Honda work as they are supposed to when you're not being towed.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:29 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Least expensive way is to go the your local Radio Shack, buy 6 cheap diodes (probably less than $10 for all six), wire the diodes into your towed vehicle rear running, brake, and turn signals, and you're good to go. The diodes are super easy to wire in, and super inexpensive. Took me about 20 minutes to wire my own vehicle.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Least expensive way is to go the your local Radio Shack, buy 6 cheap diodes (probably less than $10 for all six), wire the diodes into your towed vehicle rear running, brake, and turn signals, and you're good to go. The diodes are super easy to wire in, and super inexpensive. Took me about 20 minutes to wire my own vehicle.
That means I would have to tear out all that plastic moulding trim around the taillights...again. Ugh.

I kinda like that $28 gizmo.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:15 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think your taillights and trim are all one unit, remove a couple screws and out they come. But if you like $28.00 gizmos, that is what you should do.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:30 AM   #7

I think I can power the diode box after I install the fuse bypass switch because one of the wires to the switch will still have power. Right?
Old 05-10-2016, 12:03 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
I think I can power the diode box after I install the fuse bypass switch because one of the wires to the switch will still have power. Right?
I'm not sure I understand the question. The Brake Light Relay Kit uses power from a different source than your accessories.

This video on a 2010 CRV should be pretty similar to your 2004.

Whether you use diodes or the brake bypass switch it makes no difference on the 12V outlet and it's use. Neither of these methods requires an external power source with any connection to the accessory power circuits.

The Ready Brake doesn't need any external power. Using either the fuse bypass switch (as you have on order) or adding a charger line from the coach to the car battery solves any issues on your accessory system draining your CRV's battery.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I'm not sure I understand the question. The Brake Light Relay Kit uses power from a different source than your accessories.

This video on a 2010 CRV should be pretty similar to your 2004.

Whether you use diodes or the brake bypass switch it makes no difference on the 12V outlet and it's use. Neither of these methods requires an external power source with any connection to the accessory power circuits.

The Ready Brake doesn't need any external power. Using either the fuse bypass switch (as you have on order) or adding a charger line from the coach to the car battery solves any issues on your accessory system draining your CRV's battery.
OK, I watched that video. Looks pretty easy, but how does that installation differentiate between pushing on the brake pedal when I'm driving, versus when I'm towing and the brake pedal is pushed(pulled)? I guess I just don't understand the flow of the current. I guess I just want to know HOW it works.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:27 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
...I guess I just want to know HOW it works.

Basically it works like this...

1. The hot wire to the brake switch is split and connected to relay harness. The green wire of the harness feeds Pin 87 from one side of the hot wire and the black wire of the harness feeds pin 30 that feeds back to the brake switch.

2. Power to activate the relay is provided through the harness. The fused red wire is connected to a fuse that is only hot when the key is in the ON mode (NOT ACC) providing power to pin 86. The white wire of the harness is connected to pin 85 providing a ground for the relay.

When installed properly and the key is ON the red and white wires connected to pins 85 & 86 provide power the relay and closes the circuit connecting pins 87 & 30. This, in turn, allows power for the brake lights to flow through pins 87 & 30 when the brake pedal is pushed.

The extra red wire that the video shows being tied to the green wire can be used for other things but for now, I don't think you have a use planned for it but I would still do that part and keep it available for future use. As an example, you could use that to power an LED light mounted to the back of your CRV's rear view mirror that would shine when ever the CRV's brakes are activated. This would be visible in your rear view camera.

One IMPORTANT thing...this will change how your brake lights behave when the key is in any mode other than ON. Currently your brake lights some on when ever you push the brake peddle regardless of key position or even if you don't have the key in the switch. With this installed you will no longer have brake lights unless your key is ON.

The only way around this is to use diodes at the tail lights in stead of the Brake Relay Switch as outlined above. Properly installed diodes are not that difficult to do and would keep your brake lights functioning in a stock manner and stop the back feeding you are experiencing.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:14 PM   #11

Ah ha! This explains it:

" The fused red wire is connected to a fuse that is only hot when the key is in the ON mode (NOT ACC)"

I did not know there were only "ON" sources. Now I will have to find one of those...

So the relay is normally open, blocking power to the taillights from the battery. When I go to the ON position, it closes the relay for normal brake lights while driving.

Thanks.

Tags
brake, light, lights, power