Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #1

N00b needs advice

Hey Folks
New Class A Gas owner here. We just bought a 2016 Adventurer 37F.
So it's the Ford V-10 and Torqshift tranny. Right now has a 5,000 lb. hitch , I would consider going to a 10,000 lb. if that is what I need to do.
I want to be able to tow a small suv and a motorcycle. The bike is roughly 550 pounds. So I'm looking for suggestions on any sort of configuration. Is there a hitch hauler that I could put the bike on then hitch the the car onto that. Or a suv with a hitch that could support the bike on a hitch hauler on the back. The vehicle we have now can't be flat towed
Should I go with a trailer for the car and bike and keep our current suv? I would love to use that to convince the wife we need a Jeep wrangler but I don't think the wrangler could support the bike hanging off the class II hitch. So I'm concerned with both tongue weight and total towing capacity of the coach. I appreciate any advice.
Scottybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2018, 11:23 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybee View Post
Hey Folks
New Class A Gas owner here. We just bought a 2016 Adventurer 37F.
So it's the Ford V-10 and Torqshift tranny. Right now has a 5,000 lb. hitch , I would consider going to a 10,000 lb. if that is what I need to do.
I want to be able to tow a small suv and a motorcycle. The bike is roughly 550 pounds. So I'm looking for suggestions on any sort of configuration. Is there a hitch hauler that I could put the bike on then hitch the the car onto that. Or a suv with a hitch that could support the bike on a hitch hauler on the back. The vehicle we have now can't be flat towed
Should I go with a trailer for the car and bike and keep our current suv? I would love to use that to convince the wife we need a Jeep wrangler but I don't think the wrangler could support the bike hanging off the class II hitch. So I'm concerned with both tongue weight and total towing capacity of the coach. I appreciate any advice.
Welcome, but I don't think your are going to like my answer. It is one or the other. You are looking at putting an awful lot of weight on the rear of your coach. The F-53 has a good frame, but it has about 10+ feet of extension added to it. If you add a motorcycle and a trailer with your car that is worse. Plus when you get to the CG you will have to find a place to park your trailer. I flat tow a Chevy Traverse now and love it. I have tried trailers and tow dollies and HATE!!!!! them. Your back or a vehicle always gets damaged. I would stop camping if I had to go back. I can either hook up or disconnect in 5 minutes or less. Then I spend another 5 minutes or so hooking up and testing my toad braking system.
Best wishes and enjoy.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:34 AM   #3

I probably wouldn’t hang a 550lb motorcycle off the back, plus tow a small suv. Having never had a need to explore this, all I concerned myself with was not exceeded the hitch limit nor the combined weight rating. I gotta believe the reason the F53 is limited to a 5k hitch is due at least in part to the fact there is a frame extension welded on..
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
It's not the hitch that limits you to 5,000lbs towing. It's the engine and drive train, plus the braking system. If you have to tow that much, then you are going to have to upgrade to a diesel that will handle the tow. BTW, the makers of the rear M/C lifts do not recommend putting them on anything other than a coach with a tag axle. Some do it anyway, but it's not recommended due to weight loading of the rear axle and unloading weight from the front.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
You might be able to stay within your coach's limits with a small pickup and the MC in the bed We towed a '05 Colorado with a golf cart in the bed and we were very close to our limit on an '05 Suncruiser. Never more than 1/4 tank of gas and nothing else in the truck.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:06 PM   #6

Thanks Gentlemen for the info and advice.
Scottybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't help with the questions but noticed you are kinda new and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice