Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #15

Jayco Owners Club
All Wheel Drive AC Powered Trailer Dolly

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
TRAILER MOVER PLANS- 12V HEAVY DUTY Version, Dolly | eBay

Trailer Mover Photo & Video Gallery

Old 08-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
that dolly is cool! But i think i'm going to move forward with the car hitch. The trailer is too much for the car when loaded, but to move it around in a lot or down the street, i'm sure it will be fine.

cheers
geo
Old 08-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

I agree with Hikerdog you need a tongue jack with a wheel on it. THe way that works is you loosen the ball mechanism and the safety chains, then you crank up the jack til it is free from the ball. Once that is done you can push the trailer anyplace you want to. It also makes it easy to hook it up as you can manever it anyoplace you need to place it. This is all done with the trailer empty of course.

There is a trailer tongue jack with a wheel on my tow dolly and I can push that anywhere I want except when on loose gravel and it comes in handy when it a campground where I have to disconnect dolly and park it alongside or in rear of motorhome. I also use it to connect to toad when I have to disconnect at a place other than campsite. I then push it to toad and reconnect it to it and the DW drives it to campsite.

On all my trailers I have a tongue jack with a wheel on it and it makes it easy to move around plus they are not expensive.

Enjoy!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,

I agree with Hikerdog you need a tongue jack with a wheel on it. THe way that works is you loosen the ball mechanism and the safety chains, then you crank up the jack til it is free from the ball. Once that is done you can push the trailer anyplace you want to. It also makes it easy to hook it up as you can manever it anyoplace you need to place it. This is all done with the trailer empty of course.

There is a trailer tongue jack with a wheel on my tow dolly and I can push that anywhere I want except when on loose gravel and it comes in handy when it a campground where I have to disconnect dolly and park it alongside or in rear of motorhome. I also use it to connect to toad when I have to disconnect at a place other than campsite. I then push it to toad and reconnect it to it and the DW drives it to campsite.

On all my trailers I have a tongue jack with a wheel on it and it makes it easy to move around plus they are not expensive.

Enjoy!

I want to watch this. His trailer most likely weighs 1500-2000 pounds; mine weighs 1650 pounds with a tongue weight in excess of 300 pounds. You're not moving any car hauler trailer by hand-thats why they don't provide a wheel for the tongue jack.

I'll still watch.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Jim,

I guess you could watch that all day long as it does work. I have a 2300 boat on a trailer with a tongue jack with a wheel and I move it all over by hand without a problem.

Fact of the matter my boat is in the garage and I have to push it to get it in it's spot plus I can't lift it. I also have to push it the other way to connect it to the car. Therefore the trailer tongue jack with wheel will move that empty trailer around with no problem.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
I want to watch this. His trailer most likely weighs 1500-2000 pounds; mine weighs 1650 pounds with a tongue weight in excess of 300 pounds. You're not moving any car hauler trailer by hand-thats why they don't provide a wheel for the tongue jack.

I'll still watch.
My trailer is rated for 10,000 lbs and weighs 2,100 lbs empty. On level ground you can start it rolling with 1 hand. The trouble is it's almost impossible to steer and hard to stop once it starts moving, even on level pavement. I use a tongue jack with a flat shoe to make it more difficult to move without being attached to a tow vehicle. Every time the trailer is parked the wheels are chocked.

One time when I was trying to park the empty trailer I disconnected it from the truck before chocking the wheels. BIG MISTAKE!!! It started rolling down a slight decline. There was no way I could stop it by hand. It dragged me several feet before I had the presence of mind to throw a log behind the tire. Once I got it stopped I tried pushing it back to the parking spot. I couldn't budge it an inch even though the slope was barely noticable. I had to hook a tow strap from the truck to the trailer just to move it about 6' up an all but non existant slope.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My hauler is 2000 and some change empty.....
aint no way I can move it safely by hand, them powered dollies are cool...but then where to put it after use, and how much do they weigh

we had a hitch on both vehicles just so we could move it if needed at a cg. or if we had to unhook along the way
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Auto hauler04.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	13381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 041.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	13382  

powerboatr is online now   Reply With Quote