Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
Need a hook/unhook checklist

We finished with the Readybrake Elite install, lights, the whole 9 yards. I hooked up the toad to the coach and drove it a bit while my other half followed in her car, communicating on a portable radio to me, as I stopped, turned, etc.

As we unhooked for the first time, I went to store the towing equipment away when I heard a gasp. The toad had rolled forward and touched the coach!

I never put it in park before I unhooked the toad. OMG
Glad no one was between the coach and toad, and glad the slight hill wasn't going the other way!

No damage to either vehicle

4 feet 4 hands 4 paws
Former Entegra Aspire 2013
Us3Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
Forest River Owners Club
Checklists are always a good idea - just be sure that you keep to it. They are also very easy to foget/ignore/'temporarily' put aside, etc.

- Randy

1975 VW Westfalia camper
2104 Rockwood A122 A-frame
WrongWayRand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
Originally Posted by WrongWayRand View Post
Checklists are always a good idea - just be sure that you keep to it. They are also very easy to foget/ignore/'temporarily' put aside, etc.

- Randy
I started out with checklists and after 2 years no longer use them. And that's the problem.

Regarding the coach....

On a couple of occasions doing a walk around, one time looking up and the next looking down I found surprises. Things like the shore power line was still hooked up, or an awning was out, or the dish was still in the deployed position. Of course I'm 63 and these kinds of surprises are now just a part of my life. Too bad we can't retire at 30 when we are all still quick and alert.

No problems with the toad however. I try not to park on a hill though. [wink]

PS From experience: Best to do your walk around looking down first, not up. That may protect you from tripping over the shore power cord you left out. LOL
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2012 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is not much you can do for the roll situation you were in, it just happens once in a while. Maybe not to everyone, but you and I have approximately the same mental facilities when it comes to that scenario.

I typically (except on 2 occasions) open the door, push on the brake pedal, and put it in park. That eliminates the roll. Where I get in trouble is when the hitch is being stubborn and I get back into the car and put it in neutral so I can negate the bind on the hitch pins. I get the out, but forget that the car is in neutral. In both of my occasions I was able to hold on to the car and keep it from going anywhere, so almost flat ground, but not quite. The next words out of my mouth are to the DW, "Hey! Help! Go put your foot on the brake!"
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
We have a checklist taped inside a cabinet door, and we still refer to it every time we break camp, even after 6 years of full-timing.

Every time something messes up, it goes on the list. So the list reads like a comedy of errors of all the things that could go wrong and did!!

Keep a list, refer to it each time you hook up, and keep adding to it!!!
Emily & Mark Fagan, traveling full-time since 2007
2007 Hitchhiker II LS & 2007 Dodge RAM 3500 4x4
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
How bout chocks? would that work? you could rock the car but not much.
We'll be friends until I'm old and senile, then we'll be new friends.

'97 Allegro Bay 35' Chevy, '98 Saturn Wagon, Blue Ox Aventa II, Patriot Brake
rvgrammady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You are one lucky guy! As you said, had the hill been sloping the other way it could have been a disaster! Checklists are definitely the way to go!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

BTW- I love my ReadyBrute tow bars!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #8
Maybe a label on the tow bracket as close to the pin as possible? Or on the tow bar?
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
We've gotten away from using a written checklist but there are some critical things we both inspect such as making sure the transmission on the toad is in neutral and that all the jacks are up. We both do the final walk-around before we put the MH in gear.
Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
I have a laminated checklist I use when connecting and disconnecting the TOAD (modified a few times early on). I use the ReadyBrute which is fairly straight forward.

On the RV I put a clothespin attached to a 3x5 card and clip it to the steering wheel That serves to remind be of the standard things I must do each time before we drive off (jacks up, ant down, electric power cable in, steps up with eng start/door closed).
lavamanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tend to forget to check the little things, like the jacks under the MH. Not pretty when you begin to close the slideout!! I have an IPhone and found a fantastic app that can be downloaded. I use "RV Checklist" and you can edit it to add anything unique to your unit. Since I always have the phone with me I can simply open it and begin going down the checklist. Sure saves repair expenses......
crumgj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
We have multiple checklists that are located in the areas that are applicable (toad list is in the toad, etc.). However, we have found that the key ingredient is that TWO PEOPLE need to review each item and agree verbally. One person can go thru a procedure so many times that they "see" it happening regardless of whether they actually checked. Ask me how I know (yup ... the toad key is on and steering wheel is not locked) ...

2005 Newmar Essex 4502
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote