Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Need a toad for the road but not sure which one?

Have decided that the rental car thing isn't working out and feeling more comfortable with driving. Was nervous about pulling a toad, still am. So I don't want to spend a lot of money for something that will sit most of the time. None of my current vehicles will tow. Just my luck. Looking for input on type of toad from the experienced..

1) I am 6'3 and have bad knees so need roomy is a plus

2) Easiest to setup and hook up, as physically I can't be crawling around the vehicle too much

3) Inexpensive but reliable

4) Best for the INEXPERIENCED in pulling, tracking, weather conditions and so fourth.

5) Would like to keep the price tween 5k-10k or so.

I have an 09 Tuscany 40' w/360hp Cummins and about 10k lbs to work with.

Thanks in advance
Tim
roboniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a jeep liberty 4x4 w/ a blue ox tow system, my husband is 6' 7" and this has work fine for him. Good luck!
long2rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:32 AM   #3

Toad Specs

Almost any standard transmission automobile will tow OK. If you need an automatic transmission Like I do, I am 6'3" 210 lbs with limited mobility. Our toad is a 2003 Honda CRV with blue Ox & brake Buddy. No crawling on the ground when hooking up & the tow bar stays on the coach when unhooked. CRV has plenty of leg room & has been dependable, also it is all wheel drive for dirt roads and such. I believe the costs should be within your price range.... Happy Traveling
Bitafun2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:51 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The Saturn Vue is another toad that is popular with folks like yourself. No hassle, roomy, moderate price. Might be hard to find a used one, though.

Suzuki Grand Vitara & Chevy Tracker 4WD is another choice that should fit in your price range, though I'm not sure about the leg room.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:16 AM   #5

Our HHR suits us. I am tall and it has plenty of leg and head room and you sit more upright in it than a regular car. Simple, reliable, and cheap to run. Light and easy to tow and towable with its automatic tranny. You could get a used one for a good price.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am biased toward Jeep. Older and you won't need a diode to keep the battery charged while towing. Tracks wonderful. Do get an in place brake system not the box that you have to lug in and out. Saving on one rental car should cover the cost of all your tow equipment.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:00 PM   #7

I'm 6ft three also and tow a 2003 Honda CRV.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks everyone. I am browsing the car lots now. I hadn't thought of the CRV but will definately look at them now. Also, looking at the Jeep Liberty. I appreciate the insight from experience rather than a salesman....
roboniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We found several Vues through Carmax. The 2005 we have now had 26K miles on it and, being a 5sp, was priced very close to your range. As others have indicated, it tows easily, is roomy and, unlike the '94 Saturn SL-1 that we just sold after 5 years of towing it, is easy to get parts for.

I did my own baseplate install. If you get a similar Vue (the awd is very different) and want to use a Roadmaster base plate, let me know. I have some great tips for you.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:38 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Check out a used 05 Honda Element. Great tow, lots of room (we carry full sized bikes upright in rear), easy hook up, and towable 4 down (ie., no dolly, no drive train alterations needed). It's a great knock around towed vehicle for RV'ing. Steve
Old 05-12-2009, 07:04 AM   #11
paz

My wife had bad knees before her successful knee surgery last year. With her bad knees, we found she couldn't get her feet up over the deep door sill on most sedans. We discovered an SUV (or truck) was the only thing without a deep door sill. I recommend an SUV, as most others have already stated.

We ended up with a Saturn Vue, but if you need something bigger because of your height, also check out the Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia, or Saturn Outlook. Depending on what GM ends up doing to solve their financial problems, GMC and Saturn may be going away, so I would stick with the Chevy Traverse.

The 2009 Chevy Equinox Sport is also towable 4 down. All models of the 2010 (due out soon) Equinox should be towable 4 down.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #12

Smile

Don't forget the Ford Explorer, Tracks great, Lots of room and easy to hookup. We've towed ours for over 10,000 miles with no problems.