Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
Anyone with a turn table alot less hassle. Master tow, Stehl, American and a few others just make sure you get one with brakes.
Correct me if I'm wrong. Turntable dollies are less hassle unless of course you do NOT have a locking steering column. In which case you'd have to lock your steering column with a strap or something.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check out the American Car Dolly and it's features. Looks to be well built (better than some popular brands) and reasonably priced $1395 delivered to your driveway.

Home | American Car Dolly

TnT612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:43 AM   #17

I tow a 2014 jeep cherokee latitude front wheel drive (not 4x4) non locking steering. I have a master tow 80, have towed well over 8000 miles and have never tied the steering and have never had any adverse problems, never find the pan off center when I stop or see the car track oddly. When it comes to weight of the dolly mine is 549 lbs weighted by me at a scale. A friend I travel with has the acme and I have moved it for him at campgrounds and see little difference in weight when handling them knowing the acme is 400 lbs.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:15 AM   #18

I tow with a Stehl Tow, with no locking steering, without problems.

I have gotten into some tight turns, where the swivel pan, hits it's limits and the car wheels turn, just like a Acme. When I straighten out it straightens out.

Even my short Kia Soul, it has never hit the fenders.

Someone mentioned jack knife, in a panic stop. The surge brakes will prevent that, in all but a crash. Then all bets are off.

And backing up? Its just not recommended with any dolly.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I used a Roadmaster which had steer tires on it, worked very good for me for several years.

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #20

The EzTow and American Car Dolly look to be basically the same although the EzTow looks like it's better built. There are a couple of things I notices about the two.

The ACD has a plate under the tires which take the spot load off the tires. The ETD looks like it would put more pressure on two small spots. Don't know if this really makes any difference just noting it.

The ACD only comes with electric drum brakes where the ETD comes with either electric drum or disc surge.

The tail lights on the ETD are much nicer and allow for better standing up of the dolly for storage.

Even without the plate taking reducing the spot load on the tires I think I'd go with the ETD.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #21

You need to look a little harder, the American Car, is a swivel plate, dolly.

The ETD, forces your front wheels to turn.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:53 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnT612 View Post
Check out the American Car Dolly and it's features. Looks to be well built (better than some popular brands) and reasonably priced $1395 delivered to your driveway.

Home | American Car Dolly
X2

Can't say enough good stuff about ours. Have yet to find a fault, flaw or difficulty in its use
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:57 PM   #23

Try Landgrebe Mfg. Have towed many miles and extremely satisfied.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:32 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi Guys,
Might as well throw my 2cents worth in.I also have the master tow dolly 80hdeb and have towed over 13000 miles with no problem.I tow a 2013 Hyundai Elantra Gt.It does not have a locking steering wheel but,I tighten the straps really tight and have not had any issues.Good Luck and many safe travels.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:15 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Demco Kar Kaddy 460SS is by far the best tow dolly on the market but it is also the most expensive. If you shop around you can find a deal on one. A lot of people go to towing 4 down when they change cars. I like the tow dolly because I can tow just about any car on it and yes I have towed some rear wheel drive cars backwards.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
The Demco Kar Kaddy 460SS is by far the best tow dolly on the market but it is also the most expensive. If you shop around you can find a deal on one. A lot of people go to towing 4 down when they change cars. I like the tow dolly because I can tow just about any car on it and yes I have towed some rear wheel drive cars backwards.
I also feel the Kar Kaddy 460SS is the best dolly on the market. Expensive new yes. I bought my 2005 Kar Kaddy SS used a couple of years ago for $2,000.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:10 PM   #27
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
About the KarKaddy SS...yes - strong, yes - expensive, yes- lots of moving parts like in the dolly steering. And don't forget heavy.
One of the most common issues reported by those that went to 4 down towing is what to do with the dolly at the destination...

Listed at 615lb unloded...try pushing that to the back of your campsite?
Kar Kaddy SS | Demco Products
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
About the KarKaddy SS...yes - strong, yes - expensive, yes- lots of moving parts like in the dolly steering. And don't forget heavy.
One of the most common issues reported by those that went to 4 down towing is what to do with the dolly at the destination...

Listed at 615lb unloded...try pushing that to the back of your campsite?
Kar Kaddy SS | Demco Products
I have pushed mine around quite a bit. It is doable.

I also had a hitch on the back of the car, which has come in handy a couple of times for longer moves (that's how we get it from the house to the end of the block for hookup).

I agree that they are well mad and durable. Also affordable if you can find a used one.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly