Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #1
Need a tow dolly - which one is best

Like to drag my Prius behind the motor coach. The Prius cannot be drugged on all fours, so I have been looking at tow dollys, but can't make my mind up on which one. Kind of leaning toward the "surge disk brakes" rather than electric. The Acme looks OK, but would cost $2,000 which includes freight. Any ideas?

hwuns0714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
Stehl Tow, carried by large hardware and trailer dealers. No shipping, swivel plate, surge disk brakes. $ 1600.00 in PA, last year.

The web site does not show disk brakes, but the dealer stocked them, I have them.

I have about 6000 miles, pulling my Kia Soul. All good

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:18 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Congrats on the smart decision to dolly tow. Your Prius will be happy, up high away from rock strikes and free of mileage on the car's lower driveline. And kudos to you for thinking about brakes for the tow...they are not required in many places, but smart and safer

For your Sprinter based RV, weight might be a consideration. Some dollys weigh-in at 800-1000lb. Be sure to check your hitch and/or RV placards for max towing capacity.

We have an EZE-Tow. It is so simple and easy to use with auto-adjusting disc surge brakes. And, at only about 400lb it does not impact the total towed weight very much.

The most important point to consider with the EZE-Tow is that the car's steering must be unlocked to allow turns - just like flat towing. This is because there is no pivot pan on the dolly to pivot for turns. No pivot pan means a much lower dolly weight.

Many new Toyota's have a keyless ignition, so if there is a steering lock on your Prius, (many now do not have steering locks), you will need to ID the steering lock fuse to disable the lock for towing.

There really are no really bad dolly's, but those with fixed ramps can hit the underside of a low slung car when passing over curb gutters in driveways.
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:19 PM   #4
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
I have the Acme and it was closer to $1400 than $2000

If you watch their video, they are towing a Prius in the demo.

I tow my Prius with it and it's very nice.

Good luck with your final decision.

Ken & Laurie
Northern Ohio
2015 Berkshire 400QL
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:41 PM   #5
Check this out:
Home | American Car Dolly
I have had mine since 2007 and it has served me well..
2015 A.C.E. 27.1
American Car Dolly
2001 Ram 1500 / 2012 Kia Soul....Go Hamsters!
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:51 PM   #6
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tow a Prius, and I own an ACME EZ-TOW dolly with surge brakes. I can and will highly recommend it! It's light so it's easy to maneuver at your campsite. It's a very low profile dolly, so the Prius has plenty of clearance when loading and unloading, (without damaging the plastic aerodynamic bits under the bumpers).

I purchased mine on Craigslist for $900, and picked it up locally. It was a 2014 model and had only been used once, (it still had the nibs on the tires).
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #7
Another vote for the Eze Tow (look up my Just got my Eze Tow thread for lots of discussion on the relative merits of this dolly).

I could have gotten one on Craigslist for a little more than $1000. Lots of people buy tow dollies and either move to 4-down tow set ups or get rid of them for some other reason. There had been a lot of Craigslist robberies in the news lately and I decided to buy new. With shipping to Florida it was closer $1800 for the unit with disc brakes.

I especially like the Eze Tow because I can stand it up straight and store it in my garage in a minimum of space. Very good customer support in my experience, although like anything else not everyone on this forum has the same opinion
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2014 CRV w/EZ Tow
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:51 AM   #8
We have an ACME tow dolly that we bought last year... Used it twice. For a total of less than 2000 mile... Works great and flawlessly. [Mod Edits made]
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
wbwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #9
I just received my Acme EZE tow ... If have to say it works very well, I have only used it once so far, and it was a total of 15 miles towing my work van .. 2012 toyota sienna van, it worked very well!!! So far so good!! It's easy to move around by yourself!! Im in Canada and it was shipped right to my door, that was a bonus, even with the extra charges to here and the exchange in the dollar, it was cheaper than most offered here for sale, and the fact that we will be towing a 2003 VW beetle or 2013 fiat 500c abarth the perminant ramps were a huge worry for me .... Not anymore!!!
2011 Thor FourWinds Windsport 31D

It is a Hybrid ... it burns both gas AND money!!
ttarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:34 PM   #10
Anyone with a turn table alot less hassle. Master tow, Stehl, American and a few others just make sure you get one with brakes.
George & Jerri
06 GT 340TSSE
jergeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:04 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FWIW, there are 3 basic designs of dollys...turn table, fixed frame, and steering axle types.

Turn Table or Pivot Pan: These dollys have MASSIVE STRENGTH, but they also have massive weight to support the weight of the car being pulled on the center pivot point of the turn table connection at the dolly and all the redundant steel for the frame and turn table.

And, a pivot pan/turn table dolly can cause impact damage with the dolly fender against the car, if the dolly frame swings too far - such as in a jack-knife due to a panic stop or if backing with a loaded dolly.

Finally, there is a third option over fixed frame (Acme) and turn table styles (Mastertow, Stehl, etc.)...a steerable axle dolly like the Demco KarKaddy SS. These are awesome, well built dollys (yes, they are heavy despite having no pivot pan) with all the options available for brakes, finish, folding tongue, etc.. They do not need the steering unlocked -AND- cannot cause jack-knife damage to the car...and, the price point tells the story about these dollys

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:15 PM   #12
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
I have the Acme and it was closer to $1400 than $2000

If you watch their video, they are towing a Prius in the demo.

I tow my Prius with it and it's very nice.

Good luck with your final decision.

The price for the Acme Tow Dolly with disc brakes is $1600 plus shipping within US of $350. If you want a spare tire it's another $130 and spare straps are $90. So it's real easy to spend over $2170 for the dolly now. Gone are the days of $1400.
rvpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:26 PM   #13
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a KK-460, paid about $2,200 for it using Honda's money! Great dolly, tows easily, sets up easily with surge brakes. Not easy to manhandle around though.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:28 AM   #14
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use an 80 inch wide Master Tow dolly with surge brakes to tow our Prius. It is a swivel pan design. It has never damaged the car (sides or bottom) while towing.

Fran, Mary & Zoey (silver Cocker)
2006 Itasca Sunrise 35A, 2005 W-22, Allison 1000 5 speed
'13 Ford Focus ST or '10 Prius on Master Tow Dolly 80THD-SB or '00 Jeep Cherokee 4-down
Rockwood27 is online now   Reply With Quote

dolly, tow, tow dolly