Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Snerd View Post
I didn't buy a braking system....personal choice.
A personal choice to put everyone else on the road at risk? Please let us know your travel itineraries so we can avoid those roadways at those times.

2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #16
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
I didn't buy a braking system....personal choice.
That's a against the law almost everywhere unless you are under a certain weight. Some places require it period!

Old 12-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
A personal choice to put everyone else on the road at risk? Please let us know your travel itineraries so we can avoid those roadways at those times.
I'll tell you why: I did the math and used some logic.

It's perfectly, 50-State legal to go down to U-Haul and rent a tow dolly (or buy one, for that matter!) that has NO supplemental braking system that increases the potential 'points of failure' about 3-fold by...

- adding about an additional half-ton to the overall package
- creating more discrepancies with weight distribution
- putting more stress on the overall system- adding additional length
- creating at least 2 additional pivot points

...and pull that all over God's creation.

Please explain to me how you see the sum of those issues making my towing w/o a braking system so dangerous that you feel the need to request my travel plans so that you can alert the general public to clear the roadways, lock their doors, and kiss their children goodbye?

Anyway, thanks for reaffirming why I tend to lurk rather than try to help. Instead of merely adding to the conversation, you decided to be a jackfish...
Old 12-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post

That's a against the law almost everywhere unless you are under a certain weight. Some places require it period!
Understood. But like I was saying, you can buy/rent a tolly w/o any braking system and be 100% legal, so.....
Old 12-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #19

Quote:
I'll tell you why: I did the math and used some logic. It's perfectly, 50-State legal to go down to U-Haul and rent a tow dolly (or buy one, for that matter!) that has NO supplemental braking system that increases the potential 'points of failure' about 3-fold by... - adding about an additional half-ton to the overall package - creating more discrepancies with weight distribution - putting more stress on the overall system- adding additional length - creating at least 2 additional pivot points ...and pull that all over God's creation. Please explain to me how you see the sum of those issues making my towing w/o a braking system so dangerous that you feel the need to request my travel plans so that you can alert the general public to clear the roadways, lock their doors, and kiss their children goodbye? Anyway, thanks for reaffirming why I tend to lurk rather than try to help. Instead of merely adding to the conversation, you decided to be a jackfish...

All Uhaul car hauler trailers and wheel dollies do have supplemental hydraulic braking. They always have. Uhaul does not rent anything you can pull any car with that doesn't have supplemental brakes.

Even their bigger enclosed moving trailers have braking.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
First I do tow a dodge mini van 4 down with a roadmaster,and demco base plates. And I do use a BRAKE SYSTEM IN CAR. Now as for not using a brake in your car is ok in most states and if you look at most boat trailors including mine (20 foot bayliner) does not come with brakes!!!! it is around 3500 lbs. also I have a big motorcycle trailer that holds 5 bikes that did not come with brakes so I assume you pull off the road when you see one of these coming down the road. If your under the GVWR of your tow rig you are not breaking the law. Have you ever heard of anyone getting a ticket for not having brakes? And once again I do tow WITH BRAKES in my toad.

Don
Old 12-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
I didn't want spend the extra dough for a brake for my toad either. But I don't want to risk a catastrophic failure of my tow set-up to kill some innocent person. Are the odds pretty slim? Sure. But it happens. I love to gamble, but not with a stranger's life. Most of us aren't willing to do that. You clearly are.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by so47 View Post
I didn't want spend the extra dough for a brake for my toad either. But I don't want to risk a catastrophic failure of my tow set-up to kill some innocent person. Are the odds pretty slim? Sure. But it happens. I love to gamble, but not with a stranger's life. Most of us aren't willing to do that. You clearly are.

That's a little extreme assessment. Depending on a lot of factors it may or may not be unsafe and we do t have enough details here IMHO to make a firm determination. I'm not sure what you mean by catastrophic tow set up failure. If you mean the toad separates from the RV thats what safety chains are for. Those are required on all trailers no matter weight or type and if they have brakes or not. That's the fail safe for a catastrophic failure.

Some RVs owners and TT owners are such poor drivers they risk someone's life just pulling out of the driveway. I'm serious.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutAround View Post

All Uhaul car hauler trailers and wheel dollies do have supplemental hydraulic braking. They always have. Uhaul does not rent anything you can pull any car with that doesn't have supplemental brakes.

Even their bigger enclosed moving trailers have braking.
Haulers, yes but they still rent small dollys w/o brakes. I've rented one!
Old 12-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by so47 View Post
If, "...catastrophic failure..." is what you're planning for, then you don't even leave the house....

Besides, we're addressing beaking systems and not breakaway systems....I haven't offered comment on that. :-)
Old 12-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Haulers, yes but they still rent small dollys w/o brakes. I've rented one!

Respectfully no they don't.

They only rent one size of dolly and while it may appeared to not have supplemental brakes it did in fact have hydraulic surge brakes built into the dolly. These are hydraulic and activate when the tongue of the dolly pushes against the towing vehicle during de acceleration this activating the dolly brakes. Its transparent to the user and fully automatic and requires nothing to be hooked up.

I promise all U haul dollies and car haulers in addition to their larger moving trailers have this system and have for at least the past 15 years if not longer.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
The only thing I can add to this discussion is that it is only common sense that tells me that my mh will stop faster and in a shorter distance if my toad has supplemental braking to assist, when involved in a emergency situation.

Ron
Old 12-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Anyway, thanks for reaffirming why I tend to lurk rather than try to help. Instead of merely adding to the conversation, you decided to be a jackfish...
Well, please resume lurking. There are more than enough discussions on RV forums about why it is prudent to use supplemental braking with toads, all personal reasons aside. Just because someone else may be doing something that is risky does not provide logic for doing that something oneself.

The party line: Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
Old 12-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #28

Well at least Herman knows he is breaking the law. I have a friend who has been towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee for years and had never heard about supplemental brake systems! In most States 3,000 lbs is the limit but I think it still makes sense if your car is lighter than that. Why would you spend 10's or 100's of thousands on a coach and then worry about the cost of a brake unit? When I weighed my Subaru it was 500 lbs over curb weight and I did not have a lot of stuff in it.

P.S. In the event of an accident not only would you get a ticket but it may invalidate your insurance!

Closed Thread

Tags
advice, towing