Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutAround View Post

Respectfully no they don't.
Yes, they do: http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=TD

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #30

Folks, I haven't read all the posts in this thread but the simple fact can be found on any states web site where a majority of states require brakes for towing 3000 lbs. or greater. Some are 1500 lbs. and Texas is 4500 lbs.

So what ever state you are living in or planning to travel, why not just check and be safe

I'll agree that the laws may not be strictly enforced, but they are regulation and they make all of us safer.

I had the AF1 installed, not because it's the law, but because it makes me more comfortable.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
Well, please resume lurking. There are more than enough discussions on RV forums about why it is prudent to use supplemental braking with toads, all personal reasons aside. Just because someone else may be doing something that is risky does not provide logic for doing that something oneself.

The party line: Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
I never said it wasn't prudent nor did I say that anyone (yourself included) shouldn't use one. I merely said that I personally chose not to use one and offered logic and facts as to why. That aside:

- YOU devolved the original question into an argument over "to brake or not to brake" rather than help the poster
- YOU brought rhetoric and insult into this discussion....again, rather than offering facts or trying to help
- YOU tried to cast my personal opinion into a net of public policy
- YOU decided to act like an ass about all this.

Out.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Well at least Herman knows he is breaking the law.
No, I am not breaking any law nor am I advocating same. I also STRONGLY resent the accusation.

I've been 100% legal in all states I've towed in....and all w/o any supplimental braking.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tow bar and base plate.. Well with that much towed you want one rated for 10,000 pounds.. With that in mind go to the dealer, look at the display and pick the one that makes you feel the best.. I am serious about this, I have looked at Roadmaster, Demco, Blue Ox and Ready Brute and frankly With one minor exception which you will read below it would be very hard for me to recommend one brand over another.

I do, however (This is models, not makes) Recommend one where the tow bars stow ON THE MOTOR HOME not on the car. Like the Blue Ox units. (All the other companies make some models like that as well)

The minor exception:

YOU NEED AUX BRAKING SYSTEM on the towed, This is the big thing many overlook IT MUST hae operatonal brakes.

The Ready Brute can be had with the Ready Brake surge brake system.

NOW... Depending on your use this can be a good system, or not.. I have heard stories of the cables sezing up due to months of winter driving and no use of the system... I, on the other hand, full time and thus it will be rare for me to go 2 weeks without towing.

As for brake systems in general.. I do not like the box-in-the-seat systems like Brake Buddy.. Too easy (on a short trip) to say "Oh forget it" and then reget that decision.. There are other reasons as well but that is the primary one.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Snerd View Post
No, I am not breaking any law nor am I advocating same. I also STRONGLY resent the accusation.

I've been 100% legal in all states I've towed in....and all w/o any supplimental braking.
I apologize for my badly worded comment. I meant to say that, unlike my friend, you know there is a law and whether you would be breaking it when not using a supplement braking system in the toad.
I think your original comment was a little misleading as I read it to mean anyone could make a personal decision to not use a braking system.
I am also a little confused that you have a 10,500 lbs tow bar to presumably tow a vehicle weighing less than 3,000 lbs. Could you enlighten us as to what vehicle you actually tow?
Old 12-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #35

Quote:
That picture shows a dolly w a hydraulic surge braking system. Its integral to the dolly itself and the hydraulic brake fluid chamber is built into the tongue of the trailer.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #36

Www.redtrailers.com

"Rental trailers, like those from U-Haul, rely on surge brakes because they don't require a brake control and related wiring from the tow vehicle. This makes renting and hooking up the trailer easier and cheaper. "
Old 12-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #37

Supplementary and break-away braking systems is always a hot topic. Some go so far as believing they are legal if their state doesn't specifically include vehicles being pulled with all wheels down in their state's tow laws. If not specifically singled out, your 4 down tow is simple a trailer.

I could care less if someone has supplementary brakes on their tow. if they need them due to the extra weight, they will be part of the accident that may occur.

I do care whether there's a break-away system. A 4,000+ pound car free wheeling down the road is so very dangerous. Of course, if you have a break-away system you also have a supplemental braking system, as break-away systems leverage the supplemental braking system. Everyone has spent quite a bit to own their RVs, a supplemental braking system with break-away capability should be factored into the entry cost of RV ownership for those that tow.

Check your state's law on the requirement for break-away braking, you might be surprised.

Obviously this is my opinion, except any reference to law. Your opinion may differ,
Old 12-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutAround View Post
That picture shows a dolly w a hydraulic surge braking system.
No....it.....doesn't.

This one does: http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=AT

But this one doesn't: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...Fahj7AodqmIA-g

...or this one on the RM3477: http://roadmasterinc.com/products/to...Mastertowdolly

....or this one: http://www.mastertow.com/tow_dollies.html

...or this one: http://www.carsontrailer.com/subs/to...tow-dolly.html

...or either option from Penske or Budget: http://www.pensketruckrental.com/sup...ing-equipment/ https://www.budgettruck.com/moving-equipment.aspx

But, I digress....
Old 12-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I apologize for my badly worded comment. I meant to say that, unlike my friend, you know there is a law and whether you would be breaking it when not using a supplement braking system in the toad.
I think your original comment was a little misleading as I read it to mean anyone could make a personal decision to not use a braking system.
I am also a little confused that you have a 10,500 lbs tow bar to presumably tow a vehicle weighing less than 3,000 lbs. Could you enlighten us as to what vehicle you actually tow?
No worries, but I was clear that it was my personal decision not to purchase one now.

My dinghy is an '04 Jeep Liberty: GVWR of approximately 5400lbs. I bought the Excali-Bar vs. the lighter rated Commander for reasons I said the first time: that capacity rating allows me to tow any vehicle I own....even up to a 3/4 ton diesel truck if I wanted.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #40

Quote:
No....it.....doesn't.
Here's another pic of same dolly different angle...w surge brakes. Perhaps you are confusing surge brakes w electric brakes?
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
KCsails, all of the tow systems are adequate for the job. As for the supplemental braking, the state laws are part of the decision. However, there is a very important and for me an over riding issue is that you will stop faster if the toad has brakes. PM me if you need more discussion. I am a technical person with a long career in vehicle systems.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #42

Quote:
No worries, but I was clear that it was my personal decision not to purchase one now.

My dinghy is an '04 Jeep Liberty: GVWR of approximately 5400lbs. I bought the Excali-Bar vs. the lighter rated Commander for reasons I said the first time: that capacity rating allows me to tow any vehicle I own....even up to a 3/4 ton diesel truck if I wanted.
So what States are you able to tow that legally without a supplemental braking system?

Closed Thread

Tags
advice, towing