Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutAround View Post
Here's another pic of same dolly different angle...w surge brakes. Perhaps you are confusing surge brakes w electric brakes?
Different dolly. Not saying they don't have dolly's w/brakes (surge, electric or othewise) but I am saying that they most certainly DO rent some that have none.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Snerd View Post
Different dolly. Not saying they don't have dolly's w/brakes (surge, electric or othewise) but I am saying that they most certainly DO rent some that have none.
...we have both hijacked this thread....my apologies to the original poster Ok. I tap out on this one. I've grown bored to be honest. I'll buy you a beer if we ever bump into each other. . Merry Christmas
Old 12-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
So what States are you able to tow that legally without a supplemental braking system?
With a dolly? All of 'em...
Old 12-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
Herman.. I think Algoma was referring to towing 4-down as you are doing with your Jeep and you mentioned you didn't have a supplemental braking system and was legal in all states that you drive in.

So I too, am wondering exactly what states you can legally tow a 5400 lb vehicle with no supplemental (or breakaway) braking system?
Old 12-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Herman.. I think Algoma was referring to towing 4-down as you are doing with your Jeep and you mentioned you didn't have a supplemental braking system and was legal in all states that you drive in.

So I too, am wondering exactly what states you can legally tow a 5400 lb vehicle with no supplemental (or breakaway) braking system?
I never said it was legal to tow 4-down in all 50 states and I object to your accusation that I said as much. Your failure to accurately read what I wrote isn't my fault.

All I ever said was that it was my personal decision not to have currently purchased a supplemental braking system (I've never addressed a break-away system) and offered reasoning to show why it's illogical to require them when they're not required to legally tow with a system that has MORE potential failure points and MORE weight: i.e. a tow dolly.

As to where it's strictly legal to tow 4-down w/o a braking system (and it is in certain locales) I'll offer this: I've done my research.....have you?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Snerd

I never said it was legal to tow 4-down in all 50 states and I object to your accusation that I said as much. Your failure to accurately read what I wrote isn't my fault.

All I ever said was that it was my personal decision not to have currently purchased a supplemental braking system (I've never addressed a break-away system) and offered reasoning to show why it's illogical to require them when they're not required to legally tow with a system that has MORE potential failure points and MORE weight: i.e. a tow dolly.

As to where it's strictly legal to tow 4-down w/o a braking system (and it is in certain locales) I'll offer this: I've done my research.....have you?
When you discuss supplemental braking you are simultaneously discussing a breakaway system. While I do not know the specifics of every breaking system available - I believe a breakaway system is part and parcel of all of them. Could be wrong. Whether legal or not - required for your stopping or not - the breakaway system is without a doubt a very good thing. Yes - bad things could still happen, but knowing that I have taken all steps to stop my 5,000 lb brick from meeting an immovable object (possibly other people) it is worth the expense to me. You may of course do as you please as we all do. We all like to spend our money wisely. So keep yours in your wallet and we all hope lightening doesn't strike. If it does, you may have to open your wallet then, or perhaps not.

If you have found a single source of state towing laws including weight requirements for supplemental breaking can you post the link? Lichtenstein has the 2010 American Auto Assn list on their site but the laws seem pretty varied and suggests to me that it's worth the expense of a braking system to not have to refer to it - let alone dig deeper into 50 states actual laws. Of course if you don't travel to many states that may work for you.

Stay safe.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lets just face it, some people are just too cheap to buy a supplemental brake system and will use all of the argument points to justify it. It is true that there is no uniformity between state law on the issue. However, there is still plenty of justification to have one. The one that I think is most important is that you will be able to stop in a shorter distance which I have taken advantage of twice and the system paid for itself both times.

The end of discussion for you do not gain anything from arguing.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #50

Damon Owners Club
Without a brake system, you will be illegal in all 50 states since
you do not have a break away system to stop the towed vehicle.
Plus you expose yourself to additional liability in the event
of an accident. IMHO.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #51

I believe it states in owners manuals of all motorhomes requirements for additional braking when towing. I would think that trumps personal preferences and state laws, when it comes liability and safety issues.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearaboo View Post
I believe it states in owners manuals of all motorhomes requirements for additional braking when towing. I would think that trumps personal preferences and state laws, when it comes liability and safety issues.
I agree.

I am continually amazed that this is even a question in so many posts.

Isn't stopping in about 30% less distance reason enough?

For that reason alone, when folks pulled out in front of me, I have saved 3 deducibles and at least one life so far. I'm ahead on cost by a bunch. I'm ahead on safety by a ton!

I tire of reading the excuses. I prefer being far ahead of the laws of physics.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 12-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
When you discuss supplemental braking you are simultaneously discussing a breakaway system. While I do not know the specifics of every breaking system available - I believe a breakaway system is part and parcel of all of them. Could be wrong. Whether legal or not - required for your stopping or not - the breakaway system is without a doubt a very good thing. Yes - bad things could still happen, but knowing that I have taken all steps to stop my 5,000 lb brick from meeting an immovable object (possibly other people) it is worth the expense to me. You may of course do as you please as we all do. We all like to spend our money wisely. So keep yours in your wallet and we all hope lightening doesn't strike. If it does, you may have to open your wallet then, or perhaps not.

If you have found a single source of state towing laws including weight requirements for supplemental breaking can you post the link? Lichtenstein has the 2010 American Auto Assn list on their site but the laws seem pretty varied and suggests to me that it's worth the expense of a braking system to not have to refer to it - let alone dig deeper into 50 states actual laws. Of course if you don't travel to many states that may work for you.

Stay safe.
I would sincerely disagree that supplemental braking systems and breakaway systems are interchangeable. They are not by necessity or law....we can argue their "moral necessity" all you want but it won't change that fact.

No, I've found no "one stop shop" for state-by-state towing laws that I've found I could rely upon....that's why I check the state websites and/or dps offices individually.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
Lets just face it, some people are just too cheap to buy a supplemental brake system and will use all of the argument points to justify it. It is true that there is no uniformity between state law on the issue. However, there is still plenty of justification to have one. The one that I think is most important is that you will be able to stop in a shorter distance which I have taken advantage of twice and the system paid for itself both times.

The end of discussion for you do not gain anything from arguing.
Who's arguing??

Nevertheless, please allow me to counter by asking one simple question: do you ever routinely exceed the speed limit on any public road?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
Without a brake system, you will be illegal in all 50 states since
you do not have a break away system to stop the towed vehicle.
Plus you expose yourself to additional liability in the event
of an accident. IMHO.
Neither of those statement are demonstratively true. Research the state-by-state traffic laws and discover for yourself...
Old 12-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Snerd View Post
Who's arguing?? Nevertheless, please allow me to counter by asking one simple question: do you ever routinely exceed the speed limit on any public road?
No. I dont. I suspect you might.

I am continually amazed that this is even a question in so many posts.

Isn't stopping in about 30% less distance reason enough?

For that reason alone, when folks pulled out in front of me, I have saved 3 deducibles and at least one life so far. I'm ahead on cost by a bunch. I'm ahead on safety by a ton!

I tire of reading the excuses. I prefer being far ahead of the laws of physics.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, towing