Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #1

Need advice on 4 wheel down towing

Just purchased a 2013 Ford Edge on Saturday, and I want to tow it 4 wheels down. This weighs 5200 Lbs versus the 2800 Lbs Smart I've been towing with our 2002 Monaco Windsor (350 Cummins).
Can anyone who has been towing a Ford Edge, advise what tow bar and brake system they have been using? Why did they pick it, approx. cost, and would they purchase again?
Would appreciate all advice, as I plan to shop at the Tampa RV super show in January.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSAILS View Post
Just purchased a 2013 Ford Edge on Saturday, and I want to tow it 4 wheels down. This weighs 5200 Lbs versus the 2800 Lbs Smart I've been towing with our 2002 Monaco Windsor (350 Cummins).
Can anyone who has been towing a Ford Edge, advise what tow bar and brake system they have been using? Why did they pick it, approx. cost, and would they purchase again?
Would appreciate all advice, as I plan to shop at the Tampa RV super show in January.
KC, you'll probably receive as many opinions as there are toads behind motor home, but with the weight that you are going to pull, you will need a 10K tow bar.

I selected the Blue Ox base plate and SMI AF1 braking only after talking to the local dealers in the Tampa area and ended up at the Hitching Post in Ocala because they gave me the best comparison on each manufacturer and the best price for the complete installation.

Not saying to buy Blue Ox, just advise to call one place that carries all of them.

Good luck

Old 12-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #3

Blue Ox is the only way to go. We tow a 2013 Cmax Energi and its 4,900 lbs. The Blue Ox is invisible. I recommend the "Stay n Play" built in brake controller. Its worth the grand they charge for it IMO.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Kc

Just a thought. The edge 2.0L ECO Boost I-4 cannot be towed 4 down.

The V-6 can. IAW FMCA Towing guide.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 12-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #5

Although you can use a 10,000 pound tow bar, a 6,000 pound rated tow bar is more than adequate. Roadmaster, and I'm sure the others, manufacture their product to tow more than what they are rated for, but only guarantee their use up to the rated weight.

I tow a 2012 Ford Explorer with the Roadmaster All Terrain tow bar ratyed for 6,000 pounds.

I picked Roadmaster as I liked the way their baseplates mounts and I like the horizontal bar they use on their tow bar base plate mounts. It should help transfer side to side stresses to both base plates and therefore the left and right vehicle frame attachments.

I use Air Force One brake controller. It requires your coach to have air brakes. I've used this on this vehicle and my last any wouldn't use anything else.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #6

Quote:
KCSAILS,
I have a question for you. And this is just for my own satisfaction so, it's no big deal. You state that the toad you used to pull was a "Smart". I'm assuming that is a "Smart for two" car. That little thing. Correct? And if so, you state that it weighs 2800 lbs. correct? I was under the impression they were considerably lower than that. So, I cruised on over to the Dinghy Towing Guide and looked them up there. Now, the info in that guide states that a Smart has a base curb weight of 1800 lbs.

Now, I always tell folks not to believe what the guide states for weight for a particular vehicle/toad. I always suggest they go and get their toad weighed for a way more accurate knowledge base for getting set up for towing. And, I know its (the guides) information is off some because I've proved it, TWICE, but, a thousand pounds?

Any way, again, I'm just wondering.
Scott
Old 12-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The FMCA guide for 2013 has the Edge AWD at approx 4234 curb weight and the FWD at 4056. Approx values.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 12-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
You are about a 1,000 lbs off on the weight
Old 12-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #9

He is most likely quoting GVWR of both cars, and not the curb weight.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Although I don't tow a 2013 Ford Edge, I do tow a 2013 Ford F150 4x4. I use a Ready Brute Elite with Ready Brake coupled with Blue Ox mounting plates on the truck. Simple hook and unhook, no fuss and overall cheaper than most set ups. Here is a link to a recent thread about what others have said about the Ready Brute.

ReadyBrute Elite

This is a picture of my set up. I really like it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	52245  
Old 12-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
LOL I for one do not tow with passengers in the car so I would go with base curb weight like the Dinghy Guide does.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #12

I always look at the GVWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
It's amazing how much we can pack into a car occasionally, when leaving on a trip, and with the large cargo space of the Edge, we may reach GVWR occasionally
Old 12-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #13

Quote:
It's amazing how much we can pack into a car occasionally, when leaving on a trip, and with the large cargo space of the Edge, we may reach GVWR occasionally
Agreed, I would definitely purchase a system based on GVWR if it were me. Might as well use the car as storage.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #14

Quote:
After much personal "gnashing of teeth" over the exact same issue recently, I went with the Demco Excali-bar II and Demco baseplate. Ultimately it came down to two issues for me: value and safety.

Value: The price we paid was much less than any other brand for an equal capacity bar. (We bought through PPL out of Houston...HIGHLY recommend them!!!) The Excali-Bar is rated to 10,500lbs which is more than enough for any of the vehicles we own, so we can use it interchangeably. It also came with safety cables, keyed-alike locking pins, and a cover....most others don't come w/anything but the bar! It also comes standard with an adjustible head which makes it very easy to match the baseplate level. Buying a custom drop-hitch to accommodate another brand would add a bunch more to the overall cost.

Safety: I felt the design of the Demco baseplate was far superior to the others. It's a solid, one-piece design that has 6 mounting points (to the towed vehicle) vs. most others that were multi-part designs w/usually only 4 mounting points. Spreads the loads evenly across the toads frame. Additionally, I really liked that the tabs where you attach the bar were solidly intergrated into the baseplate and NOT detachable. The way I figure it, it's just one less "point of possible failure" to have to worry about!

I didn't buy a braking system....personal choice.

I hope this helps. I know that Blue Ox is kinda the "champ" in this arena, but I think Demco has FAR superior overall product solutions for the price.

Tags
advice, towing