Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #1

Need advice on a toad

Just purchased a 2002 "Holiday Rambler, Endeavor" I know, I know, everyone I have spoken to "AFTER" the purchase has said I made a mistake. BUT, We are looking for advice on a vehicle to be towed behind the coach. Is the car dolly the way to go? I have been told by the seller that not all states allow Car Dollies. ( he is trying to sell his "In the box, Blue Ox tow Bar for $350.00) Is that a fact or should I just go with a car dolly and a reliable vehicle behind? Suggestions on a decent vehicle to be towed behind with a tow bar or car dolly. Respectfully, Jersey dave
pdidonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy Dave and welcome to the forum. Congrats on the HR. I think most of us prefer towing 4-down with no dolly, though there are plenty of people who like a dolly. What type of vehicle are you thinking of towing? That will make a difference in how it's towed.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I looked at both options and went with (and am hapy with) the tow dolly because you can tow any front wheel drive car you have. The dolly seems to kkeep the car high enough that I haven't had any road damage (stone chips) to the car in over 3,000 miles of towing.
The minus side - you now have 2 more tires. That makes six on the RV plus a spare,
4 on the toad and a spare and 2 on the dolly and a spare. Moving and storing the dolly hasn't been a problem (2 years).

4 down is very nice if you have a single (towable) car or jeep to set-up.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tried the dolly method first. It only took a couple of trips to change my mind. My original intent was to be able to tow any of our 3 vehicles but it didn't work out that way. The SUV is rear wheel drive. the Monte Carlo front fairing was too close to the ground(dragged when loading) and the rear drive shaft on the Wrangler had to be disconnected. We decided the Jeep would be the vehicle of choice. Got a Stowmaster 5000, base plates and a BrakeBuddy and have been happy ever since. IMHO 4 down is the only way to go.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #5

Thanks for all of your thoughts. Some one told me that car dolly's are illegal in some states? Also any recommendation on a vehicle to be towed behind the coach. In the winter we need 4 wheel drive because of the snow and terrain. Lastly is there a forum for people like myself that have a Holiday Rambler? It is old 202 but it works. Thanks!
pdidonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Four down is the best way to go. Since you asked the question about what you can tow 4 down and no one answered, there are multiple vehicles from Ford, GM, Chrysler, and Honda that can all be towed 4 down. Check your motorhome documentation for your towing limits as this will help determine the size of car/truck you can tow. Check the Demco or FMCA towing guides for some help on which ones can be towed (and please note, sometimes these guides are wrong).

You will need a base plate installed on the car and the brake lights wired to operate with the motorhome's lights. You will also need a tow bar and a supplemental braking system.

We all have our favorites and you are likely to get enough opinions to confuse you completely. I went with Blue Ox for my base plate and tow bar, TowDaddy for my light wiring, and RVi brake for my braking system. Total cost was around $2500 and I did all of the installs. You could probably add $500-$1000 to that for labor if you have someone else do the base plate and lights.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #7

I have never heard of tow dollies being illegal in any of the 48 states nor have I read it in the Motorhome Mag. This would be news if it is true any where. I heard that some states require Class B licenses but then I heard the real story that the rule only applies to people who are resident in the state. I have my wife's GMC Terrain fixed up to tow as a 4 down toad with a invisbrake wired into the motorhome so our hook up and disconnects are simple but like all we are limited to 65 MPH max while towing. However we never drive more than 60 MPH and try to stay below for gas savings, it is only 7 MPG but don't want to get less.

Mike S.
2005 SunVoyager
Blue Ox Toad, Invisbreak
2012 GMC Terrain
J79Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The most popular 4 down vehicles seem to be a Honda CR-V, Chevy HHR, Jeep Wrangler.

The tow bar deal sounds good and Blue Ox is quality equipment but you will require a base plate as well. Call Blue Ox they are very helpful, ask them or look on theri website for how much things cost "in the box $350." without knowing anything else seems good.

The Honda is very hard to beat for practicality, resale, consumer reports, safety, durability, frequency of repair etc. It is a perrenial "best nuy" from consumers reports. It has on demand 4 wheel drive, basically a two wheel drive until the front wheels slip then the rear wheels activate. I have driven mine in the snow and it is sure footed.

The Jeep Wrangler meets your four wheel requirement about the best that it can be met. It would depend on whether on the whole it is practical enough for you in other ways. If you have a small family and want to haul stuff around it may not be as practical as you would like. But it has a cult following for a reason, if you are adventurersome and want to off road it is the real deal. Also it probably is the easiest and cheapest to set up for 4 down towing.

IF you are budget minded or constrained and you want new equipment look at the Readybrake surge systems. You can get an all in one hitch and braking system that does not require electricity for braking. Seems easy and practical to me. If I had to do it over I would favor looking at this system.

Make sure you determine the 4 down towability by checking the manual for the vehicle and do not assume or take someones word for towability or for laws about towing.

Brakes are good plan on braking that tow.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdidonato View Post
Thanks for all of your thoughts. Some one told me that car dolly's are illegal in some states? Also any recommendation on a vehicle to be towed behind the coach. In the winter we need 4 wheel drive because of the snow and terrain. Lastly is there a forum for people like myself that have a Holiday Rambler? It is old 202 but it works. Thanks!
I am not sure you can put a four wheel drive on a dolly....it would either have to be on a trailer or four down. Someone can jump in here and correct me if I am wrong.
For a four wheel drive the Jeep is the most popular for towing behind a motorhome. Usually four down, but I have seen some modified Jeeps on a trailer.
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Just purchased a 2002 "Holiday Rambler, Endeavor" I know, I know, everyone I have spoken to "AFTER" the purchase has said I made a mistake. BUT, We are looking for advice on a vehicle to be towed behind the coach. Is the car dolly the way to go? I have been told by the seller that not all states allow Car Dollies. ( he is trying to sell his "In the box, Blue Ox tow Bar for $350.00) Is that a fact or should I just go with a car dolly and a reliable vehicle behind? Suggestions on a decent vehicle to be towed behind with a tow bar or car dolly. Respectfully, Jersey dave
Some opine that dolly/car combo consists of "triple" tow which isn't allowed in some states. Best to research b/4 buying IMHO.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #11

Quote:
We tow a Jeep Liberty 4 down and it works great. Almost don't know it's there. Also that price doesn't sound bad for the Blue Ox.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
+ and - to both. We started with a diolly, went 4-down and now if I went back to a motorhome, I'd get a dolly. Too much trouble to set a car up for 4-down and you are limited to which cars can be towed 4-down as-is or with modifications. If you trade cars, you have to set it up with a braking system and a braking system.

With the dolly, get one with brakes and you can tow prety much any front wheel drive car. Also as noted there seems to be less issue with stone chips to on on a dolly.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
My vote is for a Wrangler 4 down, of course I'm a little prejudiced since that's what I tow. Wrangler's are a lot of fun plus they're light. My 2004 weighs about 3300lbs and , as stated before, you hardly know it's back there. Less weight = more MPG. Transfer case in neutral, transmission in 5th gear. Key to first notch unlocks the steering wheel and doesn' turn power on. As for as an 02, don't worry about that. You can have just as much fun in it as you could a 2013. Ours is a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer and we are perfectly happy.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #14

I have a Wrangler. Small and light-ish weight (compared for full-sized SUVs). Never let me down, go-anywhere 4x4...bulletproof, can be towed 4 down, and the roof will even come off! It's decent enough on fuel too. And best of all, it has held its value well.

And when you have a Jeep Wrangler, you get waves from other Wranglers owners....it's almost like a community.

p.s- My wrangler has like a quarter million miles and still looks/works great! I've owned everything else out there, but I like the Wrangler...it's as American as apple-pie, and although small, it's still a good "man's truck" haha.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad