Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2005, 01:35 PM   #1

I want to tow my wifes Rav 4 2 wheel drive standard. What would you experts recomend for a set up that won't put me in the poor house? And will I need brakes on this light of a toad? Thanks. Scotty.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2005, 01:35 PM   #2

I want to tow my wifes Rav 4 2 wheel drive standard. What would you experts recomend for a set up that won't put me in the poor house? And will I need brakes on this light of a toad? Thanks. Scotty.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:32 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Scotty, first of all thanks for spelling advice correctly. How many times have you read, "Need advise". Sorta like nails on a chalkboard for me.
That being said, look closely at the owners manual for the Rav 4. I am not sure it will tow 4 down. I talked to the folks at local Toyota dealer that I deliver for and they said not to do it. However I was asking about a 4wd automatic.
If I can remember to ask, I'll chk on the 2wd manual tranny and find out.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:39 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tow a 2WD standard tranny Rav4, and here is my set uo. I had a Demco base plate installed for $250. I use a Blue Ox Ambassador
A frame tow bar that cost $140.and a set of safety cables. I also have a Brake Buddy brake system that cost $835. complete.I could not putb together a more simpler system than what I have. If you have any more questions feel free to email me ...BTW I verified the ability to tow the RAV4 4 down with TOYOTA and they confirmed it verbally and in writing that the 2wd standard can be towed 4 down without any mods or restrictions..

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 05:37 AM   #5

You need to call REMCO they are the experts on towing. Also what year is your RAV 4. Remcos wed site says from 2000-2004 AWD and FWD needs a Lube Pump.
IrishBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:31 PM   #6

Thanks all, 2001 Rav two wheel drive. I priced some stuff locally and got sticker shock! I will check into REMCO and with cpt.Bud.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:47 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

A two wheel drive, standard shift RAV4 can be towed. How much you spend on the towbar depends mostly on how much convenience you are willing to pay for. The base plates that attach to the car frame aren't real expensive and you can get an "A" frame hitch that connects to a ball mount for a couple hundred bucks. And there are usually used ones around for about $100, cause people upgrade to the more convenient motorhome mounted, folding hitches like the Roadmaster Falcon or Blue Ox Alladin (for many $$ more).

But you really should have a tow brake, for the safety of your familky and everyone else on the road. Besides, I'll bet your ForuWinds requires auxiliary braking on anything it tows over about 1500 lbs. Check your chassis manual.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:16 PM   #8

Good news I got a Ox set up including bike rack from a friend who sold his C and bought a fiver. Bad news by the time I get a base plate installed and everything wired and plumbed gas will be $4.00 a gal. Geez.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:55 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Gary on the auxiliary brake system, FXRSScotty. I am a new owner of a 39' DP and tried towing my Jeep Liberty (4,160#) on a couple of test trips to see if I felt it was necessary, and came to the conclusion that it was, particularly in sudden stops where I felt marginal compared to the rig alone. I think with your rig, you'll find real piece of mind (and comply with the laws in most states) with one. After researching many posts on this, and the Winnie owner's forum regarding the various systems available, I just purchased a Brake Buddy which lists on the mfgrs site at over $1100 for $839 from PPL and look forward to our first trip with better piece of mind.

Good luck and happy trails

& Raleigh the Cavalier Wonder Dog Navigator
JanBCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:20 PM   #10

Thanks J.B., I will also take a test tow when I am all set up and try some hard braking etc. and see how it feels. I have some long streches of highway I can play on with out much traffic at night. Scotty.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:05 AM   #11

Brake Buddy's starting about $400.00
Tow bars starting about $100.00
Both on e-bay, both "starting" prices but good place to start checking for towing items. Have even seen the mounting plates for the vehicles on there starting very reasonable and selling very reasonable also. Ebay is always a good place to check for items.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:41 PM   #12

Thanks mindcandies, that is where I started looking. I started looking at car dolly's but changed my mind when thinking about what to do with it when I get to destination. Scotty.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:01 AM   #13

I have the US Gear Unified Braking System. The installation in the toad is up out of the way. You can't even see it.

There is a control and alarm in the MH cab. I can increase or decrease the amount of braking on the toad that occurs when I brake the MH. I can feel the difference when I push on the brake, much faster stopping. I feel safer.

David/zetron
zetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 06:07 PM   #14

Zetron that sounds like an E-brake set up? Where purchased and how much $. scotty.