Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
Need advice on tow dolly

I am a "newbe" but have hauled a 10' trailer in the past. I'll be traveling with a Jayco 23' Eagle with new brakes. I will be towing my Prius which has a GVWR of just under 4000lbs and a curb weight of 3042lbs. My tow hitch is rated for 5000lbs. I will be doing a lot of hills and mountains over many months. I intend to buy a new tow dolly and need advice on whether I should buy it equipped with brakes or without. The dealer seemed to think that with the combo I shouldn't need brakes. But the dealer and I are on the flatlands of South Jersey. I would appreciate all comments. Thanks

dbwesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #2

You need to add the weight of dolly. Most weigh about 500lbs. You should have brakes. For your safety and others.

2004 Endura 6340D
2012 Chevy Captiva toad
ronjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Brakes? yes.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
Evergreen Owners Club
I have a ACME TOW dolly and it has surge disc brake's and work's great
Mike , Fre & daughter Kimberly , 2 dog's name Marly & Zorra , 2014 Palazzo 33.3 , Jetta TDI & Acme tow dolly ,Goodsams, Koa , Still learning
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
I would do a drive shaft disconnect and

tow 4 wheels down. Call Randy at Drive Shaft King in Dallas,TX. I did this to my 5000 lb Ford Expedition and it works great. You then don't have to worry about storing the dolly at camp site.
ranbev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:22 PM   #6
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure you can do a drive shaft disconnect on a Prius. However do get brakes. Some states require them on a dolly. We have a Kemco DarKaddy III that we use to tow a 2012 VW Jedda Diesel. It works great. You can get a good price on one at PPL Motor homes in Texas. They will drop ship it to your home if you want.

The Kar Kaddy 3
Retired FAA ATC, VFW, LEGION, NRA (Life Member)
2002 Journey D L 36, 2013 Demco KarKaddy III,
Toad 2012 VW Passat Diesel
Lost little Bitzy New kitty named Oreo.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:47 AM   #7
Thanks all that replied. This was in today's RV Newsletter

RV Daily Tips Issue 302. January 21, 2014 | RV Travel
dbwesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Jayco Eagle is a Travel Trailer...but anyway, guess you are gonna towing a Prius with a Class C RV.

Brakes are a VERY good idea, BUT are not required in many states that use a "combination vehicle" formula - "vehicle must stop in XX feet from a speed of XX MPH." Check with you local authorities.

IMHO a dolly is the best way to go for your car. No mods to the car, safe, strong, inexpensive, and easy to use. Towing the Prius flat will put miles on the lower driveline - even if it was able to be towed flat...which I don't think it is.

There are many very good dolly's - from the lightweight Acme EZE-Tow to the very strong and heavy Demco KarKaddy. Get one you like. Get one with brakes.

Here's a hint...try renting a U-Haul dolly for your first outing. They are cheap for a local return and will give you an idea about what dolly towing with your RV and car is like. Make an educated decision from that.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
Brakes for sure, you won't be sorry.
milasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
I have a Master Tow with electric brakes. It's been dependable and reliable. I have the larger model but you can get away with the smaller 77T with your Prius.
Here's more info: MASTER TOW INC. :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
Roadmaster 2000-1, had mine since 2005 no problems. Towed large Buick, full size truck and now a Corolla. One of the best tow dolly out there.
milasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #12
Originally Posted by dbwesq View Post
I will be doing a lot of hills and mountains over many months.
Are you going to be on the move constantly or tending to stay in one place for longer periods? If the later and you have a driving-age companion you might consider having them simply follow you. Fuel cost on a Prius (especially factoring in mileage loss on the tow vehicle) will probably be less than any kind of towing setup. Just a suggestion, it works well for some people but not for others, depending on circumstances.

smiller is online now   Reply With Quote

advice, dolly, tow dolly