Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If cost is a concern, consider the Ready Brake system, inexpensive, well engineered and a major contributor to the KISS principle. No need to spend big bucks on electronics that ultimately fail. You'll sleep better at night.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Never leave home without it. Just from a liability point of view, have an accident and even a bad lawyer would take you to the cleaners.
Moe

Old 11-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
If cost is a concern, consider the Ready Brake system, inexpensive, well engineered and a major contributor to the KISS principle. No need to spend big bucks on electronics that ultimately fail. You'll sleep better at night.
Cost is indeed an issue for me, and I don't think ReadyBrake will work with a toad with power brakes, would it?

Regarding legality, there is a big misconception that's it's a legal requirement. In most states you can tow a toad without brakes if it's less than 3000 lbs, however there are a couple of exceptions such as Nevada & Alaska where it's 1500. In most states you just have to be able to stop within 50 feet from 20 MPH. I may have to do some with-toad and without-toad stopping experiments of my own...
Old 11-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Cost is indeed an issue for me, and I don't think ReadyBrake will work with a toad with power brakes, would it?

Regarding legality, there is a big misconception that's it's a legal requirement. In most states you can tow a toad without brakes if it's less than 3000 lbs, however there are a couple of exceptions such as Nevada & Alaska where it's 1500. In most states you just have to be able to stop within 50 feet from 20 MPH. I may have to do some with-toad and without-toad stopping experiments of my own...

Never mind the legal issues. Look at the Ford manual. It says either 1000# or 1500# for an unbraked towed load.

The power brakes on the dinghy only work if the engine is running and keeping a vacuum on the system to operate. When you hook up a dinghy brake system, you are to pump the brake pedal several times until it gets firm. This bleeds off the vacuum so you no longer have power brakes.

What is scary about the state laws and people trying to get around the definition od a trailer or a towed load is the lack of under standing of basic physics. You are pulling more weight and it requires more braking force to stop and this includes more tires on the road.

If the dingy brakes manage to stop you 6" shorter that can well be the difference between a safe stop and an accident.

Also, the motorhome manufacturers have yet to design a system for the motorhome that can determine if the 3000# it is towing is a utility trailer loaded with rocks or is it a 3000# auto on 4 wheels.

The fact is 3000# more weight to stop safely. Another fact is if you run into me and I find you are overloaded or do not have dinghy brakes, I will get the meanest lawyer I can find and turn him loose on you are anyone else that hits me.

Ken
Old 11-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Timbo, the ReadyBrute Elite DOES work with vehicles with power brakes, works very well infact. Our Captiva has power brakes, infact right now I can't think of any vehicles made in the last 25 years or more that don't have power brakes. Interesting thought, does anyone reading these posts know of or own a modern vehicle that's without power brakes?
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #20

How does the ReadyBrake work with power brakes and no engine running? Does it just put so much force on the pedal that it is able to overcome the lack of power?
Old 11-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, that is correct. Look at the NSA website for complete information on the ReadyBrute Elite tow bar and surge brake. Your questions will most likely all be answered there.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Never mind the legal issues. Look at the Ford manual. It says either 1000# or 1500# for an unbraked towed load.
That's a recommendation, not a legal requirement. And most toad owners manuals say the vehicle cannot be towed, yet we do it anyway. Why? Because we look at the toad and the transmission issues, etc, and make a decision that we'll tow it anyway, usually in "violation" of the toad's owners manual. Does that make us unsafe and irresponsible? I don't think so.

Quote:
What is scary about the state laws and people trying to get around the definition od a trailer or a towed load is the lack of under standing of basic physics. You are pulling more weight and it requires more braking force to stop and this includes more tires on the road.

If the dingy brakes manage to stop you 6" shorter that can well be the difference between a safe stop and an accident.
I'm not trying to "get around" the definition of a trailer, and I understand the physics. I'm just trying to stay legal. And from my research, in almost all states it is perfectly legal to tow a car under 3000 lbs without brakes. Why is it so unreasonable to consider towing a car that I can't even tell is back there, that stops quite well, and is completely legal?

Quote:
The fact is 3000# more weight to stop safely. Another fact is if you run into me and I find you are overloaded or do not have dinghy brakes, I will get the meanest lawyer I can find and turn him loose on you are anyone else that hits me.
Threatening to sue someone (in advance) who rear-ended you with a legal rig just because they didn't add an extra safety system that you believe strongly in does not seem completely rational to me.

At the end of the day, we all have to make our own choices. Mine might be to go ahead with the toad brakes, or it might not. Despite my statements here, I must admit that you, and others, make a good case for the brakes. My point is that it is not so cut and dried as everyone makes it out to be. There are many ways to "stay safe". Although passengers in a MH are legally free to roam about i.e. the bathroom, I frown on it, and keep the kids in seatbelts at the dinette 99% of the time. So I admit that sometimes it is not enough to "stay within the law", and additional care must be taken (like the seatbelts) and maybe this is also one of those cases where some additional care beyond the law is required, and I will definitely give it serious consideration.

Thanks

Tags
brake, brakes, class c, toad