Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
Need car dolly info

What I'd like to know is can you pull a crew cab truck backwards on a car dolly?? It has locking steering. I really don't want to drop the drive shaft or put added mileage on the rear end. As you can tell I'm a newbee on the learn so one more question. Do all dollys have a swivel platform?? I'm guessing that is what I would need. Any info is welcome. Sinbare

sinbare is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
What is the make and model of the truck and is it 4x4. Some Ford trucks the front hubs engage with no vacuum applied. If this is the case, it may not be the best on the transfer case because of the lack of lubrication during towing. I would also check the owners manual under "wrecker towing". There may be some good info there.

jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
Thanks for the reply. Its a 2 wheel drive Chevy Silverado
sinbare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by sinbare View Post
Thanks for the reply. Its a 2 wheel drive Chevy Silverado
I ight be afraid to tow it backwards cause of the large overhang on the rear of the pickup... Could cause some interference when in sharp corners..
Besides.. The rear axle will probably outlive the rest of the pickup by many miles..
Just my .02
Ron Husak
rhusak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
Towing backwards is not recommended for any vehicle. Maybe for short distance at low speed is acceptable.
The steering geometry is designed to be stable when moving forward. Even with the steering locked, it will not want to track straight and will tend to crab.
You may also end up with serious damage to the suspension/steering.
The steering is simply not designed to be stable when going backwards.
Chris, Jo & Dell (Siberian Husky - 110lb of fur and muscle)
2003 Beaver Santiam 40DST - Cummins 330ISC
Closely followed by a 2012 Equinox AWD
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:02 AM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
As chawkins99 said, I also don't think there's any manufacturer that recommends towing backwards (car / truck or dolly manufacturers) although I have seen people do it ...
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
I tow my 2000 single cab Chevy backwards on the dolly all the time. I don't trust the steering lock though. I strap the steering wheel so it cannot move. In the owners manual for the 2000 model, they recommended towing it backwards. I have towed it from Louisiana to Wisconsin twice with no damage to the front end.
This isn't Camping, its Life-Live it!
99 Itasca 37G 6.8L V10
Linda & Wayne
ItascaRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
Short answer is Yes.

Early Tow Dolly's had no swivel platform so they admonished the fact that backwards towing was not possible.

The swivel platform not only made backward towing possible, but it was one of the reasons the platform was added in the first place. However, RV use was not really in the decision of the addition, nor long term use was anticipated, only emergency use to get a non-functional vehicle home or to the shop.

If anticipating long term use in this manner, take into consideration the weight of the front end and maybe take steps of beefing up this area.

By all means, strap the steering wheel into position, relying on the steering wheel self locking can lead to some very unpleasant surprises while towing.

Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 2 cents worth. The crew cab essentially becomes a trailer engine is heavier ,what happens when you load the back end of a trailer. You can get an controllable sway.
narampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
I've towed rear wheel drive cars backward several times. Once across the country with no problem. Almost all cars have locking steering, you just need to insure the front wheels are pointing straight when you lock it. I found it easiest to pull the motor home and dolly along side a straight curb or side walk and then back the car onto the dolly straight.

If the straps are new, stop and check them after a few miles as they will stretch.

Also, you will not be able to back up with this combination.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
Tiffin Owners Club
I stand corrected and GMC does say to tow it's 2WD truck backwards in the owners manual.

However I'm not sure which dolly manufacturer agrees with that. The Demco Kar Kaddy manual says in bold red

michelb is offline   Reply With Quote