Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Spartan Chassis
Need Equinox help

I bought an '11 Equinox this summer and I am getting it ready to tow it to Florida after Christmas. I've installed the baseplate and aux. lights. I use a Brake Buddy, and that's where I need a little help.Since neither of the power outlets in the forward area of the Equinox are "live" when the ignition is off, I would like to install an outlet fed directly from the battery. Also, I need to get the wiring for the breakaway into the cab. Have any of you folks found a good path through the firewall to pass this wiring? I'm a little hesitant to just pick a spot and drill a hole. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Lit

National RV Owners Club
On my 2012 Equinox I removed the cover from the rocker panel on the driverís side, itíll exposes several holes to fish your wires through. Route your wires to the front of your vehicle tying the wire down often and youíll be good to go without drilling any holes. I use a Schumacher Charger/Maintainer to plug in my Brake Buddy, this was the easiest method for me since I was on the road at the time. Iím told the rear plug in the cargo bay is always hot, Iíve never checked this out yet, one of these days I will.

Lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
had a similar problem connecting my 2012 GMC Terrain up for the Brake Buddy. I'm told the Equinox and Terrain are very similar. I was all ready to run new wires and then found the rear cargo 12V plug is always hot, yea. Very easy fix with a 12V extension cord from Radio Shack, $14 and no sweat.
eggman1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for your help everyone. I have checked my rear 12V outlet out and it does stay hot all the time, so I may use that with the extension. I still need to get my breakaway wiring back to the interior though, so thanks for the rocker cover tip.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Kevin, I just did my 2013 Equinox and the rocker panel is the only way to go. Since you are running wires through there anyway I would suggest running a couple more for your brake (fused of course). Coming up through the the rocker panel puts the wires near the drivers seat and handy to plug into your brake. If you install a "toad charger" using the hot wire and ground from your motor home you will have a safe way to keep you toad battery charged. Use a six way plug (seven to six adapter on the MH) and a six pin coiled cord from the MH to the toad. Four for lights and two for "toad charger". You will now have one cable to plug in the lights and charger and a cable for your "brake-away". This will free up the rear 12v plug for other accessories like a 12v cooler, never know when extra cold beer or wine is needed.
Moe