Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2015, 04:15 PM   #1

Need feedback on 2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback s/sl

Hi Folks:

I am considering the purchase of a 2009, manual transmission, Nissan Versa Hatchback S/SL as a vehicle that I will tow behind my 2013 Winnebago Aspect. Weight is roughly 2500 lbs. I read the manual and spoke to asalesperson about whether this could be done. Manual states that can be towed four wheels down, in neutral, and that the vehicle has to be started and idled every 500 miles. Has anyone out there had experience with a vehicle of this type. Also will this rack up towing miles while being towed? I would appreciate any feedback that will help me with my decision on whether to get this vehicle. Thanks for all the help.
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2015, 11:13 AM   #2

I have a friend , who towed his Versa, standard trans, for 3 years of snow-birding. He sold his coach and still drives the Versa, no problems that he's ever mentioned . I'll be seeing him later to day , and I'll ask about the, miles on the odometer.
If the manual states that you tow with the key off; no steering column lock ; then the dash is not active and the miles won't add up.
But, I will double check.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:59 AM   #3

OK, info on my friend's 2000 Versa , manual transmission; by the way he wanted me to sell you his , but balked when I said he'd have to deliver.

Key turned to the first position , column un-locks and no dash operation , so no mileage added to odometer.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:20 PM   #4

We had a manual trans 2014 Versa Note that we towed behind our DP. It worked flawlessly. Since it had push button start, there were no issues with keys, key position, anything.
We used a Blue Ox plate, and Aventa bar, and SMI, and had no problems.
We sold it when we bought our Grand Cherokee to go with the increased towing capacity of our new bus.
I would buy another Note in a second, if tow weight were an issue.
Rob
Old 01-02-2016, 05:08 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
This is an older thread, but seems like an appropriate place to post this. I just finished setting up a new Nissan Versa 2016 Sedan with manual shift as a toad for my sprinter C class Villagio. I installed the blue ox base plate. Install went OK, but the tow pins are 16 inches above the floor not 23 inches like blue ox says for the 2015 model. Frankly, I seriously doubt it is that high on a 2015 model either. I use the RVI brake system, which has been great. I wired the breakaway switch by getting through the firewall in the rubber boot that protects the wiring loom. Nicely cushioned and sealed there. I used the add-a-bulb kit from blue ox for the tail light. Avoids all the diodes and splicing. KISS theory always works best for me. Seems to be some confusion out there as to steering lock. It does lock when off, so tow with key in first position to unlock. 12 volt outlet is hot then so no problem plugging in the RVI.
As someone may find this interesting, while I had the front end apart, I sprayed the shroud with plasti-dip. Sprayed the chrome grille trim with a black plasti-dip. All to help prevent rock chips, and makes my gutless Versa look b...s. We'll see. Supposed to be a removable coating.
If you need any more info on this, let me know.