Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question Need Help

Hello Everyone
This is our first post, . Purchased 2006 challenger 372 love it to death! Would like opinion on towing car with RV. Have seen most that are pulling cars have all 4 wheels on the ground, very few use car dolly. what is the diff? and which is better to use???

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
4-down towing makes hook-up and disconnect VERY easy. Once you are at a campsite and if you need to back-in the RV, your 4-down-car disconnect means you're ready to back up. If you have a dolly, it too must be disconnected before backing your rig. Finally, there is need to store the dolly ... both at home and sometimes in the RV park. No "storage" with a 4-down car.

So the "gotcha" with 4-down towing is can the car's tranny be OK in a 4-down-towing fashion. Check REMCO towing .com as to what your car might need.

Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with Robi. If you have a toad that will go 4 down use a tow bar. I have had both. Laying on my back in the rain to complete the tow dolly hook up was a pain. What you need to study is the lighting hook up, tow car brake system, tow bar mounts etc. Also understand your hitch weight rating and what your M H will safely tow. So much to learn, its like a new hobby.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We, too, have a Challenger 3710 and tow a Jeep Wrangler Sport with 4 wheels down. As stated previously, it is much easier to hook and unhook, plus no need to find a place to store the dolly when not in use. One consideration other than the make and model of "toad", is the weight of the towed vehicle. That is one of the considerations that we had when getting the Jeep - lighter weight than most other SUV's, plus the added benefit of getting to out of the way places and enjoying the off roading experience. One of my friends tows a full-sized GMC Denali behind his Challenger, and I think that it is just too much weight. FMCA and Good Sam both offer towing guides which highlight various makes and models, weights, what special features each vehicle has when getting ready to tow, etc. I found the guide to be very useful when selecting our Jeep for a "toad". Good luck with whatever you choose and enjoy that Challenger!!

Bronk
Old 04-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks

I've found the towing forum and have good idea that we are going with 4 down have a honda civic that (remco?) ithink was the name says my car can be towed Thanks for all the info.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

One of the key things is that you need a car that is capable of 4-down towing. Or can be modified to add that capability.

Most Civics can be towed 4-down, but Honda will not warranty the transmission when towed if it is a 2008 or later.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having a 371, here is a note of caution. The hitch is high (25") above level ground. Most baseplates bring the level tow bar height at about 12" to 15" off the ground. Be careful, using a extended drop hitch ball mount (11" or 13") may cause you to drag the rear on moderate slopes. I had 7" height extenders added to my Demco baseplate and use a short drop hitch ball mount (5") to the receiver. My problem is solved...maybe you can benefit from my issues. Just my two cents...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Actually my 2006 & 2012 Civic manuals say they cannot be towed except in case of emergency and at speeds not to exceed 35 mph. I know there are folks who tow them, but a new transmission is not on my to do list right now.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is the difference between 4-down and dolly or trailer. Well, some folks (For the life of me I can't think why) Think a dolly is simpler.. Trust me, it's not.

Some cars, however, do not give you much of a choice. With the exception of a few cars with either manual transmissions (And not all manuals can be towed 4=down) or manual transfer cases (4WD and again not all qualify) I can not say, absolutly, that a car can be towed 4-down.

Some can.
Some, even automatics, can if they are modified (Remco Towing USA)
Some can not.. Must be towed on a dolly or.

Some you need to have a full trailer.

That said, IF your car can be towed 4-down (Even if it needs mods) then that is, in my book, the best way to tow, Here is why.

Ease of hookup.. Back when I had a towed, and when next I do, I pull up, do not need to be exact. extend the tow bar arms to the matching fitting on the car, pin it, do the same on teh other side, plug in brake controller and lights, hook up break away and safety cables and drive foreward SLOWLY on the motor home to lock the bars. And I'm good to tow.

If I used a dolly then I'd have to do all that JUST TO HOOK UP THE DOLLY save that if I['m off I have to horse the dolly into position. THEN I need to drive the car on (Much more precise than with the tow bar) Strap down the tires, add even more safety cables and so on. Lots more work.

Page 2: Weight, a dolly is about 1,000 pounds, a trailer even more.

Page 3: Where do I put it when I am parked?

(The Blue Ox tow bar I use just folds up and hangs on the back of the house, er, Class A)

Finally.. Whatever method you use to tow.. Make sure you have brakes, On a dolly or trailer those are on the dolly or trailer, If you tow 4-down there are many brake systems that use the car's own brakes to help stop you. Makes a big difference. Some of the better ones are the Ready Brake (Get the Ready Brute tow bar if you use this system) US_Gear Unified Brake decelerator, and the Invisible Brake.

I recommend you avoid the box in the driver's seat systems. Too easy to say "Oh it's only a short tow.. Forget it" and later wish you'd not done that.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:03 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
One of the key things is that you need a car that is capable of 4-down towing. Or can be modified to add that capability.

Most Civics can be towed 4-down, but Honda will not warranty the transmission when towed if it is a 2008 or later.
Not that it matters now as most are out of warranty but since 2005 the only Honda's that are OK to be towed are a few of the '05 Pilots, the Fit and the CR-V. Other than that none are approved by Honda.

Been all through that with the CA AG's office and Honda's legal dept. Then they paid us over $2,200 not to tow our '05 Odyssey. Luckily I got it in writing, on Honda letterhead that the '05 Ody WAS towable four down before we bought it. So when they changed their corporate mind we had legal documentation. Boy was Honda surprised!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Towing a 2003 CR-V with a manual transmission for over 2 years and 12k miles, Blue Ox tow bar and Brake Buddy with absolutely no problems. Easy set up with manual transmission, although should run the engine daily for a few minutes to lube tranny. Automatic works just as well, know several people that tow them without problem.

Would like to go automatic and a little larger. Miss my truck since I went to motorhome and considering GMC Canyon with 4X4 transfer case can be placed in neutral and towing should be as simple as CR-V. Any thoughts, has anyone towed the Canyon/Colorado.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well honda says no , remco yes? I say hang the harley on the back and o'well . So thanks for all the help. Everyone enjoy we are.

But just for HAHAs, it's a 2003 Honda civic auto 4dr dose anyone out there have one that they are pulling 4 down
Old 04-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
TGR

I have a 2003 Honda Accord, and I really wanted to tow it 4 down. Remco said yes, and Honda said no. I asked a friend who was a Honda mechanic, and he said it wasn't with the risk and expense of a new transmission. I bought a Kar Kaddy SS tow dolly, and all is well.

A tow dolly is a little more work to hook and unhook, but isn't to bad. I didn't want a car payment when I have a car I want to keep to give to my daughter in a few years.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ok dolly it is thanks everyone