Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:06 PM   #1

Question Need Help, CRV Toad Battery Problem

We are new to the RV world, have a 2000 31' National Class A & tow a 2003 Honda CRV with a Blue Ox tow system & Brake Buddy. Honda manual says ignition switch to position #1, all other systems off, plus running the transmission through the gears before towing, manual also states that CRV should be good for 8 hours of towing before engaging the transmission again, nothing about battery draw. Towing for short distances of a couple of hours causes no problems. However a tow of 6 to 8 hours results in a dead battery on the toad. Nothing is drawing current except the digital clock & shift position light in the dash. Could it be that the Brake Buddy is pulling all the current? Our dash monitor only shows when the brakes are activated. Brake Buddy settings are 40psi & #2 sensitivity w/breakaway. Any advice will be appriciated.

Bitafun2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2009, 06:27 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bitafun2,
A lot of what is happening depends on the condition of the battery, the CRV and the Brake Buddy. Consider charging the CRV battery as you drive down the road. Go to http://www.lslproducts.com/ . Toad Charge is the product to look at. I made this purchase and it works as advertised.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #3

In July 2003 Honda issued a service bulletin for towing 2002 and 2003 CR-Vs so this is not in your owner's manual.

Honda said to remove the No. 8 (7.5-amp) fuse before towing. You remove the fuse AFTER you run the transmission through the gears and let it idle about 3 minutes. You replace the fuse BEFORE starting and driving the CR-V.

In 2002 and 2003 CR-Vs that fuse is for the Accessory/Radio, but it also powers the Accessories Relays and with the relays powered on it can drain the battery. If your tow is two hours or less there is no need to remove the fuse, but if you are towing longer pull Fuse No. 8.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #4

We tow an '06 CRV and haven't had these issues, but I installed the Toad Charge Gary referred to anyway.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We tow an 06 CR-V and the only thing I really have to be sure of, is the Brake Buddy has released the brake, otherwise I have a battery drained due to tail lights being on. I do not pull any fuses, although the manual states to pull one. Also; I stop every 4 hours to run the engine and put it through the forward gears. Battery is 3 years old. So far, so good

Toad: 2006 Honda CR-V
BRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the Brake Buddy does use some battery power, but it does not seem it should make the battery dead in 6-8 hours of towing IF the battery is in good condition. What is the condition of the battery in the Honda? It could start every day just fine but still be marginal. If it is more than 2 years old, it may be time to replace it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:53 PM   #7

Thanks to All

I may be a new member, but I love this forum already, took my CRV in for it's normal service and asked about the towing service bulletin for 02/03 CRV's and presto, had a copy in my hand (Yep, pull fuse #8)... also requested a battery check, Boooooooo, Checked out on the low end, New battery installed.... Am now checking on the Toad Charge System as was suggested.... will keep you informed, Many THANKS to all for the help...
Old 04-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #8

Hi folks,
Yes, "toad charger" is good but for those guys who wants to save money, I suggest just buy an automotive diode 25A, 12V and an auto reset 15A circuit breaker plus 14GA wire and connect this from your house batt to your toad batt. It will cost you $20 only and it's fun to do it. You have to do wiring anyway when you buy any toad charger in the market and those charger will cost you at least $100.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:24 PM   #9

Hi All,
Just completed a quick 5 day trip to the high desert & it was a little over 6 hours on the road (1 way)... after re-inserting the #8 fuse, our CRV started up immediately. Wow, was that a relief .... Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. Happy Traveling ....
Old 05-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #10

I'm sure you've all noticed the CRV battery is about 1/3 smaller than the average one. That has to have some effect. I have an Element with the same battery and leaving the interior light on 4 hours will cause it not to start although I have no problem towing in acc. position. My BB is set so it only brakes during an emergency which is almost never.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
You might want to read your CRV Manual again just to be sure. My 05 CRV states that when running through the gears prior to departure "make sure you go from Forward to Neutral - Not - Reverse to Neutral" before you tow. I do not know if it will actually cause damage but I am not willing to test it either!

My towing electrical load comes from the coach battery, direct. I also installed separate LED bulbs in the bottom of the taillight lenses for towing only. 30,000 miles behind me on this Coach, 70,000 total, with No problem so far.

One other tip: The back side of the electrical connectors between the Coach and Toad had always been a corrosion problem. Causing intermittent power to the lights. I took them apart, cleaned them up, and filled them with Dow Corning 4, Dielectric, and have not had a problem for over 3 years now. The original setup has No Protection for corrosion!

Flagelpater

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagelpater View Post
~~snip~~

One other tip: The back side of the electrical connectors between the Coach and Toad had always been a corrosion problem. Causing intermittent power to the lights. I took them apart, cleaned them up, and filled them with Dow Corning 4, Dielectric, and have not had a problem for over 3 years now. The original setup has No Protection for corrosion!

Flagelpater
You've been lucky since dielectric grease is an insulator, not a conductor.

Dielectric grease is normally used as a lubricant and a sealant on the non-conductive mating surfaces of spark plug connectors so they can be removed after several years of extreme heat. It is not recommended to be applied to the actual electrical conductive contacts of a connector.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:55 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
At first blush, you are correct. However, after insuring that you have a good electrical connection, the insulator is what is needed. The corrosion causes shorts as well as opens. The dielectric keeps the moisture and air away. I also wrap the outside of the connector boot with shrink tape. Would you have a better solution to keep the corrosion away?

Flagelpater

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:59 AM   #14

Best I've done on a car is to re-wire the plug so it stays in the trunk and when you go to use it drape the wire over the trunk lid and close it.

When out in the weather, I've used common petroleum jelly sparingly on the female plug. Side effect: like any grease, it collects dirt hanging in the salt spray so they have to be cleaned occasionally. The following link shows a special wire brush used to clean the female connector. It's indispensable when you just have to get them clean.
http://www.dan-marc.com/143-01000.html