Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Need Help from MINI TOAD OWNERS!

I just purchased a 2007 MINI Cooper S and had it outfitted to tow. I had read that the MINI would NOT accumulate miles when towing but in the short distance from getting it outfitted to tow to home it looks like it DID turn the odometer. For all MINI TOAD owners did I miss something? Key fob in radio ready position and car in neutral. (Yes, it is a manual). Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave R.
drindone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Here's a link to a few past threads on Mini Coopers that you can look at while waiting for an answer. Yours may be in them.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Mini+...earch=irv2.com

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
It's been about a year since I towed our 2006 mini but I don't think it accumulated miles on the odometer. Mine is the base model not the S model. I leave the key in the on position - I have read you can leave the key in the off position if you have turned it all the way on and back off without removing the key. I have not tried that.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #4

We tow a 2003 Mini Cooper S with a 6 speed manual and towing does not add any mileage to the odometer.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drindone View Post
I just purchased a 2007 MINI Cooper S and had it outfitted to tow. I had read that the MINI would NOT accumulate miles when towing but in the short distance from getting it outfitted to tow to home it looks like it DID turn the odometer. For all MINI TOAD owners did I miss something? Key fob in radio ready position and car in neutral. (Yes, it is a manual). Any info would be appreciated.
Is 2007 the first year of the new style? or the last year of the old style? Ours is a convertible and even though it is a 2008, it is the old style Mini.

I think the new style does not require the key at all to tow.

The old style requires the key in the ignition but it does NOT need to be in any ON position... The key needs to be in to keep the steering wheel unlocked but it does not need to be on.

We drive the mini up and connect the towbar, place it in neutral, release parking brake, turn off engine (key all the way to the off position). DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY. Steering wheel should be unlocked and the miles should not register.
NOTE: You can not just put the key into the ignition. If we accidentally remove the key, we just start the MINI again and then turn the key back to off.

I hope this is not too confusing.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
key required

For the 2007 we have a key fob and the button on the dash you push to start the vehicle. The fob has to be in in order to unlock the steering column. Maybe I looked at the trip odometer or something else as it seems that everyone who has a MINI says that it does NOT accumulate mileage. Thanks for the info.
drindone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad